Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda for President

Options
  • 21-06-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Ok so he is not even out of the Taoiseachs post a wet week but is it too ambitious for him to look for the presidency if Michael D decides not too run in 2018?

Will his time in office be a platform for him to secure this post in front of the people? Are his failings too fresh in the public's minds for this to be even considered?

Certainly from a Mayo perspective he fell short in delivering a la Bertie to his constituents which is a sad indictment of his time in the highest office in the land. Plus his whingers comments are still fresh in the people of Castlebars minds.

He has the neck though.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

He wouldn't get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

George Hooke has started an "ANybody but Bertie Campaign"

I find Hooke annoying at times. The accent, the affected drawl, the pro-Trump codology.

His anti-Bertie shilling may induce many to vote Bertie

While Enda's delivery to Mayo was disappointing, he would still poll well in a Presidential Election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Nuac

Why did Enda feel unobligated to deliver for Mayo.

I am puzzled by this as it goes against all that a TD stands for.

Perhaps I am missing something as surely this is his first duty to return some benefit to his constituents?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

finisklin wrote: »
    Nuac

Perhaps I am missing something as surely this is his first duty to return some benefit to his constituents?

Knew him for years as a careful councillor and backbencher.

On being made Taoiseach I assume he considered, or was advised, that his decisions had mainly be in the national interest as opposed to just local needs.

It may be that a Minister has a freer hand e.g. P. Flynn pushed for road works and other local projects, or at least got the credit for same.

I think Ml Ring, as soon as he gets his feet under the desk, will follow the Flynn example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

He failed to deliver for Mayo cos he does not give a sh1te about his own people who still voted in massive numbers for him.
    The lack of job he created is just one of theses failures and even the ones the he promised turned out to be a load of bollox.
    It I'll be Europe for him they seem to love his sh1te over there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Kenny was head of a country and had to recover the country as best he could, It would have been a PR disaster for Mayo to do well in the middle of austerity.

Still, I feel it would be utter madness to attempt a presidential bid, his policies were a necessary evil and he will alway be aligned to that. He has done well for himself legacy wise overall and he would do well to stick to that and enjoy his pint in Cody's, a good length of a cycle and the big pension.

I would hope for a person who has done well in work towards bringing peace to the North, Micheal D will has been a very popular President and odds on favourite should he decide to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Doesn't Mayo, along with the rest of the west of Ireland, have all those tax-incentivised holiday homes resulting from his term as minister for tourism in the '90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    He wouldn't get my vote.

Would the stuttering bum get your vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

With both Ring and Enda in it wad noticeable to me that our roads were being looked after, as compared to before, when we were the pothole capital of the world.

Such ingratitude :)

Should Michael D step down, Enda would be a far better choice than Bertie imo. Already got that statesman look ;)

page21_kenny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Fair play,his cronyism was well covered up until the stroke with the Attorney General being appointed a judge.......then again if you were to examine some of the "appointments" made around the place,it seems no one is immune from this Irish culture of cronyism,why should Enda be any different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Our choice would want to stretch further than Bertie or Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

The notion that kenny did not deliver for mayo is laughable.
    He delivered for the whole country, and therefore by extension mayo.
    The turnaround from bankrupt, and almost destitute (remember when cowen told us we had six months money left) to where we are now is incredible given the timescale, and quite frankly does not get the attention it deserves.
    Mayo is doing ok, and will continue to do so, its just that those who like to moan want a target, a lightening rod so to speak and he just happens to fit the bill.
    As regards his legacy, well he is probably never going to get the credit he deserves as people have a short memory but Brendan Howlin did allude to it somewhat.
    Enda Kenny is the first taoiseach to leave office (since jack lynch, in my memory)
    with both the dignity and integrity of the office intact, and he would make an excellent president.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

unit 1 wrote: »
    The notion that kenny did not deliver for mayo is laughable.
    He delivered for the whole country, and therefore by extension mayo.
    The turnaround from bankrupt, and almost destitute (remember when cowen told us we had six months money left) to where we are now is incredible given the timescale, and quite frankly does not get the attention it deserves.
    Mayo is doing ok, and will continue to do so, its just that those who like to moan want a target, a lightening rod so to speak and he just happens to fit the bill.
    As regards his legacy, well he is probably never going to get the credit he deserves as people have a short memory but Brendan Howlin did allude to it somewhat.
    Enda Kenny is the first taoiseach to leave office (since jack lynch, in my memory)
    with both the dignity and integrity of the office intact, and he would make an excellent president.
    The yoke that replaced him will never be able to keep up.

