Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 2017

Options
  • 21-06-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure there's a good few from these parts heading over. It's my first time doing it so any help or info would be greatly appreciated and it'd be good to see where everyone is in their preparation.
    Last year's thread was very informative :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have a place, but looking like dates dont work for me now. So gonna defer.

But look at old threads. When I did it a few years back boards folk stayed in the same hotel, and it was really close to start & a major train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I have a place, but looking like dates dont work for me now. So gonna defer.

But look at old threads. When I did it a few years back boards folk stayed in the same hotel, and it was really close to start & a major train station.

Yeah I've booked an Airbnb apartment in Schöneberg for the weekend, couple of k from the start, handy for public transport too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'm heading along to it also, haven't sorted anything out yet through. Must get onto my friend in Germany to see about organising something.

This is my third time there, it's a fantastic event. Support along the route is top notch. Can't really think of any advice to offer for it but expect a fairly crowded start, takes quite a while before you'll be able to run with a bit of space unless of course you fly off the front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

I have Berlin Marathon on my bucket list for the future. Do you have to qualify or is it a lottery system or how does it work?

deisedude wrote: »
    I have Berlin Marathon on my bucket list for the future. Do you have to qualify or is it a lottery system or how does it work?

There is a 'Fast Runner' qualifying time, think it's 2:45 :o if your under 45 and 2:55 if you're over 45, women's equivalents are 3:00 and 3:20. After that it's a lottery system. Not sure of the chances, but they're a lot better than London anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

healy1835 wrote: »
    There is a 'Fast Runner qualifying time, think it's 2:45 :o if your under 45 and 2:55 if you're over 45, women's equivalents are 3:00 and 3:20. After that it's a lottery system. Not sure of the chances, but they're a lot better than London anyway....

Lottery it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm planning to do it this year. I got in on the Lotto, not a hope of me ever getting a GFA time! Week 5 of training underway, with 16 weeks total planned, and a two week taper.

I've still not booked accommodation, but probably go for an AirBNB.

Is there anyone arriving in on the Saturday from Shannon and knows where the pick up etc is? Would be handy instead of feeling in the dark and hoping to get there on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I'm in on this also.. did it last year too..
    I''m gonna follow the 12 week p&d plan up to 55,starting next week
    It was fairly warm when we ran and is well supported.. just be comfortable drinking from cups/ all markers are in kms/the gels were horrible in my opinion, transport system is great and race number collection at the expo was effortless.. pints after were savage !!

quick feet wrote: »
    I'm in on this also.. did it last year too..
    I''m gonna follow the 12 week p&d plan up to 55,starting next week
    It was fairly warm when we ran and is well supported.. just be comfortable drinking from cups/ all markers are in kms/the gels were horrible in my opinion, transport system is great and race number collection at the expo was effortless.. pints after were savage !!

All sounds good :) yeah I didn't hear great things about the drinks/gels they had last year....Taxofit stuff....i emailed them to see if they were the supplier again this year as I wouldn't mind trying them out beforehand, they said that the official gel/drinks partner hasn't been decided yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm in for this as well... Although I'm not in great shape, I'm still looking forward to the experience..
    I'll be staying on for a few days after the mararhon to get to know the locals.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I'm in for this as well... Although I'm not in great shape, I'm still looking forward to the experience..
    I'll be staying on for a few days after the mararhon to get to know the locals.....

I'll ring ahead to let Berlin know Marty!! Rotterdam is still recovering from your visit I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm planning to do it this year. I got in on the Lotto, not a hope of me ever getting a GFA time! Week 5 of training underway, with 16 weeks total planned, and a two week taper.

I've still not booked accommodation, but probably go for an AirBNB.

Is there anyone arriving in on the Saturday from Shannon and knows where the pick up etc is? Would be handy instead of feeling in the dark and hoping to get there on time!

Hi Chris, Assuming the expo in the same location as last year. your ubahn stop is "Gleisdreieck". Expo is right outside from door of the station. Its easy to get to by ubahn and from memory only about 4 stops from Potsdammer Platz which is very central. I would suggest not attempting to get there on foot as the building itself is hidden from plain sight and you could end up getting tired and cranky!

So how's everyone's training coming along? Any warm up races on the horizon etc? Running 10miler in Castleblayney at the weekend and Tullamore Half Marathon myself.....

So how's everyone's training coming along? Any warm up races on the horizon etc? Running 10miler in Castleblayney at the weekend and Tullamore Half Marathon myself.....

It's getting close now isn't it ☺

Training going ok I guess, sometimes after doing a run which I find tough, I ask myself how the hellI'm gonna get through the marathon....

