Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda for President

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

looksee wrote: »
    I really thought Ireland was pretty much out of the parochial mindset of 'we have a minister, we will be ok'. Its about running the country, not doing favours for neighbours.

Absolutely, it should be about top down trickle effect. The country as a whole should come first.

Unfortunately, when you don't even get crumbs people will be clamoring for everything they can get by any means.

Do you honestly think someone in D4 gives a flying feck about a road between two bog towns in the "Whest" of Ireland.

Likewise do you think Maggie cares about all the job announcements and housing shortage in Dublin when her grandson has had to move to Sydney to get work?

The West has seen decades of neglect, marginalisation and outright thwarting of development. There are countless examples, Knock airport being the most obvious one.

We are left now in a situation where a town like Castlebar can not attract business no matter what incentive is thrown at the company. They will not get the workers of the skill they would require.

We can expect nothing different, we keep electing the same people with the same ideas. I despair that the current 4 tds are the best the county has to offer. It backs up my point about exporting our best and brightest, we are left with some real bottom of the barrel stuff in every respect. Still, maybe that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

looksee wrote: »
    I really thought Ireland was pretty much out of the parochial mindset of 'we have a minister, we will be ok'. Its about running the country, not doing favours for neighbours.

A lot of people will talk about getting rid of the parochial politics but when it comes to the crunch, personal interest trumps everything for most. I'll include myself in that bracket. I thought Enda did a good job for the Country and that was badly needed but I'm also excited by the prospect of Ring fencing money for the West.

People quickly forgave FF for their wreckless driving, they didn't like FG / IMF steering them back on track because it affected them more. The crash itself didn't hurt people, the measures needed to rectify it did.

The system doesn't really work (as well as it could / should). We should have a much smaller government with the skills needed for potential roles and a pure focus on running the Country. Local / Regional government should have more responsibility. Until that happens, we'll continue to get the same mish mash in the Dail.

Advertisement