Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 2017

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Murph_D wrote: »
    1:21? That's a great time, Marty! :D
    Ha, just copped it there... And that was before I had a beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Brian O'Kelly(Crusaders) is an interesting one on that list. PB before was 2:41, finished with an impressive 2:32:58. Massive improvement.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Congratulations on the great results mentioned earlier!

Must say I really like the marathon in Berlin, it's just a great all round experience. Wasn't too worried about a time but did want to try out a pacing strategy recommended by a friend. Looked to work very well as felt nice and comfortable all way round.

I can post more info if anyone is interested but basically you start slow and speed up as the race progresses, felt like all the field passed me at the start, took 'til around 15k before I started holding position but you can guess what happened from 30k onwards! Felt grand afterwards so ended up walking around 10k around Berlin playing tourist.

Was nice to catch up with a few boardies afterwards in the Kilkenny. Gone south from Berlin now and seems I've been entered in a charity run tomorrow by one of my friends, going to see if l'll be able to keep up with her 9 year old doing laps of a park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Phone has been acting dodgy since I came home. Happy out with my time, I'll try and give a splendid Opus and Itzinger type race report later on this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Brian O'Kelly(Crusaders) is an interesting one on that list. PB before was 2:41, finished with an impressive 2:32:58. Massive improvement.

Brian wrote an excellent writeup of his training etc. going into the race:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nNGyeuGWOHKzsjapp8j7SrguVv_suRs8mmdY8sV1JJM/edit#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Singer wrote: »
    Brian wrote an excellent writeup of his training etc. going into the race:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nNGyeuGWOHKzsjapp8j7SrguVv_suRs8mmdY8sV1JJM/edit#

Thanks for sharing that.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Well folks never done anything like this before so excuse the many grammatical errors.

Berlin was my fourth marathon
    Cork 2015 3 hours 55m. Did this purely on spur of the moment myself an a buddy decided in February that it would be a great idea. Looking back we hadn't a bloody clue what we were at, I hadn't even done a 5k before nevermind a marathon but after giving up the football I decided I needed a handy? Hobby. I purchased a pair of Karrimor runners (couldn't commit to the dear stuff yet and away I went) my longest run was 18 miles and 34 miles was my longest week. No plan and as I said no clue. Week before the marathon I decided I better purchase proper runners so John Buckley in Cork said Asics were good and I was good to go. It rained like mad that day in cork and the sense of achievement I felt was unbelievable. I was hooked and the next morning while stuck to the bed I booked Dublin for the October.

Dublin October 2015.
    3.26. 29 minutes faster than Dublin. Took training more serious this time downloaded the Asics plan and upped my mileage to around 39 miles a week. Still didn't know what Interval running was or Fartlek and Yasso had a totally different meaning to me. Super time was had in Dublin ran side by side with another friend and spurred each other on the whole way. Delighted with myself

After Dublin I was struck down with a horrible virus and didn't do anything until nearly march. Weight was well down and I needed something to aim for. Enter the Chicago lottery which I got accepted for. Decided that I needed to do something about improving so purchased the Daniels and P&D books. Jesus that was a real eye opener, I kind of merged the 2 together as best I could and up the average to about 45 miles a week. I set myself goals to try and reach along the way, break 20 mins for a 5k (did) 33 for a 5 mile (Didnt) and 1.32 for a half (Didn't). Strangely enough I managed to get 1.06 for a 10 mile race in the lead up to chicago and this gave me great confidence to try for a 3.15. So off to Chicago I went and had a blast, having 3 sisters still living there and having lived there myself made it almost like a home marathon. Chicago is such a fantastic event and great course, everything about it exceeded my expectations including my time of 3.09. I'd definitely recommend it to anybody to do it if they can.

So another break was had, not enforced this time just felt I earned it. Between myself and the Mrs working shift work on opposite days I suppose guilt kicks in and it isn't feasible for me to go at it all year round and expect in-laws to look after the kids so I can go out for a 3 hour long run. In the meantime I won another lottery for Berlin 2/2 in the good old lotto. My wife wasn't too happy when I told her that it wasn't the lotto she thought it was when I was dancing around the kitchen saying I had won the lotto.

So in March i got back down to hitting the roads again. A 22 minute 5k(in my defense it was hilly)and 42 10k soon followed so i knew that to break the 3 hours I had to make serious adjustments to my training and lifestyle. So for the first time in 20 years I ditched my friend Benson and Hedges and joined a running club. Both decisions made all the difference, I couldn't believe the difference I felt now in my running. In the lead up to Berlin I knocked 1.35 of my 5k and 9 mins from my half marathon. My 5 mile time came down to 30.37. I tried my best to stick to the P&D 55-70 mile plan as best I could but it wasn't always possible to find the time. Over the training block i think I missed 9 sessions in total, I missed one 20 mile long run and that was the only one that annoyed me. Other times I was just too tired so listened to the body for once.

