Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of the Phormiums

Options
  • 21-06-2017 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is normal for phormium or not but the one that was in my front garden when I moved here a year ago looks like it's making a bid to take over the world.
    The exact scale isn't clear but I have to get up on a step ladder to change the bulb in that lamp. The tallest of the shoots are in the region of 10-12 feet tall.

I'll leave it alone for the Summer as it looks like some lovely flowers are starting to appear but is there anything I can do to prune it back later in the year or next Spring?

Cheers!

hArKXuZl.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wait till spring, and cut it all the way back to the base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers,

Like scalp it right back? Seems severe. Although the Fuchsias my father cut right back don't seem too worse for wear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just did a quick google to make sure i'm not spouting nonsense, and i think i'm in the clear:

http://northcoastgardening.com/2014/01/how-to-prune-ornamental-grass/

that's a *little* off topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers,

I'd do well to get in at the base of either of them. Next year's job either way.

Thanks once more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I suggest using a hedge trimmers with sharpened blades. It'd be torture to do it with a secateurs/scissors.

I know one man who prunes his right down every year and it comes back very healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I suggest using a hedge trimmers with sharpened blades. It'd be torture to do it with a secateurs/scissors.

I know one man who prunes his right down every year and it comes back very healthy.

Good to know! Mine isn't quite as triffid-like as the OP, but it's taking up a fair whack of its bed.

I assume they can be divided at the root too?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Yeah they respond well to division.

Advertisement