Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diseased Conifer tree - help needed

Options
  • 21-06-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there.

A large well established conifer tree in my garden is starting to show serious signs of disease. I'm hoping to be able to save it, as it is a nice corner piece to the bed it is in.

Am trying to add a picture but I can't so I know this post is useless without it.

Old picture gone. Still not able to add new picture. Sorry. Can anyone advise. The pictures are on my local pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Am trying to add a picture but I can't so I know this post is useless without it.
    The image is private to your own dropbox. You need to make it public.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Muttley_666

Trying to link to my picture..
    z8FTYf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Are there any other signs of disease or damage?
    Have you trimmed the plant?
    Is there any sign of white under the bark.
    Is the ground under the plant baked hard,
    When did the damage start to show.
    So many things......

Hi there.
    There is another conifer in the garden starting to show the same issues. There is also a cherry blossom that is worse for wear - and that started to show disease last year.
    The tree is trimmed each year spring and autumn.
    I haven't checked under the bark - will do.
    The ground under the tree is compact enough, as there is a shrub close by and the area is covered in small stones to keep weeding / maintenance to a minimum.
    Damage started to show this growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

My first thought would be frost damage. By trimming too early or too late in the year you expose "softer" growth that is easily damaged by an early or late frost.Was the other Conifer trimmed at the same time?

My second thought is s bit more worrying given the cherry is not doing so well either. How far apart are the conifers and cherry that are having problems.

Have you noticed any mushroomy growths in your garden?

Have a look at the Base of a Conifer for damage or under the basal bark for white strands..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

I'm so sorry to see your beautiful tree in that condition. I don't have any answers but the same thing happened to us last year. We had two low growing conifers, (loved them) we had them for years and for some reason they went brown and eventually died.

sorry - wasn't online for a few days. Cheery is maybe 15 feet to the first conifer - across a lawn. Second conifer is across a stoned driveway - another 15 feet. The lawn does tend to suffer from damp - some moss and the like during the winter.
    Other tress were all cut at the same time - we are pretty careful about cutting them at decent times of the year...

Advertisement