Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding compost under a pepper plant in a pot?

Options
  • 21-06-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I have some tomato plants which I have been looking after for a few months now.

I have 2 pepper plants too. When I was repotting them, I potted them deeper. Because I read about that being good for some plants, ie the tomato ones. The peppers are very low in the pot now.

I haven't added the extra soil yet to bury the the stem a bit, as I was waiting for the first leaves to die off. But I don't think pepper plants should be buried deeper. I was going to add more soil to the bottom but this would involve taking the plant out, adding the soil and putting it back.

Would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

I would add compost up to the first set of leaves but no deeper. This has worked for me especially for one that is a bit 'leggy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Wheety wrote: »
    I have some tomato plants which I have been looking after for a few months now.

I have 2 pepper plants too. When I was repotting them, I potted them deeper. Because I read about that being good for some plants, ie the tomato ones. The peppers are very low in the pot now.

I haven't added the extra soil yet to bury the the stem a bit, as I was waiting for the first leaves to die off. But I don't think pepper plants should be buried deeper. I was going to add more soil to the bottom but this would involve taking the plant out, adding the soil and putting it back.

Would this work?

Chillies are not potted as deeply as tomatoes..Tomatoes can grow roots from their stems so that is why it can be done..Chillies should not be potted above their seed leaves generally..
    Taking it out and re-potting will work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Chillies are not potted as deeply as tomatoes..Tomatoes can grow roots from their stems so that is why it can be done..Chillies should not be potted above their seed leaves generally..
    Taking it out and re-potting will work

I've bought a slightly bigger pot and I'm going to repot them at the right height in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Wheety wrote: »
    I've bought a slightly bigger pot and I'm going to repot them at the right height in that.

throw some chicken manure pellets in when doing it if you can....

Advertisement