Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the pc world.

Options
  • 21-06-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey, I'm currently switching from console to pc (as many of my friends have hounded me for years with "pc master race" lol) I wish to go for a desktop gaming pc. My budget is 2500 euro, any tips on what's the best I could get for my money? (I can stretch to 3000 euro)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    Hey, I'm currently switching from console to pc (as many of my friends have hounded me for years with "pc master race" lol) I wish to go for a desktop gaming pc. My budget is 2500 euro, any tips on what's the best I could get for my money? (I can stretch to 3000 euro)

Im sure someone will come along with a seriously nice build. But i cant see you needing to spend anywhere near that amount of money if its just a high end gaming build you after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Could you fill this out? Makes it easier for the lads to give recommendations.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

1. 3000 euro
    2.Gaming (Player unknown battle grounds, CS:GO,Payday 2, friday the 13th, etc)
    3.Yes
    4.No (only ever used laptops)
    5.Yes
    5A.22'
    5B.(No current monitor)
    6.Yes (keyboard, wireless card, card reader and speakers)
    7.Not sure? (I heard that overclocking is pushing components way passed its limits, if its safe then yes if not no)
    8.Credit card
    9.It depends on price (if over 2000 possibly august) (any less sooner)
    10.I would probably need help building it, but I'm located in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

3,000 is overkill for what you want to do. For 1,500 you'd get a killer rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

all depends on your video card and monitor. They really drive up the cost.
    Also have you a computer desk and chair?

• Advertisement

3,000 is overkill for what you want to do. For 1,500 you'd get a killer rig.

Agreed.

Are you just looking to play games at 1080p60fps OP? With your budget you could push to 1440p120fps or even 4k.

1440p60 is probably a nice place to be though.

Is a 22' monitor a requirement?

Was going to mention the monitor. I think you'd regret a 22". A 27" is a good size to go for and seeing as you have the budget for it i'd go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

22" is tiny... maybe it's just because you're used to laptops but I'd say anything less than 24" is a waste when investing so much into a proper PC

I'm use to laptops so I guess I didn't think about size to well, I'd definitely go bigger.

I'm generally just looking to play 1080p 60fps

22' is not a requirement.

I have a computer chair and desk.

Guess you've a €2000 budget for today's steam sale

I'm rusty ATM but will give you a build this evening if not beaten to it

*edit* Is it tomorrow?

Regardless, sign up for this deal

https://www.paypal.com/es/webapps/mpp/offers?view=details&offerId=6JQPNKCVTNPEN

€5 back for spending €20 on Steam through PayPal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If going to 27" I'd say go 1440p. Bigger screens mean less pixels per inch so the bigger you go the higher resolution you want to go.

Nothing looks worse than low PPI on a PC monitor that's close to you. 1080p is fine up to around 24". 27-32" 1440p. Anything bigger 4k.

@Digital alright thank you!

@Blood

Well I'd like 27-32 inch but I can only go as far a 3000 euro on my budget for my whole setup so I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it, I could be completely wrong though based on price that is.

PCs are way cheaper than you're imagining, a 1080p60 ready build wouldn't be much over €1000, €1500 for a dickswinging maximum

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    @Digital alright thank you!

@Blood

Well I'd like 27-32 inch but I can only go as far a 3000 euro on my budget for my whole setup so I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it, I could be completely wrong though based on price that is.

You can go a lot bigger with €3000 budget :eek:

A really nice G-sync 27" 1440p 144hz monitor is probably going to cost roughly €600 which leaves you with €2400 to spend on the build which is way more than you need.

Yup, i took delivery of a G-sync 27" 1440p 165hz monitor two days ago for 600euro. You're laugin' with a budget of 3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

€1500 for a dickswinging maximum

Love it!

OP I'd recommend 1440p and 27 inch and you'll still be well below budget.

The lads here will give you an awesome build well inside budget so you'll have a little bit left over to buy something for herself to make up for all the time you'll spend on your new computer!

Appreciating the comments lads, I guess I made too many assumptions in my head.

Does anyone know what a good setup is? parts etc? I know the previous man said he'd list them later on today, hopefully he does.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£298.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£34.59 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£107.39 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£120.08 @ More Computers)
    Storage: OCZ - TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4GB Dual Video Card (£214.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£41.99 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS (UK) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit (£89.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1140.47
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 22:58 BST+0100

Just under €1350, no monitor, keyboard, speakers or wireless card though.

I don't know monitors, keyboards or speakers so I can't recommend (I'd actually recommend headphones).

For internet, have a look into a set of homeplugs. They carry an Ethernet connection through wall sockets so you get a faster and more stable connection than WiFi.

I'm not 100% up to speed on modern hardware so this may need refining but it should be a start. It's also a pretty powerful PC, you could tone a lot of this back and not lose much performance for 1080p60 tbh.

I'd expect to spend circa €220-250 on a monitor, €90-150 on headphones/speakers, €40 for homeplugs and €20-€120 depending on how much you want to spend on your keyboard.

