Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

chrislad wrote: »
    They're not getting presented until the after party at half ten so you'll be grand! :)

Anyone flying from Shannon around 1pm on the Saturday who knows where they're going and wants to drag me to the Expo? :)

Christ I didn't think you could fly direct from Shannon to Berlin? Sickened I've to drive to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

noelearly wrote: »
    Christ I didn't think you could fly direct from Shannon to Berlin? Sickened I've to drive to dublin.

I think it was a fairly new route when we booked it around Nov/Dec last year. Ryanair, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Out of interest what block did you start in? Think I'm in Block D so I have visions that Bekele and Kipchoge will have been presented with medals by the time I get motoring. Hoping to latch onto the 3 hour pacers if possible.

I had a look at the start card, it's not obvious to me which block I'm in unless I'm missing something very obvious :confused: Maybe cause I used a previous marathon time to qualify it makes a different.

My penance for blowing up at the Clonmel half is almost complete :) Did the JB 10m last night at what felt like a comfortable pace & threw in a bonus local 5k during the week. Mental note to self, don't enter a 5k a few days after a marathon :o

If the Charleville half goes ok next Sunday then I'll settle on a target for Berlin.

opus wrote: »
    I had a look at the start card, it's not obvious to me which block I'm in unless I'm missing something very obvious :confused: Maybe cause I used a previous marathon time to qualify it makes a different.

My penance for blowing up at the Clonmel half is almost complete :) Did the JB 10m last night at what felt like a comfortable pace & threw in a bonus local 5k during the week. Mental note to self, don't enter a 5k a few days after a marathon :o

If the Charleville half goes ok next Sunday then I'll settle on a target for Berlin.

I take it you done St Luke's Thursday night then on top of last night, tough going what time did you manage last night. Nice course for the John Buckley wind must have been a bummer??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I take it you done St Luke's Thursday night then on top of last night, tough going what time did you manage last night. Nice course for the John Buckley wind must have been a bummer??

Stab in the dark here but I'll go with 1.07.55 give or take a few seconds. Am I right?

• Advertisement

Yeah the St Lukes one, I really wanted to take in the bridge over the South Link in both directions in two races two days apart :) Wind was ok, only noticed it coming to the little hill when you get to the end of the Mahon walkway before turning right towards the bridge.

My plan was 4k beforehand (to get there & warmup), do the race at a smidgen under 3h marathon pace & then another 3k home afterwards, all went ok. Something similar in mind for Charleville now although that could all end in tears of course!
    Itziger wrote: »
    Stab in the dark here but I'll go with 1.07.55 give or take a few seconds. Am I right?

Good guess for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

16°C and a 66% chance of rain.....I think I'd take that considering the conditions of the last couple of years.

healy1835 wrote: »
    16°C and a 66% chance of rain.....I think I'd take that considering the conditions of the last couple of years.

As long as it's not windy I couldn't care what the weather's like. Bit far out to be any way accurate yet id imagine.

As long as it's not windy I couldn't care what the weather's like. Bit far out to be any way accurate yet id imagine.

Not at all!! Sure these forecasts are never wrong ;)

I would sacrifice my first born for rain. :D

• Advertisement

Steady on lads, I'm not even checking the weather for Charleville yet & that's next Sunday ;)

Steady on lads, I'm not even checking the weather for Charleville yet & that's next Sunday ;)

It's taper madness. Have to do something to fill the time! That said, I've never had an accurate forecast for a race so I'm not exactly banking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

How are the taper-crazies going folks? Logged a decent last interval run this morning so now feel like the taper begins properly here. Got a lot on a work etc for the next week and a half but my wee brain is just swimming with thoughts of Berlin! Can't wait.

How are the taper-crazies going folks? Logged a decent last interval run this morning so now feel like the taper begins properly here. Got a lot on a work etc for the next week and a half but my wee brain is just swimming with thoughts of Berlin!

I'm in bits bloody hate this taper phase. Have had a great training block but suddenly getting pains all over my left leg.

How are the taper-crazies going folks? Logged a decent last interval run this morning so now feel like the taper begins properly here. Got a lot on a work etc for the next week and a half but my wee brain is just swimming with thoughts of Berlin!

I'm in bits bloody hate this taper phase. Have had a great training block but suddenly getting pains all over my left leg.

Thank **** it's not just me. I did 4 miles day before and 5 miles last night. Not too fast, but my hips are sore, and getting pains on my left leg, which disappeared shortly after. I know it's all in my head but still.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

chrislad wrote: »

Thank **** it's not just me. I did 4 miles day before and 5 miles last night. Not too fast, but my hips are sore, and getting pains on my left leg, which disappeared shortly after. I know it's all in my head but still.....

Today was a day off for me and I just keep thinking about running! I'll get out for an easy few before work tomorrow then do a bit on Sunday.

I've not had phantom injuries yet...feel fat as anything tho now that mileage is dropping. Over thinking all the logistics of the trip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So I'm panicking a bit here... was looking at tracker there and when I entered my race number from start card I'm not there, some other dude listed.... Same when I enter my name!!!!!!!!

martyboy48 wrote: »
    So I'm panicking a bit here... was looking at tracker there and when I entered my race number from start card I'm not there, some other dude listed.... Same when I enter my name!!!!!!!!

I've used the contact-us-mail-type-thing on the website a couple of times and they're pretty prompt with answers. Usually within 24 hrs....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I've used the contact-us-mail-type-thing on the website a couple of times and they're pretty prompt with answers. Usually within 24 hrs....

Panic easing somewhat as I'm on the starting list on the website....
    Just the tracker that looks to be off..... 😊

**Edit** realised that that dude with my no was from last year... Tracker not updated with new participants yet ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Panic easing somewhat as I'm on the starting list on the website....
    Just the tracker that looks to be off..... 😊

**Edit** realised that that dude with my no was from last year... Tracker not updated with new participants yet ☺

Ya feckin blonde :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Yay! Just to add to the stress, we now have to play the "Will Ryanair Cancel Our Flights?" game! Will they cancel the one out so you can't do it, or will they strand you there?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey Folks a week to go. Chuck up one of them prediction tables there, la. Ye know the type, Bib, pb, target, actual.

Want something to occupy me next Sunday.

Since you asked so nicely :)

Name|Bib No:|PB|Target|Finish Time
    chrislad||04:26:27|04:14:59|

If I want to track I'll need a Bib number unless I know you by name, (Chris)

Bib 17893 PB 3:09:28 Target 2:59:59

But you knew all this already, I've no idea how to put it in that fancy table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Very jealous lads!

Waiting for the lottery registrations to be opened up for next year.

chrislad||04:26:27|04:14:59|
    Noelearly|17893|3:09:28|2:59:59||

There ya go!

chrislad|59372|04:26:27|04:14:59|
    Noelearly|17893|3:09:28|2:59:59||

Updated with bib

Managed to run the Charleville half without blowing up although did feel it in the last mile or so. Looking forward to seeing what happens in Berlin.

Here's hoping Ryanair don't stop me flying on Fri now!

• Advertisement

Managed to run the Charleville half without blowing up although did feel it in the last mile or so. Looking forward to seeing what happens in Berlin.

Here's hoping Ryanair don't stop me flying on Fri now!

Hopefully, though I think I should be okay. From what I'm been told, the cancellations are in Dublin only, and I'm flying out of Shannon so touch wood!

Advertisement