Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

after a section??

Options
  • 21-06-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi
    I've recently had an emergency c section and have 2 questions.
    First one is regarding Ted stockings, I was told I had to wear them at all times for 6 weeks!! That seems so long to me just wondering how long has others worn them for? My public health nurse said to take them off at night if I wanted an to wear during the day.

Also regarding pain relief, I was told to take panadol every 6 hours along with my difene twice a day, but just wondering how long can I actually take the panadol for?
    Thanks for any advice or opinions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Re the stockings, nothing was mentioned to me in the hospital about wearing them once I was discharged. I live in a different hospital catchment area to where I gave birth, so the phns were use to dealing with a different hospital. Only one PHN that I saw said that I should be wearing them and that my local hospital recommends wearing them for 6 weeks. I would ask your GP/PHN for their advice.

Regarding pain relief I had a 3 day supply of diaphine (I think). I took that and then only took over the counter pain relief when I needed to. I think I took paracetamol and neurofen depending on the pain. But I didn't need to take it regularly or on a schedule.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I struck a deal with my PHN about those stockings around the third week as it was in a heatwave- If I took a (gentle!) walk every day then I could leave them off me. I put the baby in a sling and would do a very slow stroll a couple of times a day.

They do have an important purpose as awful as they are, but talk to the PHN and let them risk assess you as I think if you are on your feet and taking gentle exercise then the risk of clots etc is much reduced.

I was on those meds for 5 days then paracetamol after that for I think about 2 weeks. That's something to check with your pharmacist though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh god those socks :( I had forgotten about those. I'm having a section soon again.

I didn't wear them after a few days in the hospital. Maybe it's all different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

They took my stockings off when i left the hospital and never said anything about wearing them longer!
    As for pain relief I was on loads of oxycon and oxynorm as well as the 6 hourly paracetamol as I pulled my staples twice trying to get out of bed as no one around to help me! But as soon as I left hospital I was off the opioids and just on paracetamol which I took for about 3 weeks I think and just gradually came off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thanks for replies, yes they are awful things to have to wear especially in this heat and u want to go somewhere but have to totally cover up to hide the stockings... I was thinking if I want to go out somewhere I might just take the stockings off an put back on when I get home...
    I wonder is it ok to wear a support vest top to hold in my tummy or am I doing damage squeezing in my belly area...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I don't know about doing damage, but it was about 6 weeks post op before I could wear anything around my scar line as it was too sensitive. As far as I remember (jez you would think it was years ago seeing as I can't remember anything for definite!!!!) I wore my partner's tracksuit bottoms and pj bottoms for the first few weeks because I could pull them up higher over my waist than my own pants, including any maternity stuff I had. And because I was breastfeeding I wore a tank top/string top combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

jackben wrote: »
    Hi
    I've recently had an emergency c section and have 2 questions.
    First one is regarding Ted stockings, I was told I had to wear them at all times for 6 weeks!! That seems so long to me just wondering how long has others worn them for? My public health nurse said to take them off at night if I wanted an to wear during the day.

Also regarding pain relief, I was told to take panadol every 6 hours along with my difene twice a day, but just wondering how long can I actually take the panadol for?
    Thanks for any advice or opinions....

Have had 2 sections, one planned and one emergency and have never even heard of those socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Have had 2 sections, one planned and one emergency and have never even heard of those socks!

Me either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Took mine off on day 3 and binned them as I was leaving the hospital. Smelly rotten things. Have had 4 sections and never wore them home. As for meds, see how you feel. Pain reduces greatly once you're up and about as you'll be less stiff. Mind the difene - they can irritate your stomach. I had to stop taking them but managed on paracetamol.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Please don't give the OP advice that contradicts what she's got from a medical professional. It's against site-wide rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The stockings are intended to help prevent blood clots that can occur after surgery. I'd follow your doctors advice. Some people have greater risk depending on certain factors eg. If surgery was longer than a certain period or if they're deemed to be at greater risk of stroke or clotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thank u all for ur replies and advice.... Just wondered what others went through after c section.... It's just it was emergency section so was a shock I wasn't prepared for it at all so I think I'm still coming to terms with it all..... As my other kids were natural deliverys this was all strange an new to me an the aftercare I'm finding strange/hard to deal with that I can't drive,, have to wear those stockings, being a different sore an tender than u would be with a natural delivery,, and afraid to put anything tight clothes wise on me incase it makes things worse....
    Anyway time will pass an it will be all fine in time I'm sure☺☺☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Definitely follow the advice of your consultant regarding how long to wear the TED stockings, some people have a higher risk of developing DVT after surgery and this is why it is recommended to wear them for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I had an emcs, had to wear the stockings for 6 weeks through a very warm April and May. Miserable and ugly, but they have a purpose. I wore my maternity jeans for a few weeks so they were soft on the scar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I had emergency section in May, no socks prescribed to me on discharge but I mobilised from 24 hours after op and have no risk factors for DVT so maybe that is why. I didn't wear socks from day 2 post op but got heparin shots until discharge on day 5.
    You can take paracetamol for as long as you need it but you should't take anti-inflammatories like difene indefinitely as they have side effects; check with your GP if your pain is not being adequately controlled.

Advertisement