Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating garage/shed

Options
  • 21-06-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

We bought a house a few years ago and there was a block built garage at the end of the garden. It had been derelict and fallen into disrepair. We had builders do some work for us and had them fix up the garage. They installed a new roof, door, window and ran electricity down to it. The shutter at the back (backs onto a laneway) was blocked up by previous owners. It was a pretty shoddy job with gaps around the blocks. The builders knocked this and did a proper job on it.

We've found out that the garage itself was built by the son of the owner and the son of the next door neighbour (they have an adjoining one too). So it wasn't built professionally but the builders didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Anyway, onto my question. The inside is just brick. I'd like to do it up myself and have the walls plastered and put in a ceiling too. Is this a DIY job or do I need to consider what shortcuts were taken when it was built? Damp proofing etc. The neighbour recently had a roof put on theirs (it had also fallen into disrepair), so that side is not suffering from damp anymore. There were small damp patches on that side when it rained.

I'd also like to put in kitchen cabinets and more sockets. It'll be used as a shed but I'd just like a better finish than it currently has.

Would battening and insulating between joists be ok? Or do I need to do something else? I'd like to put in a floor eventually too. Just concrete at the moment.
    Tagged:

Advertisement