Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birmingham (UK) - Getting to City Centre, Things to do Etc

Options
  • 21-06-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hello guys,

I am off to Birmingham with the little one for a couple of days for an event in a few weeks and just had some queries re: getting to the city centre and some things to do while there.

Flying into Birmingham international, I believe my best option is to hop on a train from the airport to New Street, is that correct? We are staying on Broad Street?

In terms of things to do - I had planned to go to Cadbury World (New Street station to Bournville station I believe?) and on Thursday's I note that they do a 2 for 1 offer which is perfect timing really. The next day I had planned to take in the Sea Life aquarium before we leave.

Anything else you recommend taking in or that we could quickly fit in while there?

From my own research, it seems that everything apart from Cadbury World is pretty much within walking distance anyway which is nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Train from Airport to New St. is the most convenient way into the city centre and it's a reasonably short walk from there to Broad St. As you have already seen, it's a relatively compact city centre so easily navigated on foot.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend stuff to do in the daytime as I go over for work, but in the evening there's a thriving bar scene with plenty of options for craft beer, some really good venues for music, comedy etc and some great places to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CrazyDizzy

What about Wildlife Conservation Park on Pershore Road? It's a little zoo with some endangered spieces, a wonderful place to visit with a kid. We've been there our last stay in Birmingham, my daughter liked watching the animals being feeded. After visiting the zoo we dropped in at the closest Selly Park Tavern, to feed our hungry baby))) Nothing special, but the food is tasty and the service is good. I enjoyed the dinner at Bistrot Pierre a beautifully decorated, cosy place serving French cuisine on the Gas street. Well, in the evening there are plenty of options for nice venues.

We've also been to the Sea Life centre, worth visiting, interesting for both children and their parents. But we did not even think of the Cadbury World. Guess, we should certainly go there next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd definitely recommend the Conservation Park on Pershore Road - probably my favourite part of Birmingham while living there for a couple of years - plus there's a nice park (Cannon Hill) behind it with a huge duck pond, where you can, if you are so inclined, get a pedalo, and the tavern Dizzy mentions is decent.

I thought the aquarium and Cadbury World were uninspiring, but maybe people in their late twenties aren't the target audience...

Take a wander around the canals/Brindley place/Gas St Basin etc while you're in the town centre - see all the narrowboats.

If you have time, taking the train (about an hour each way) to Stratford-upon-Avon for an afternoon is great fun - lovely little spot, even if you've no interest whatsoever in Shakespeare. If you do go there, the Butterfly Centre is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Wish I had thought to ask before going to spring fair was bored out of my head out there lol!

Advertisement