Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Private v Dealer?

• 21-06-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a bike in about a month or so after IBT, the usual 600CC starting off routine. I've been browsing the various dealers and done deal and seems to me that the dealer warranty adds roughly around 400 - 600 bills in some cases to a bike Id be considering.

I get the obvious advantage of a dealer but think the choice is limited enough from what I've seen online and buying privately casts a wider net to get a bike that I'll enjoy, Im just wondering if anyone has hired a mechanic to give a bike a "look over" on a private sale, is this a done thing?

Any advice appreciated,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah its the done thing. No harm in having a 2nd set of eyes - mechanic or a biker mate who has a good bit of knowledge and can spot things you may not even consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I've no mates :pac:, so I'm hiring a mechanic I guess, anyone has any recommendations in Dublin that'd be great ... for a mechanic that is, I'll work on the social skills later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm no mechanic but could have a look for you if you don't get somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

GBX wrote: »
    I'm no mechanic but could have a look for you if you don't get somebody.

Much obliged to ya GBX thats sound, likely be a bandit/hornet some such machine, most likely mid July Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I threw a mate of a mate a few quid when I was buying my last bike. He knew everything about them so some piece of mind when buying it. Never used a mechanic I didn't know

• Advertisement
Advertisement