Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP inspection

Options
  • 21-06-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I'm currently a tenant, considering going on council house waiting list so I can apply for HAP as financially things have been difficult the past while.
    I've been in the same rental property almost 7 years now. About 4 or 5 years ago the council came to do an inspection which went fine.
    Just needed to install a extractor fan in downstairs toilet and a carbon monoxide alarm in the living room which the landlord sorted straight away.
    My question is, will the council need to do another inspection if I'm accepted to the hap scheme? and if so will it be much different to the "regular" checks the council do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Oh really?? That'd suit me fine if they said the same to me tbh.
    The house is 100% as far as I'm concerned.
    Thinking about it, when they called to inspect, it was fairly casual. Like they asked if there was a fire blanket and extinguisher but didn't ask to see them.
    I've had a good relationship with the landlord from the start so I don't want to bring unnecessary bother on him. Like I said the house is absolutely fine as it is in my eyes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I have been on HAP in Offaly since January. No sign of an inspection so I called the council. They said perhaps they would inspect at the end of the year but could come sooner if I wanted. I told her I don't care if you never come here and she said:

"Alright, we won't come then".

Highly irregular (and to be honest- saying something like this in public is waving a red flag if any Department staff read it).

Department policy is *all* properties let under HAP- will be inspected as soon as possible and at least once every 24 months thereafter. It is not in the giving of a local authority to brush off inspection requirements in the manner in which you are stating Offaly appear to be doing.

Advertisement