Endas biggest failure has to be not finishing off FF in the 2016 general election. He had them on the ropes and especially given their recent performance in leaving the country in dire straits.

That has to be a regret as if we was more assured he could have secured a majority FG government and for future generations.

That would have been a crowning achievement and positioned him well for the presidency.

Once the Troika left, there was no follow on plan.
    Enda had promised change and failed to deliver. That sunk FG.

Some laughable comments here,might as well canonize Mr.Enda now!!
    Does anyone realise the suffering caused to the Ordinary Joe over Endas reign.He managed to clear Castlebar and many other west of Ireland towns of its youth due to his lack of job creation.
    Granted he was unlike Flynn,(who didnt give a fcuk but looked after his own),Or John O'Donoghue,who looked after his own place,or the Healy Raes who look after their own.Enda was like John Bruton ,he looked after himself and fcuk the rest.Building the mansion down in Kerry just says what he thinks of the gombeens that elected him time and time again in Mayo.
    Hopefully Mr.Ring will now be able to put your great county back on the map for all the right reasons seeing that the shackles are off.

Who built the mansion in Kerry - Enda?

Ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Some real laughable stuff here lads.

As for Enda for president, the only presidential position he would be interested in is the European one. He is off to Europe lads, Mark my words.

Big Phil, his close friend, will have done the homework there for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The parochial nature of some of the comments here are depressing, im no big fan of Enda but he was leader of the national Govt, it was not his brief nor should it have been to favour Mayo, si that really the kind of politics we want? Govt ministers delivering to their home areas regardless of any national development policy? P Flynn? Seriously do people really want the likes of him back in government?

Nuac

You truly are missing something. Yes lets have 160 TD's all shoving their snoutsin the trough to bring goodies back to the peasants. :rolleyes:

The political system that we have is client list. This is a fact whether we admit it or not. Some TDs and Taoisigh have embraced this as it helps them get re-elected. We know who they are - Flynn, Bertie and Lowry to name but a few. Indeed Michael Ring wasn't shy about announcing this at his welcoming party in Westport as minister for rural affairs.

I am a realist about politics and how it works. No question that Enda's constituents feel hard done by. They were hit by a massive recession that meant higher taxes and loss of jobs. Enda's didn't eleviate this one iota.

Lucky he won't be running as a TD again as he would be up against it.

Politics is broken and any idealist view of the role of TD not to deliver for his constituents but in favour of the greater good is misplaced.

That is not our system of politics.

Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant.

Best to flag this to Michael Ring and see what his response his......

What's Ring in charge of again? The rest of us won't see a bob in that area, you can be sure.

ethical wrote: »
    He managed to clear Castlebar and many other west of Ireland towns of its youth due to his lack of job creation..

WHAT ARE YOU ON! That was Fianna Fail that did that, did you miss 2008, Laughable!

The political system that we have is client list. This is a fact whether we admit it or not. Some TDs and Taoisigh have embraced this as it helps them get re-elected. We know who they are - Flynn, Bertie and Lowry to name but a few. Indeed Michael Ring wasn't shy about announcing this at his welcoming party in Westport as minister for rural affairs.

I am a realist about politics and how it works. No question that Enda's constituents feel hard done by. They were hit by a massive recession that meant higher taxes and loss of jobs. Enda's didn't eleviate this one iota.

Lucky he won't be running as a TD again as he would be up against it.

Politics is broken and any idealist view of the role of TD not to deliver for his constituents but in favour of the greater good is misplaced.

That is not our system of politics.

Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant.

Best to flag this to Michael Ring and see what his response his......

Without sounding like a pedantic prick its actually called clientelism but i largely agree with you, kinda depressing. The system encourages it

If Enda does run for President and assuming that there is no election in the meantime, does he have to resign his seat in the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

As a better man than me said "They come to do good, they stay to do well"

Ultimately Mayo is doomed, we export our best and brightest.

As a better man than me said "They come to do good, they stay to do well"

Ultimately Mayo is doomed, we export our best and brightest.

Why becasue viable employment is not there, we have the chance as a county to canvace for the reopneing of our western rail corridor and even get a connection to knock airport, will we do it no. some idiot wanting a greenway is getting more traction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really thought Ireland was pretty much out of the parochial mindset of 'we have a minister, we will be ok'. Its about running the country, not doing favours for neighbours.

Advertisement