Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Females only?

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

What on earth is that about? Ever since I arrived back in Ireland I've noticed it more and more.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its discriminatory- a landlord cannot discriminate on any of a number of grounds- of which sex is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

FireFoxBoy wrote: »
    What on earth is that about? Ever since I arrived back in Ireland I've noticed it more and more.

Are they house shares or entire rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

House share / room to let - OK. That said, many people say mixed house shares induce better behaviour than single-sex house shares.

Letting, sale - not OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

It's blatantly sexist, and discriminatory.

but women get away with it because they're girls and they need to be "protected" .

They justify is for the fear of being raped, or brutalised by a man (men aren't all animals)

There's nothing you can do about it really. But let me put it to you this way would you like to live surrounded by catty bullplop like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

It's blatantly sexist, and discriminatory.

but women get away with it because they're girls and they need to be "protected" .

They justify is for the fear of being raped, or brutalised by a man (men aren't all animals)

There's nothing you can do about it really. But let me put it to you this way would you like to live surrounded by catty bullplop like that?

I think the reason is more likely to be the shortage of men who CLEAN after they use kitchen/bathroom/sitting room. While they may clean superficially, e.g. wash their cup and plate, few will follow up removing crumbs, sweeping floor and drying and putting away their stuff. I blame their mothers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

This anti discrimination thing is rubbish anyway. My house was up for letting a few years ago as I had a 12 month overseas contract.

I wanted to let it to a family with children older than the "draw on the walls with markers' phase.

Not a bunch of guys, a bunch of girls (gay or straight, black or white) but a family.

My letting agent did just that for me, found the tenants I wanted and explained it was definitely only 12 months. They were model tenants, I didn't put the boot in with the rent kept it a bit below market rate and everyone was happy.

Did I discriminate? Absolutely I did. But it was my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

BabySlam wrote: »
    I think the reason is more likely to be the shortage of men who CLEAN after they use kitchen/bathroom/sitting room. While they may clean superficially, e.g. wash their cup and plate, few will follow up removing crumbs, sweeping floor and drying and putting away their stuff. I blame their mothers.

And fathers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

This gets trotted out every time and it's total crap. For every man that can't / won't clean and lives like a pig, I can show you a woman that's the exact same. Both sexes have their number of filthy animals.

If you're gonna stereotype about how men can't clean, can I stereotype about how women can't work etc etc

Yawns wrote: »
    This gets trotted out every time and it's total crap. For every man that can't / won't clean and lives like a pig, I can show you a woman that's the exact same. Both sexes have their number of filthy animals.

If you're gonna stereotype about how men can't clean, can I stereotype about how women can't work etc etc

I was responding to the person who suggested females seek females to share with due to fear of rape, and it seems much more likely to me that they prefer them for the reason I gave. No need to assume I am sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Definitely, my mother never taught me how to fill the dishwasher correctly and so the cycle continues, I plead with my wife regularly not to let this happen to our children

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I was responding to the person who suggested females seek females to share with due to fear of rape, and it seems much more likely to me that they prefer them for the reason I gave. No need to assume I am sexist.

You are being sexist. You blamed the mothers. Why didn't you blame the fathers? I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Definitely, my mother never taught me how to fill the dishwasher correctly and so the cycle continues, I plead with my wife regularly not to let this happen to our children

Surely if you're not filling the dishwasher the cycle cannot continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Your post is the definition of sexism, prejudice based purely on someone's sex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Nah, I'm not having that.

In my experience, females are just as likely to be clean/dirty domestically as males. It's down to the individual rather than the sex.

Probably the least clean individual I've lived with happened to be a woman- yet I don't extrapolate that out to say ALL women are filthy creatures. It's just the way it fell.

Advertising a room as strictly female or male only or refusing to accommodate solely on the basis of the sex is narrow minded, sexist and fundamentally unfair.

But it tends to be men who get discriminated against this way so we hear little about it outside personal discussion. If it were overwhelmingly women getting wronged like this the issue would have made its way into the media by now. Some of the professionally offended women's groups and feminist commentators would run wild with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

bmwguy wrote:
    Did I discriminate? Absolutely I did. But it was my property.

Technically it's your property,but the second you let it out, it becomes the Tennant's home along with all the rights that come with that word.

No need to assume I am sexist.

It's a reasonable assumption given that your reply was sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Well, think of it this way: If you're a female, sharing with 2 females, would you want a guy in between? I won't? For the simple reason it breaks the routine. All of the sudden, female products need to be hidden ( female shame hasn't subsided there) you can't walk around with a towel only anymore (god forbid he would see that and think something) etc. Same for a man, sharing with other guys only - all of the sudden the typical ' male' talk is kind of censored cause you have to behave, she might take offense. I think in a house share situation it's just easier to share with same sex. It's very rare to see a balance 2 on 2 share situation and there's complications in that as well. Some might end up in a couple situation forming a front against the other 2. But,Ll should not have a preference.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You are being sexist. You blamed the mothers. Why didn't you blame the fathers? I blame the parents.

