Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Did the plastic cups have that foam/sponge bit in the top of the cup like rotterdam, or were they just plain open top cups??

I'm actually gagging reading about the redbull, can't stand the stuff , especially the smell.... As if my heart won't be racing enough ☺☺

No the cups are one of the few negatives of the event not to the Rotterdam standard just basic watercooler issue, practice pinching to make a fig of 8 which makes it easier or you may have to stop altogether for a few quick glups

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

MacSwifty wrote: »
    No the cups are one of the few negatives of the event not to the Rotterdam standard just basic watercooler issue, practice pinching to make a fig of 8 which makes it easier or you may have to stop altogether for a few quick glups

Think I may have to stop to get enough on board, I found it a problem in Chicago last year. Hateful them cups.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I found them fine, don't see them as a negative at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

noelearly wrote: »
    Think I may have to stop to get enough on board, I found it a problem in Chicago last year. Hateful them cups.

It is an issue I tried straws last year but got no joy from them but feck it don't let it detract from another wise great event - best of luck - i didn't make the lottery
    this year but will hopefully go back again!!

MacSwifty wrote: »
    It is an issue I tried straws last year but got no joy from them but feck it don't let it detract from another wise great event - best of luck - i didn't make the lottery
    this year but will hopefully go back again!!

Yeah looking forward to it hopefully I get there in good shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Did the plastic cups have that foam/sponge bit in the top of the cup like rotterdam, or were they just plain open top cups??

I'm actually gagging reading about the redbull, can't stand the stuff , especially the smell.... As if my heart won't be racing enough ☺☺

They have normal cups so practice running towards a crowded drinks station and gulping and running. It wasn't too bad. I did Rotterdam with the sponge cups and found them difficult.

I've used a Camelbak belt in the past - might pack it this time with two 250ml emergency bottles on the back.

Last year it was hotter than usual but they had plenty of water and the fire brigade came out to hose us down aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm using a flip belt. I'm planning to get one of the bottles for it, and probably carry another. I'm not a fan of stopping for drinks, especially not in the second half of the race. I might not get back going again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

healy1835 wrote: »
    Emailed them about the on course gels and drinks this year and got the reply;

.....you for your E-Mail. We will serve sport-products from Multipower for the Berlin Marathon 2017. Detailed Information about that, will be communicated in few weeks on our Homepage.

Have seen them on occasion but never tried any of their products.

www.multipower.com

"The Gelzone is located at km 27,5 in Lentzeallee. Multipower Multicarbo Boost and Multipower Multicarbon Gel in the flavours Cola and Lemon will be offered."

Picked up a few of the Cola flavour online. Tried one during my long run last weekend. Pretty thick in its consistency compared to High5, Kinetica or Power Gel which are the 3 brands I've used in the past. Took it with some water and maybe it was because I haven't used many gels during this training block compared to the last couple, but it definitely seemed to kick in quickly enough. Gonna use one again in Tullamore again at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Hi All,

I hope your training is all going well. Unfortunately due to injury for the last few weeks I will not be making the start line. Does anyone know if you can defer entry for a year? I have emailed organisers but haven't heard anything back.

Cheers

Joe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear. I was in the same situation in 2015. Back then I was able to defer to 2016. They gave me a code that would give me an entry (with a 30 Euro discount) and also refunded any extras bought like T-shirt and medal engraving.

That meant I don't have to enter the lottery again but still had to pay for the following years entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 agapantas

Hi all,
    Great to find this thread, reading through I'm starting to get nervy and excited already!

Did you get the gels or the boost? I've just ordered some of the gels to try next weekend, not sure what the difference between them and the boost is though

agapantas wrote: »
    Did you get the gels or the boost? I've just ordered some of the gels to try next weekend, not sure what the difference between them and the boost is though

I got the Gel. I think the Boost is more a long the lines of an High 5 Isogel, or even an energy drink. They seem to come in 100ml pouches but I couldn't find them on ebay :)

I'll see how it goes down at the weekend and may just carry a couple of high 5 gels on the day.

I got the Gel. I think the Boost is more a long the lines of an High 5 Isogel, or even an energy drink. They seem to come in 100ml pouches but I couldn't find them on ebay :)

I'll see how it goes down at the weekend and may just carry a couple of high 5 gels on the day.

Thanks for the info. Did my 20 miler today, had 2 high 5s and wanted to take another but couldn't stomach it. This is only my second marathon-wish I kept a bit of a training log last time as I can't remember how many I took and when!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Am I correct in saying that a medical cert is not needed for Berlin?

