Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Boyne Valley - Sept 10th 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A constant moan of mine for sportive websites:

Put the fupping DATE of the event in the title!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

September 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Starting a new job so don't know if I'll be off or not yet, but I'll do this if I'm not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did this last year.
    It has the potential to be a great event.
    However, it was completely let down by the abysmal marshalling.
    I hope, that the organisers have taken on board the constructive criticism, that was levelled at them after last year's spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I hope so too eamonator. I did 14 sportives last year including the other two excellent celtic sportives. This was the worst. A lot of that was due to the cold miserable weather but there was an awful lot that could have been improved on.

• Advertisement

I have just noticed that this event is being hosted and organised by Drogheda Wheelers, a change from last year.
    I have no doubt, that there will be no cause for complaint this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have just noticed that this event is being hosted and organised by Drogheda Wheelers, a change from last year.
    I have no doubt, that there will be no cause for complaint this year.

Wasn't it organised by the same club last year?

That was a cold and miserable day in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Yup, I did it last year. Absolute miserable day didn't help it to be fair. Presume Stephen Roche isn't attaching himself to it this year.

Some constructive criticisms from last year left on their facebook page. Would hope they iron out the creases the second time around...and the weather is better :'(

https://www.facebook.com/BoyneValleyClassic/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf
    (Mixed this up with another sportive I did...the East Meath Tour which was organised by the Drogheda Wheelers)

P_1 wrote: »

Laurence Roche organised it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Jesus the complaints on the FB page, marshalling seemed to be an issue, but moaning about unmarked potholes?

• Advertisement

Jesus the complaints on the FB page, marshalling seemed to be an issue, but moaning about unmarked potholes?

Did you see the pictures of the road in question ? Like something out of a horror movie for cyclists :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

P_1 wrote: »

Not organised by Drogheda Wheelers last year but this year the club has taken it on as part of a general partnership with Skoda who sponsored Ras Na N'og earlier in the season..We very much hope that the organisation this year will banish all memories of last years efforts [and they will]

wav1 wrote: »
    Not organised by Drogheda Wheelers last year but this year the club has taken it on as part of a general partnership with Skoda who sponsored Ras Na N'og earlier in the season..We very much hope that the organisation this year will banish all memories of last years efforts [and they will]

As I said earlier, this has the potential to be a great Sportive.
    I feel confident, that this year, it WILL reach it's potential.
    Well done to DWCC for taking this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Apologies, mixed my clubs up :o

With the right weather it has the potential to be a great route. Up to Annagassan was glorious last year but the less said about the slog in the rain through Meath the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Never been part of sportives or any kind of organised rides, so sorry if this is a silky question, what are etiquttes of such an event other than being safe and road legal? Do you need to reasonably fast, or is it like take your time and finish? Any cut off times? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    Never been part of sportives or any kind of organised rides, so sorry if this is a silky question, what are etiquttes of such an event other than being safe and road legal? Do you need to reasonably fast, or is it like take your time and finish? Any cut off times? Thanks!
    You can travel at whatever speed suits you. Some will treat it like a race and hammer along at 35km/h but most people will be in the 25/26/27/28km/h bracket.Some sportives arrange riders into groups according to their normal speeds.

Generally cut off times are reasonably generous and would cater for those who may not average more than 20km/h. If you miss the cut off time, usually you can continue but it may mean that there may be no marshals/support near the end.

You will be expected to have a roadworthy bike and a helmet. You would also be expected to deal with standard punctures yourself - mechanical support is there for more serious issues.

EDIT: most also require a Cycling Ireland Licence. Sometimes it's possible to purchase a one day licence on the day.

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Anyone have a start time for this? Can't see one anywhere and the site just says it'll be updated...

Can't wait !!!!! Herself even got us matching jerseys because I'm told these things are important :rolleyes:

Now that start time is mentioned I thought it was 8:30 so I best double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can't wait !!!!! Herself even got us matching jerseys because I'm told these things are important :rolleyes:

His & Her jerseys... :D:D:D

(sorry Enfilade, I couldn't resist)

• Advertisement

His & Her jerseys... :D:D:D

(sorry Enfilade, I couldn't resist)

I'm just praying they look ok , haven't seen them. Was just told to keep an eye out for the post man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Anyone have a start time for this? Can't see one anywhere and the site just says it'll be updated...

This was annoying me too & I asked them on Fbook. Start time is 9.30

I'm told that registration is open on Saturday from 4.00pm-8.00pm and on Sunday Morning from 7.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

heraldo wrote: »
    This was annoying me too & I asked them on Fbook. Start time is 9.30

So things have changed since last Friday....
    Small changes to the routes and the start times:

Long Route – 155km starts 9:00am
    Medium Route – 105km starts at 9:30am

http://tourdeboynevalley.ie/event-faq/

hi

Anyone have an entry for this? I've a pal home from Oz interested in doing it.

thanks

hi

thanks

Someone had some over in the ads http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057783713 not sure if they are still available or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

hi

thanks
    PM me and I may be able to sort something

Registered this evening.
    If the set up was anything to go by, this will be a great day tomorrow.
    All the volunteers were in matching T-shirts and the whole thing was very professional, the personification of efficiency

wav1 wrote: »
    PM me and I may be able to sort something

I have an entry if anyone wants it. PM me.

• Advertisement

I'm looking to swap a large jacket for a medium one.

Advertisement