Because it is more usual in Ireland that females take or assume responsibility for cleaning; if a family had a puncture when driving it would be a good role model for the daughters to see their mum fix the puncture because it is more usual that the guy fixes it - so to explain it very simply to you, children generally use same sex adults as the basis of their own role identity and seeing the opposite parent do something is less impactful on their self development. It is not sexist to notice the roles people usually fulfil, it is commentary. Adults of either sex who appropriate roles which prevent the other sex from participating are not doing any favors to their dependents.

DeadHand wrote: »
    It's a reasonable assumption given that your reply was sexist.

Hilarious you have nothing to say about Post #5 which I responded to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It may be sexist etc. to advertise this way but the reality guys is this: when someone takes in a new housemate they make the decision based on what they're comfortable with.

Lets say this kind of advertising is banned. You will spend your time replying to ads who have no interest in you as a housemate anyway.

Even if it was taken a step further and people were somehow forced to share a house with someone they weren't comfortable with, would you like to be sharing with them?

It's just a reality. People have a right to choose who they live with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yes they do. But if it was in reverse there would be uproar. If that number of ads said male only and not female only, then it would have already made media headlines etc etc. It might be reality but you still can't discriminate based on gender regardless. Pubs still are not allowed to stop travellers from drinking in them because they are travellers. Reality is most pubs find ways to stop them but they don't put a sign up on the door saying no travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's likely covered under the Equal Status Act but it seems nobody is taking a case for some reason.

You can't discriminate against either gender like that.

Hilarious you have nothing to say about Post #5 which I responded to.

Yes, clearly it forced you to make a sexist contribution.

Own your prejudices, at least.

Well, think of it this way: If you're a female, sharing with 2 females, would you want a guy in between? I won't? For the simple reason it breaks the routine. All of the sudden, female products need to be hidden ( female shame hasn't subsided there) you can't walk around with a towel only anymore (god forbid he would see that and think something) etc. Same for a man, sharing with other guys only - all of the sudden the typical ' male' talk is kind of censored cause you have to behave, she might take offense. I think in a house share situation it's just easier to share with same sex. It's very rare to see a balance 2 on 2 share situation and there's complications in that as well. Some might end up in a couple situation forming a front against the other 2. But,Ll should not have a preference.

I don't know what kind of guys you know but any adult male I've lived with wouldn't blink twice at the sight of a woman in a towel or burst into flames if confronted with a box of tampax. Unless you've lived with some highly unusual guys I'd venture that your argument is rooted more in your own preconceptions and insecurities than experience and reality.

What, pray tell, is "typical male talk"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yawns wrote: »
    Yes they do. But if it was in reverse there would be uproar. If that number of ads said male only and not female only, then it would have already made media headlines etc etc. It might be reality but you still can't discriminate based on gender regardless. Pubs still are not allowed to stop travellers from drinking in them because they are travellers. Reality is most pubs find ways to stop them but they don't put a sign up on the door saying no travellers.

This is my point though. Banning advertising of preferences doesn't make a blind bit of a difference to the reality of the situation.

I feel for men looking for accommodation but I'm simply pointing out would you rather be wasting your time answering ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

DeadHand wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of guys you know but any adult male I've lived with wouldn't blink twice at the sight of a woman in a towel or burst into flames if confronted with a box of tampax. Unless you've lived with some highly unusual guys I'd venture that your argument is rooted more in your own preconceptions and insecurities than experience and reality.

What, pray tell, is "typical male talk"?

Well, thats your opinion, but I can guarantee you it's not correct.
    Whats typical ' male ' talk? the same as typical ' female' talk.Take of it what you may - no skin of my nose.:D

Well, thats your opinion, but I can guarantee you it's not correct.
    Whats typical ' male ' talk? the same as typical ' female' talk.Take of it what you may - no skin of my nose.:D

No, that's my experience.

All I take from it so far is you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Technically it's your property,but the second you let it out, it becomes the Tennant's home along with all the rights that come with that word.

The very reason he wanted to carefully choose his tenants I'd say.

I don't know how to quote multiple times on my phone but I have seen male only ads too and no uproar in the media as it has been suggested.

In saying that, I think a person in his or her own home should be allowed to choose who they live with. Whether it's advertised or not people are still going to filter based on their own preferences anyway. This way it just saves time for everyone involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- this is not an appropriate venue for a male versus female- or stereotypes thread. If you really want to hold such a discussion- please take it elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Guys- this is not an appropriate venue for a male versus female- or stereotypes thread. If you really want to hold such a discussion- please take it elsewhere.

All the stereotypes are coming from one side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement