Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change locks or rekey?

Options
  • 21-06-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a new house and wondering what I should do about locks on external doors.

I've read you can "rekey" so the old key doesn't work and the new key cut to the new configuration will work. I've read elsewhere that I should just change the lock.

It's a new build house if that makes a difference. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Are they standard euro type cylinders?

If so I would recommend anti snap replacement barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

kub wrote: »
    Are they standard euro type cylinders?

If so I would recommend anti snap replacement barrels.

Thanks. Not sure what type of cylinders - they are Munster Joinery doors is all I know.

Who would I get to fit anti snap replacement barrels, would your local locksmith fit these?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The likes of B&Q do them and they're not too expensive. You've just got to get the right length and offset.

Info on measuring them here
    http://www.upgrademylock.com/upgrade-my-lock/how/

colm_mcm wrote:
    The likes of B&Q do them and they're not too expensive. You've just got to get the right length and offset.

Are you sure about that, just I assumed it was more the forte of professional locksmiths

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

did it myself in the same situation last year, hardly even needed the youtube videos I'd looked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Thanks. I might give a go so. Just whip out the old lock, measure it, get new one (that is anti snap) and pop it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look at Avocet ABS, the locks are snap proof and the keys can not be made by other locksmiths...

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/pages/the-abs-lock-range

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks. I might give a go so. Just whip out the old lock, measure it, get new one (that is anti snap) and pop it in?

Its that easy, anti-snap/anti-bump :D
    This info should help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have a look at Avocet ABS, the locks are snap proof and the keys can not be made by other locksmiths...

They are designed to snap but not in the same way as the Euro barrels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you're going to swap them, go for these. More expensive, but more than worth it when you see how easy the locks can be bypassed.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Are you sure about that, just I assumed it was more the forte of professional locksmiths

Quite sure. Less than a minutes work.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Quite sure. Less than a minutes work.

I know it is less than a minutes work as I have done lots of replacements
    What I was referring to was the suppliers, you mentioned the likes of B&Q, my reference to professional locksmiths was that I assumed only they would have a stock of anti snap barrels.

No, B&Q definitely have them. The ones I saw had the higher security dimpled keys too. Think they were Yale branded.

http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/news/2013/articles/new-cylinder/

You are on the ball, of course Yale products are available in most hardware outlets, I forget that Yale are part of Assa Abloy now so they would of course have a huge range of locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

uberwolf wrote:
    did it myself in the same situation last year, hardly even needed the youtube videos I'd looked up

It's a very simple job. I used to get locksmiths to do it until I saw just how simple it is

For newer locks you'll need the key for the old one you are taking out as you need to turn the key a bit to line it up to slip out.

Dyno locks have Garrison.
    There's lots of places to these types of ati bump and snap locks.

Note you'll have to take the lock out to measure it

Try to get keyed alike units saves on keys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

Stoner wrote: »
    It's a very simple job. I used to get locksmiths to do it until I saw just how simple it is

For newer locks you'll need the key for the old one you are taking out as you need to turn the key a bit to line it up to slip out.

Dyno locks have Garrison.
    There's lots of places to these types of ati bump and snap locks.

Note you'll have to take the lock out to measure it

Try to get keyed alike units saves on keys etc

Make sure you start the job early in the day and when hardware/DIY shops are open in case you hit a snag and need to buy additional materials. As stated above it's a pretty straightforward job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I bought Avocet ABS locks recently. I got a set of 3 keyed alike locks so the front and back doors are on the same key, and extra keys. They worked out about 1/3 cheaper than buying from the Irish distributors including Parcel Motel costs.

Be careful to specify the outside/inside dimensions correctly. The anti snap bit must be on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.abloy.co.uk/en/abloy/abloy-co-uk/Products-MPC/?groupId=4961&productId=10339

I use these locks, can be keyed alike, or configured in a master key arrangement for a number of premises.

They are unpickable as 13 disks have to be lined up in the lock, they are expensive however but in my case worth it for the peace of mind.

Advertisement