Berlin 2017
    Landed in Berlin Friday morning with the Mrs. First time in Berlin and what an amazing city, as said above by more distinguished wroters thwm me the transport system made it easy to get around. Made the mistake of hitting the Expo at Friday lunchtime. Couldn't handle the crowds so headed to the hotel after I got my bib. Did a trip to Alexander platz that evening as I booked to do the tv tower that night. Cool place, I know Itz didn't approve of my eating habits but the Kebabs just looked to tempting. I'm usually an early riser but when I'm away from home it's worse, so when the clock read 5.30 am I was disgusted, nothing else for it but to stretch the legs and do the breakfast run. I couldn't enjoy my egg and sausage mcmuffin thinking of Itz and his contempt for my eating like a pig comment from the previous day. The breakfast run was my highlight of the weekend ( marathon included) great buzz and relaxed atmosphere. Running into the Olympic stadium was brilliant and something I will never forget. Back to the hotel and the Mrs had just woken up at 11 (how do people do this). We decided to do a sightseeing bus tour thank God the skating was on because the option of a Hop on off tour was of table. The tour took 2 hours so plenty of time so drop by the Expo to see if I had missed out on anything the previous day. To tell you the truth I found it really disappointing, organised chaos really. I overheard an American saying let's go back to the water stand as it's the only thing free around this place. I could understand his point compared to the CHicago expo Berlin was well behind. Back to the hotel for a quick shower and dinner beside the hotel ( or so I thought ), a word of advise make a reservation the night before. Pasta is a hard thing to find on the night before a marathon. Eventually got something and back to the hotel for 9.30. The Garmin showed 15.3 miles total walked for the day, Crazy I know. Swear I wouldn't do it again ( made a similar mistake in Chicago).

Race day
    Woke before the wake up call, kidneys getting it's own back after forcing myself to drink 2 litres before bed. No way I'm getting back to sleep now so nothing else for it to leave the hotel at 6.30 and make my way to the start area. Had my usual coffee (why change) and forced more water and 2 croissants down my gob. As I was early the toilet queues were grand not like later when every tree in the Tiergarten was used. The security was fine no problems and much less hassle than Chicago where they nearly do a full cavity search.

I was in Block D in view maybe 5 rows back from the 3 hour pacers ( more on him later). Really packed as you would expect and not much chat, to be expected as my Spanish, Polish and German is fairly limited to hola Dora, Gdansk and Jurgen Klinsman. I was expecting it to be busy at the start and first few miles but it was relentless, heals got clipped 3 times during the first 8k. I can't remember when it started raining but definitely remember cursing when my new Adidas boost 3s went splashing into a big puddle. The water stations really proved a problem for me, the cups I was prepared for but didn't realise they were the type that disintegrated the minute you put them near your mouth. Also felt I was running on them for ages after. I dread to think what it was like for folks in the 2nd and 3rd waves. My pace was around 6.50 average for the first 6 miles. At no stage did I feel comfortable, felt the humidity and the crowd of runners made it hard to get into a good running rhythm. At 13k I had arranged to meet the wife who had a bottle of water with a zero tablet ready to go. During the tour the previous day I told her exactly where to stand, what I didn't account for was the U-Bahn station being on the opposite side of the road so she couldnt cross over to that side and by the time I managed to get over to her after about 50 skips and side lunges it was too late, I was 5 yards past her by the time she heard me calling her name, not only that she got such a fright she decided it would be a great idea to throw the bottle like a Javelin and nearly decapitated an old Japanese man in the process. Mortified by her antics and the many languages simultaneously swearing I decided it best to try and find a gap and push on to the pacer.

Where is this bloody pacer?? Could have sworn i seen him not that long ago. Turns out the pacer was doing very erratic pacing.

Went though half way in exactly 1.29. In my head i wanted a 1.27.30 o give me a cushion but i just didn't feel 100%, the humidity definitely had an effect and the bloody water stations were wrecking my head. Around the 15 mark I decided to up it, even on long runs on my own by upping the pace it tends to get me outta slumps. Thankfully it worked again this time.

Ah there is the pacer!! And the pacer doesn't look too good. Turns out the pacer looks about 12 and id have serious doubts the pacer broke 3 hours. Suddenly I see the pacer from the corral in front of me and this gives me a lift. I've stopped looking at my watch and just go with the flow keeping the better?? Pacer in front of me for 5k. Coming up to 32k banner my watch is 2.15. All I need now is 2 × 22.30 5ks and I've broken the 3 hours. In my wisdom I decide I'll go for 2× 20m 5ks and break 2.55. Maybe Itzinger was right!! I am a greedy pig.

Feeling good now at 35k as I passed my hotel. Where's the wife?? At the opposite side of the agreed side sitting on the kerb eating a bloody subway sandwich.Beside her is my lovely drink.What can i do but laugh.She later informs me the tracker was slow updating the little blue man and I was only at 30k when I passed by her.
    Left calf is starting to twinge at 38k and I can salt patches on my cheek. Only 4k to go so confident I can hold out. All my energy gels are well gone now at this stage, I packed 7 on my belt in total. I toyed with the idea of leaving the belt after me and just carrying 3 in my shorts. Thank God I didn't as no way would I be in the form to write this essay which is now in its 3rd hour (No joke). I earlier picked up 2 multipower gels that they gave out on course at 27.5. Took one out at 39.5k to get me over the hump I was now definitely feeling. No way would it go down my dry gob, water had the same effect only instead mixed with the gel it all came flying out my nose, lovely just what I needed puke flying out my nose on my way to immortality.