Rough guideline prices, a €20 and €120 keyboard will game the same

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would have thought a gtx 1070 at the very least would be the way to go considering their budget. You'd be hard pressed to find Amd cards in stock anywhere at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm all for AMD as I have a Fury X and 144Hz 1440p Freesync monitor but I reckon a 1070 at minimum is best with a 27" 1440p 144Hz GSync monitor especially since he has the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Lads would you consider buying a build second-hand or is that generally advised against? Warranties would be the obvious issue.

all depends on the sellers feedback really.
    You'd want to know the exact specs etc.
    The last thing you want to do is buy one, then go to upgrade and discover the board is too old for your new cpu or the PSU doesnt' have enough power to drive your new video card.

For 2grand you would buy a fantastic PC gaming at 1440p on a g sync monitor.
    If you wanted to go cheaper then as people said for ?1200 or so you could game at 1080p on a 27" inch free sync monitor etc.
    Its completely upto you on how you want to go about it.

Me for example.
    I sold mine last year to put a deposit on a car I wanted.
    A few months later I put together a ?1100 build that was pretty good and came with a 27" 1080p monitor. I already had a video card from my old system. Fast forward a few months and I spend the bones of another 1500 or so upgrading chassis, cpu,gpu etc.
    So you could start out small and see how it goes and then upgrade as required.
    Get a good chassis though , plenty of space and cooling,,none of those cheap ?50 chassis. Spend over ?130 on one and it will last you 8-9 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Good info there, thanks.

Hey OP:

The below is overkill for what you need but it would give you an idea of what you could do for around the £2000 mark. I'd use it as guidance to start a pick and mix process:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£306.89 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£28.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£136.06 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.87 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£144.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£488.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.85 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit (£89.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Asus - PB278QR 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£349.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Corsair - STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech - G300S Wired Optical Mouse (£75.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £2007.88
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 11:00 BST+0100

I took the prices from Amazon only and I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse included. No speakers or headphones though. No wifi but it works out cheaper to buy a USB wifi dongle than get it on board a Z270 board.

This also only has a 500GB SSD - if you need extra storage a HDD could be added.

Edit: Apologies a mini-atx board hat slipped in instead of an ATX board!

P.S. - I used most of your 2.5k budget so apologise to your missus - she won't get that dinner out after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey OP:

The below is overkill for what you need but it would give you an idea of what you could do for around the £2000 mark. I'd use it as guidance to start a pick and mix process:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£306.89 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£28.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£136.06 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.87 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£144.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£488.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.85 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Asus - PB278QR 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£349.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Corsair - STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech - G300S Wired Optical Mouse (£75.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £2007.88
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 11:00 BST+0100

I took the prices from Amazon only and I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse included. No speakers or headphones though. No wifi but it works out cheaper to buy a USB wifi dongle than get it on board a Z270 board.

This also only has a 500GB SSD - if you need extra storage a HDD could be added.

Edit: Apologies a mini-atx board hat slipped in instead of an ATX board!
    1440p @ 60Hz is a disservice tbh :pac:

Your biggest decision is around your monitor and video card.
    Do you want to go with gsync or with Ati's freesync (freesync monitors are a lot cheaper). Are you happy with 1080p gaming or want higher.
    Most people game at 1080p or so. It's only the rare few of us that game above it at the moment due to price etc.
    You could save around €300 together on these if you went the AMD route.
    I think once you make that decision it would be better as I imagine all of us here will easily hit 2-3K on your build as you can see from below.

For instance the below build is a g-sync build with a 1080ti video card and a dell 27" inch g-sync monitor.
    I have the dell monitor and a normal 1080 and gaming is fantastic on it.
    I've also included a creative x-fi sound card. I know people say on-board is as good but quite simply its not. I'm playing battlegrounds and the people playing with me cannot accurately determine the source of gunfire as accurately as I can and they now rely on me to tell them.
    I used to be a big fan of Corsair chassis but I love the new Phanteks range and you can bling it up if you like.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D3pjD8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With that kind of budget AMD GPU is only an option if you're satisfied with 1080P (RX580 8GB).

Otherwise it should be a GTX1070 ideally, or if you're actually willing to spend your budget and can afford to do so, a GTX1080Ti with a 1440P 144hz monitor like in the build above.

Money can be shaved away from that of course to bring it closer to £2k - lose the X-Fi, cheaper motherboard, just use the Intel stock cooler, get a cheaper keyboard/mouse, just use a trial copy of Win10 (almost zero difference to retail and works indefinitely), cheaper power supply, etc.

I would say simply if you are willing to invest the 3K though - the build above is pretty damn good.

If you're somewhat willing but wouldn't mind saving some money, get a more basic i7-7700K + GTX1070 build with a 1440P non-gsync monitor and save about £1k (but still play all games at 1440p ultra at 60fps).

If you're happy with 1080P then a completely different build to run all games at 1080p ultra would cost far less than that again (about £1K in total) - Ryzen 1600, RX580 8GB based machine with a good quality 24" 1080p monitor.

It just struck me that with the OP not being too sure about building and having a good budget he could always look into buying something from Alienware.

Wouldn't usually be my advice but in this case it might be worth it for the peace of mind. He didn't specifically say he wanted to build it himself.

• Advertisement

Advertisement