Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King of the Vikings Waterford!

Options
  • 21-06-2017 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Well I recently went to the King of the Vikings in Waterford. Tickets are 7 euro which I think is worth it. Its quite an immersive experience and surreal. The virtual reality system really takes you back in time.

I'd definitely recommend it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I really wanted to find out what it was like. We're going back down home for a few days in August and I'm dying to try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

heard this is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Must go to this sometime sounds cool. How does it work ??? Do u have the VR headset on you the whole time, are there different rooms ???

I love the medieval museum, Bishops palace is good but not fantastic same with Reg towers

Too me it's a bit odd to visit tourist attractions in your own home town (visiting museums is a real holdiay thing) but always good to support the local scene

Strongly thinking of going back too college too finsih my degree in tourism marketing . Tourism is starting to boom again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Must go to this sometime sounds cool. How does it work ??? Do u have the VR headset on you the whole time, are there different rooms ???

I love the medieval museum, Bishops palace is good but not fantastic same with Reg towers

Too me it's a bit odd to visit tourist attractions in your own home town (visiting museums is a real holdiay thing) but always good to support the local scene

Strongly thinking of going back too college too finsih my degree in tourism marketing . Tourism is starting to boom again

You go into a reproduction viking house. There will be two actors who will speak for about 10 minutes and then you will have the VR set put on you. It was my first time trying VR. The VR experience is out of the world. It genuninely feels like you have been transported back in time when you put it on!

I wouldn't really recommend for children as it can be a little frightening, as goes for people with epilepsy ec!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Would it be suitable for 9 - 13 year olds and how long does it last please?

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    Would it be suitable for 9 - 13 year olds and how long does it last please?

It lasts about 35 minutes! they might enjoy it! they might love it! maybe give it ago!

I did have a problem however. When I was there my time was cut short because some tour leader from the epic tours decided he would barge in on us to he could show some American tourists the Viking house. I found this quite discourteous as I paid money for the full time.

I have some friends visiting me soon and I'm looking for some touristy things to do with them. Two of them don't speak any english. Obviously we can translate anything before the VR but would the VR experience itself be any good if you don't speak English?

I have some friends visiting me soon and I'm looking for some touristy things to do with them. Two of them don't speak any english. Obviously we can translate anything before the VR but would the VR experience itself be any good if you don't speak English?

Well, each VR set is actually individual. The headset is in English. I could find out for you as a friend of mine works there.

Well, each VR set is actually individual. The headset is in English. I could find out for you as a friend of mine works there.

Thanks so much Mrnotlob606. I'd really appreciate that.

• Advertisement

It lasts about 35 minutes! they might enjoy it! they might love it! maybe give it ago!

Thank you, I'll take them along next week, do I need to book in advance?

Thank you, I'll take them along next week, do I need to book in advance?

It would be recommended. The numbers going there can be unpredictable. Sometimes it can be packed out, but when I was there, there were only 4 people. I'd book just in case.

Thanks so much Mrnotlob606. I'd really appreciate that.

Well, he just got back to me. He said have it in German and French but that facility has not been set up yet. So it is only in English for now.

Well, he just got back to me. He said have it in German and French but that facility has not been set up yet. So it is only in English for now.

Oh thanks for letting me know. They don't speak those languages either :(

Do you actually need to understand what's been said to enjoy the experience?

Oh thanks for letting me know. They don't speak those languages either :(

Do you actually need to understand what's been said to enjoy the experience?

well it can be quite enjoyable without listening! I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was being said

well it can be quite enjoyable without listening! I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was being said

Maybe we'll give it a go anyway then! Thanks again for your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's looks great, we passed while a family was just leaving and they said they loved it.

I had all the cousins with me, but I'd say it's better for the older ones, so I'll wait for a day I only have them.

Honestly it looks great and I didn't mention Celt world once!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have day off coming up soon, looking forward to trying it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Honestly it looks great and I didn't mention Celt world once!

Ugh shudder. Bad memories. That and the Dinosaur place that replaces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ugh shudder. Bad memories. That and the Dinosaur place that replaces it.

Remember I was too scared too go into that when I was young lol

Deff going to make my way down too the Viking thing over the summer

• Advertisement

We went to this after school today, it was excellent and it's very well done. I'd recommend it.

We went to this after school today, it was excellent and it's very well done. I'd recommend it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Would you agree that it would still be enjoyable even if you couldn't understand what's being said?

Edited to add: did you book in advance?

It was in English bit I reckon non-English speakers would enjoy it even if they couldn't understand it as the images are great. I thought we'd be walking around with the headsets on but we were seated and the time flew by.

I booked it yesterday, we were the only ones in there.

The 9 year old (youngest) was a bit scared at one bit so they let him watch it on a laptop and then he put the headset on for the rest of it. The children loved it and spent a while chatting about it afterwards. I don't think young children would get much enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Did this, absolutely fantastic, simple as that.credit to city council, actors, lads involved in construction...job magnificently done.

Agreed Max, it is quite a unique experience!

Advertisement