Downtime wrote: »

I haven't see it mentioned anywhere so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Downtime wrote: »

No cert required. Think that's mainly a France and Italy thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Dingle marathon went ok on Sat which was badly needed to prove to myself I could still run a marathon! John Buckley 10m next w/end & then the Charleville half before facing the streets of Berlin. Should be an exciting day with three potential record breakers starting the race.

opus wrote: »
    Dingle marathon went ok on Sat which was badly needed to prove to myself I could still run a marathon! John Buckley 10m next w/end & then the Charleville half before facing the streets of Berlin. Should be an exciting day with three potential record breakers starting the race.

That's some build up! Marathon-10m-Half-Taper :)-Berlin :)

Love the John Buckley 10 miler won t be doing it myself this year just think it's too close to Berlin. You obviously have no fears about saving the legs with Charleville the week before Berlin.

Love the John Buckley 10 miler won t be doing it myself this year just think it's too close to Berlin. You obviously have no fears about saving the legs with Charleville the week before Berlin.

Agreed! I did Charleville last year, and I loved it, fantastic race, but I couldn't do it a week before Berlin. Best of luck with it, great spread afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Murph_D wrote: »
    No cert required. Think that's mainly a France and Italy thing!

Yeah thought so, was confusing myself.

That's some build up! Marathon-10m-Half-Taper :)-Berlin :)

Won't bore anyone a long story but I kind of fell off the running wagon after a bit of a disappointment at a target race at the start of June. Had a wake up call at the Clonmel half a few weeks back & realised I needed to do a lot more work if I'm going to survive running DCM with a friend hence I threw two extra 10m events into the mix.

Was always going to do the Charleville half as it's a great local event but needless to say won't be killing myself!

#beatberlin42 NEWS [english version below]

[ENGLISH]
    Are you ready to rumble? We've just started to send the start passes. So go and check your (spam) mail! But stay stay calm if your start pass doesn't show. Here's what to do:

1. Stay put. Sending 40.000 mails takes a while... even for a computer. So check back until tomorrow night.
    2. If still no mail shows, not even in your spam, go to your participant login to download it there: www.bit.ly/2iZ3llT
    3. If you don't have a login, please contact us here: www.bit.ly/2eAOEAp

:)

Mine arrived in my email today :o
    Anyone know if you are put into a wave directly by your previous finish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

agapantas wrote: »
    Mine arrived in my email today :o
    Anyone know if you are put into a wave directly by your previous finish time?
    Yep, ours arrived by email too yesterday.  Followed the link to the runners information, see there are three waves - 9:15, 9:35 & 10:00, go to page 14 and it says starting block position is A to H depending on the p.b. time submitted at registration.  Block H is for first time marathoners.  Anyone with 3:30 and lower is wave 1, 3:30.01 to 4:15.00 is wave two and all the rest are wave 3.  
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/participants-info.html#page/14

Thanks for that link. Really useful info in there, including that they still have the Red Bull/Water around mile 22 *puke*

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

Hi folks, been lurking here a while and just wanted to introduce myself ahead of Berlin in case any of our paths cross.

Hope training is going well for you all. I'm starting to get taper jitters where I just want to run more to stave off nerves and excitement ahead of the race.

It'll be my first time doing Berlin... any specific tips?? I'm planning on carrying a bit of water / gels after reading some of your previous experiences here. I will avoid Red Bull ; )

Training has been good for me and I'm hopeful of running well. Looking forward to the Moone 10k this weekend as a final tune up.

I probably end up heading over myself so if there are any plans for a pint after then I'd be keen to share some experiences of the day.

Best of luck,

HC

I probably end up heading over myself so if there are any plans for a pint after then I'd be keen to share some experiences of the day.

Best of luck,

HC

I'm sure there will be some plans for a pint (or even two) afterwards :) My memory of Berlin is that the start of the run is fairly congested as it took me almost 10k to catch a group of pacers one year even though I started less than 50m behind them. As well ignore the first water stop as it's manic.

My email arrived as well so all is looking well, my friend in Germany is sorting out somewhere to stay most likely airbnb so nothing much else to fret about now.

I'm sure there will be some plans for a pint (or even two) afterwards :) My memory of Berlin is that the start of the run is fairly congested as it took me almost 10k to catch a group of pacers one year even though I started less than 50m behind them. As well ignore the first water stop as it's manic.

My email arrived as well so all is looking well, my friend in Germany is sorting out somewhere to stay most likely airbnb so nothing much else to fret about now.

Out of interest what block did you start in? Think I'm in Block D so I have visions that Bekele and Kipchoge will have been presented with medals by the time I get motoring. Hoping to latch onto the 3 hour pacers if possible.

• Advertisement

Out of interest what block did you start in? Think I'm in Block D so I have visions that Bekele and Kipchoge will have been presented with medals by the time I get motoring. Hoping to latch onto the 3 hour pacers if possible.

They're not getting presented until the after party at half ten so you'll be grand! :)

Anyone flying from Shannon around 1pm on the Saturday who knows where they're going and wants to drag me to the Expo? :)

Advertisement