Still though, I guess I just gotta trust the work I put in. And on a more positive note, all these doubts seem to be reducing and my confidence seems to be on the rise.

I'm doing tullamore as the main tester... will also do streets of Galway around 12 Aug....

See you in tullamore ☺

I'm in for the rock n roll half and Frank Duffy 10,they tie in nicely with the P&d 12 week plan

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

quick feet wrote: »
    I'm in for the rock n roll half and Frank Duffy 10,they tie in nicely with the P&d 12 week plan

Really? There's no half on the p&d plan from memory? And I thought there was one 10k and one 10 mile or something like That?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I've got the Dingle marathon & two half's on the list before Berlin so will see how they work-out.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Really? There's no half on the p&d plan from memory? And I thought there was one 10k and one 10 mile or something like That?

The weekend of the r'n'r ties in with the 15miles with 12@m.p session on the plan..6 weeks to goal race , then the f.d10 is on the weekend of the 8-15k tune up race, (4 weeks to goal race)...I'm undecided Wether to try race the r'n'r or just follow the plan and do m.p miles..

Very meh, truthfully. I'm up to 17 miles, but I'm just not feeling any enjoyment from the training like I did the last two times. I'm probably going to take this race as a handy one though, as I'm in Berlin for 2 days after and I don't want to be crippled walking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Can't say I'm feeling a whole lot of love for training this time around, this time last year I was banging out session like there was no tomorrow. Kind of stumbling through the plan this time....energy levels are low etc..
    Although, chatting to the coach, he assures me that the approach this time has been very different to last year and I shouldn't be giving up hope of achieving a good time. ( came into the block on sustained high mileage as opposed to lower, more race focused last year)

We'll see how the next few weeks go !

• Advertisement

Emailed them about the on course gels and drinks this year and got the reply;

.....you for your E-Mail. We will serve sport-products from Multipower for the Berlin Marathon 2017. Detailed Information about that, will be communicated in few weeks on our Homepage.

Have seen them on occasion but never tried any of their products.

www.multipower.com

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Emailed them about the on course gels and drinks this year and got the reply;

.....you for your E-Mail. We will serve sport-products from Multipower for the Berlin Marathon 2017. Detailed Information about that, will be communicated in few weeks on our Homepage.

Have seen them on occasion but never tried any of their products.

www.multipower.com

Hopefully they will have examples at the expo. I'll never forget sticking a toffee caramel flavoured gel into the gob during chicago last year. Gagged for 2 miles.

Doing the Clonmel half this Sunday myself. A good tester to see where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

noelearly wrote: »
    Hopefully they will have examples at the expo. I'll never forget sticking a toffee caramel flavoured gel into the gob during chicago last year. Gagged for 2 miles.

Doing the Clonmel half this Sunday myself. A good tester to see where I'm at.

I did Berlin last year and will be back again this year. The gels are I think a local brand, I avoid just in case. Water is a plastic cup - the drinks stations were mayhem last year but it was hotter than usual. I do remember Red Bull at about 36/37k - I'll never forget the smell as I approached, it's a mixture of hot tar and sugar.

Seriously? Red Bull? Do you want to puke the last 5k? Christ!

I plan on bringing my own gels, and one bottle of water, maybe two if I can get a good belt, but it'd be even better if it was nice and wet :)

First 20 miler this weekend. Weather looking good for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

chrislad wrote: »
    Seriously? Red Bull? Do you want to puke the last 5k? Christ!

I plan on bringing my own gels, and one bottle of water, maybe two if I can get a good belt, but it'd be even better if it was nice and wet :)

First 20 miler this weekend. Weather looking good for it!

Can you bring gels on hand luggage flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Yes anything under 100ml

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Yes anything under 100ml

noelearly wrote: »

I was just thinking this the other day, and yes, but you need to go through the whole plastic bag crap that women have to go through with the make up. That could be dangerous, but not if it's in a plastic bag!

Lostnfound wrote: »
    I did Berlin last year and will be back again this year. The gels are I think a local brand, I avoid just in case. Water is a plastic cup - the drinks stations were mayhem last year but it was hotter than usual. I do remember Red Bull at about 36/37k - I'll never forget the smell as I approached, it's a mixture of hot tar and sugar.

Did the plastic cups have that foam/sponge bit in the top of the cup like rotterdam, or were they just plain open top cups??

I'm actually gagging reading about the redbull, can't stand the stuff , especially the smell.... As if my heart won't be racing enough ☺☺

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just normal cups. The red bull was mixed with water I think, but apart from the smell you also had about 10 meters where the ground was all sticky due to the Redbull being thrown down by runners. Wasn't the most pleasurable part of the race.

Advertisement