Where is this bloody Brandenburg gate?? I've Now giving up looking at my match or have the slightest idea what time I'm at. And there it is the beautiful gate. Only it's not how I imagined it in my dreams, there are photographers everywhere on the ground with cameras pointing up looking for a shot that captures some moment of sheer pain like London 2017 when that lad helped the other in the final 400 metres. Well it ain't gonna be me being helped or helping for that matter either.

2.56.39. If you had told me 2 years ago I would run that I wouldn't have thought it was possible.
    The feeling was of sheer relieve not overwhelming joy.I don't know why that is, maybe it's just a case of what now? For the other 3 I cried like a little baby, this time no tears just contentment and a lot of it.

After the race, the phone rings. Hi honey I'm so proud of you, thanks hon. Where you? I'm at the exit she says. Of course, it had to be the exit on the other bloody side .

Dublin now in 5 weeks. And I'm really gonna enjoy that.

noelearly wrote: »
    After the race, the phone rings. Hi honey I'm so proud of you, thanks hon. Where you? I'm at the exit she says. Of course, it had to be the exit on the other bloody side .

Dublin now in 5 weeks. And I'm really gonna enjoy that.

Heh. My wife was about 50m before the finish line, and missed me! I rang her when I finished, and she was swearing blind for about 2 minutes before she asked how I was. She had been there since before Kipchoge crossed to win! It's not like I was close behind either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Race being shown on Eir sports 2 tonight at 10:15......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Oh I am so hoping I will get lucky in the lottery :o

Berlin is my favourite city in Europe. Ive been on a break since Jungfrau last September but I'm just waiting for a go at Berlin to start going again

Was anyone else's GPS way out on the day? Mine ended up clocking 43.17km and I was pretty much on the blue line for the duration of the race......Now it didn't impact on my run at all, quite the opposite actually, as it really focused my concentration and efforts on keeping my pace even.
    I knew from previous year's forums that the GPS in Berlin was unreliable but I didn't expect it to be that far out. I remember going through the first km marker and the watch showing 1.2km! Is it a case that if your watch is out from the start there is a likelihood that it will continue in that fashion for the rest of the race?

healy1835 wrote: »
    Was anyone else's GPS way out on the day? Mine ended up clocking 43.17km and I was pretty much on the blue line for the duration of the race......Now it didn't impact on my run at all, quite the opposite actually, as it really focused my concentration and efforts on keeping my pace even.
    I knew from previous year's forums that the GPS in Berlin was unreliable but I didn't expect it to be that far out. I remember going through the first km marker and the watch showing 1.2km! Is it a case that if your watch is out from the start there is a likelihood that it will continue in that fashion for the rest of the race?

Yeah, mine was off by about half a mile. Which wasn't fun when my watch passed 26.2 miles, and I hadn't passed the 42km marker yet! :)

Came in at 26.3 miles for me... on the blue line when I could....

healy1835 wrote:
    Was anyone else's GPS way out on the day? Mine ended up clocking 43.17km and I was pretty much on the blue line for the duration of the race......Now it didn't impact on my run at all, quite the opposite actually, as it really focused my concentration and efforts on keeping my pace even. I knew from previous year's forums that the GPS in Berlin was unreliable but I didn't expect it to be that far out. I remember going through the first km marker and the watch showing 1.2km! Is it a case that if your watch is out from the start there is a likelihood that it will continue in that fashion for the rest of the race?

chrislad wrote:
    Yeah, mine was off by about half a mile. Which wasn't fun when my watch passed 26.2 miles, and I hadn't passed the 42km marker yet!

martyboy48 wrote:
    Came in at 26.3 miles for me... on the blue line when I could....

Just out of interest - what kind of watches do ye have? Did anyone have a watch with both GPS and GLONASS switched on?

920xt and I believe I have both switched on....
    I'll check when I get home....

martyboy48 wrote: »

Well if the other two lads had GPS only, then I think it's a good display of how having both switched on improves GPS accuracy when there are tall buildings around.

healy1835 wrote: »

I had 26.3 it read 1.1 at the first mile marker and stayed like that for the rest. It has been the nearest my GPS has been in marathon actually, I followed the blue line for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sounds short to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

42.44 on my 620, tried to keep to the blue line but didn't always manage it.

martyboy48 wrote: »

Actually have glonass switched off......

Just out of interest - what kind of watches do ye have? Did anyone have a watch with both GPS and GLONASS switched on?

Fenix 3......thought I had GLONASS on too, but just checked there now and it was off. Possibly reset itself after the last software update.....could explain it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

26.39 for myself, think GPS and glonass were switched on, it had been on the training runs,
    My watched has since died and gone to heaven so I can't check to find out for sure..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

New thread split off for the 2018 event. Hear here to continue:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831575

Advertisement