Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike!

Options
  • 21-06-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Not for me unfortunately, but I had the recent pleasure of recommending, and then helping with the setup of, a lovely new Rose Pro SL-2000 (link). I've always liked Rose bikes and the recent 5-star review in Bike Radar for this exact model (link) was a factor in the decision to purchase this lovely machine:

420457.JPG

It arrived in a large box and needed minimal work to get it roadworthy:
    • Straighten and rotate Handlebars. Tighten everything up.
    • Fit Pedals
    • Slacken off front brakes to allow front wheel on (and adjust up afterwards)
    • Fit front wheel
    • Fit and adjust Saddle / Seat pillar to fit rider.

So nothing complicated. Eh, except for the handlebars - it's actually very difficult to get them pointing exactly in the right direction. Took about 3 attempts!

The bike has the full 5800-series 105 groupset fitted. Despite the fact that this is the same as I have on my own bike, it was a revelation; snick-snick gear changes are very nice. I think I need to adjust my own gears - front and back ...

The only small negative is that Rose don't appear to give anything away with the bike anymore. I'd have expected some allen keys at a minimum (got an allen key multitool from Wiggle when I bought my own bike 3 years ago) or even some freebies. I got a mug from Rose when I bought parts off them in the past, and online youtube videos suggested they might throw in a bag or a tee-shirt. But, no, there was nothing :-(

Other than that small whinge, the experience was very positive. The frame is aluminium and the setup is more sporty than my Felt Z6. Without pedals, the 57cm frame came in at approximately 8.6 KGs. I also ensured the order included a spare headset and derailleur hanger, the reasoning being that it is much easier to do this now than in a few years time, when the exact version might be hard to determine. For anyone who is interested, this is what's needed for the Pro SL-2000 (verified by Rose):
    • Headset is a "ROSE IS42/IS52 Drop In 1 1/8"-1.5" headset (46 mm)" (link)
    • Hanger is a "ROSE derailleur hanger 01" (link)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I've had one of these for 3 years now and love it. It is all you say and more and no problems over that time.

Kind of like the lad in the shaver as,
    I liked it so much I've just bought a Rose carbon bike. Awaiting the delivery date to be finalised but looking like about one week. Anticipation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

rtmie wrote: »
    I've had one of these for 3 years now and love it. It is all you say and more and no problems over that time.

Kind of like the lad in the shaver as,
    I liked it so much I've just bought a Rose carbon bike. Awaiting the delivery date to be finalised but looking like about one week. Anticipation.....

Hope the new one serves you as well - what new model did you go for?

WRT the anticipation, as you may know, a lot of the German companies send stuff through DHL to your local Post Office and An Post's tracking seems to be a few days behind the current real status. Add to that, Rose sent me my order in 2 boxes but never told me. You should have seen the surprise on my face when the box came in:

• Great, the new bike. !
    • Oh, how did they fit it into that?
    :confused: :eek: :mad: :D

From confirmed delivery on the 1st June, the bike (which was in stock) arrived about 2 weeks later on the 15th.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on when it comes in. Indeed, maybe this thread could be for all new bike experiences?

I went for a Xeon CRS ( a bike I don't need, and which my fitness doesn't justify - but y'know shiny and all, and want to try a carbon bike once in my life).
    I am expecting local leg via AnPost alright. As of now Rose showing date of dispatch as "approx one week" - presumably from order confirmation, so allowing for local AnPost leg should have it sometime in first week of July hopefully.
    I'll update when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm seriously considering a Rose, but can't quite make up my mind whether to go for a Pro CGF-2000 (carbon frame, 11spd 105 7.4kg - e1649) or a Pro SL -3000 (alu frame, 11spd Ultegra,7.6kg - e1449). I've never ridden a carbon framed bike so I'm not sure if it is worth paying the extra, and if I did , would I notice much difference. It would be used mainly for weekend spins and sportives.
    Also looking at this: https://shop.base2race.ie/products/orro-pyro-105-2015, but Rose seem to be way more established which would give me greater confidence

In my experience the Pro-SL does everything, but I have BTW due and I guess I am treating myself. 
    One thing to consider is that on the typical Irish backroads where the top surface is tarred on gravel rather than tarmac, the pro-sl kwill transmit a bit of that to you, but nothing that would be bothersome IMO. I did get a a carbon seatpost for mine (the config allowed that at the time). In theory the carbon  CGF might absorb some more of this,  apparently it will also accomodate a 28 tyre which again may help in that regard.

• Advertisement

Xeon CRS arrived on Monday. Well in fact they didn't have the frame so gave me a Xeon CRS x-lite instead at no extra cost :-) . Shipped on the day they commited and shipping time one week.
    About 20 minutes to put together, basically pop in front wheel, loosen stem and turn 90 degrees to point bars to front, put seat/stem into frame. Took a quick measure of seat to centre of cranks from other bike to get me started. Attach pedals and go for a spin.
    Just had a couple of short spins ~30k. Loving it. The stiffness makes it great fun to ride. Very pleased with the bike and service and obvs extra pleased with the 'upgrade'

rtmie wrote: »
    Xeon CRS arrived on Monday. Well in fact they didn't have the frame so gave me a Xeon CRS x-lite instead at no extra cost :-) . Shipped on the day they commited and shipping time one week.
    About 20 minutes to put together, basically pop in front wheel, loosen stem and turn 90 degrees to point bars to front, put seat/stem into frame. Took a quick measure of seat to centre of cranks from other bike to get me started. Attach pedals and go for a spin.
    Just had a couple of short spins ~30k. Loving it. The stiffness makes it great fun to ride. Very pleased with the bike and service and obvs extra pleased with the 'upgrade'

Sounds great - best of luck!

Any freebies in the box?

No freebies in the box. Don't think they do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

would the btw scheme be applicable to this?

Depends on your company.

The BTW scheme only covers a bike and accessories up to €1K. You can spend anything you like in theory beyond that, but will have to fund it out of your pocket - net salary. Some companies are ok with this, some are not and impose the €1K limit on the purchase with no option to spend more.

Likewise the Bricks & Mortar Vs online question. The legislation doesn't care, your company might.

When I last did the BTW, the organisation I worked for were very flexible - spend what you like where you like. That's changed now: Limit on spending to €1K and can only only buy in specified Bricks & Mortar place :mad:

• Advertisement

Depends on employer. In my case yes it was not a problem but a lot of companies only deal with voucher scheme for some reason. Check the btw megathread.

Advertisement