Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Females only?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DeadHand wrote: »
    All the stereotypes are coming from one side.

Regardless- this is not an appropriate venue- please take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All of the sudden, female products need to be hidden ( female shame hasn't subsided there) you can't walk around with a towel only anymore (god forbid he would see that and think something) etc. Same for a man, sharing with other guys only - all of the sudden the typical ' male' talk is kind of censored cause you have to behave, she might take offense.
    This is not only sexist, it's quite heteronormative.

I genuinely have no idea what "he would see [you walking around wearing a towel] and think something" means.

Think what? That you're going to a toga party?

It seems like if it's OK to say "females only" on a houseshare it must also be OK to say "straight women or gay men only". What's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Well, think of it this way: If you're a female, sharing with 2 females, would you want a guy in between? I won't? For the simple reason it breaks the routine. All of the sudden, female products need to be hidden ( female shame hasn't subsided there)

God forbid a man thinks you use tampons... What's next? Imagine the outrage that will start advertising for 'female products' in the media?
    you can't walk around with a towel only anymore (god forbid he would see that and think something) etc.

Think what exactly? Do you think so little of men, that if they see you in a towel that you are suggesting something? Its really condescending.
    Same for a man, sharing with other guys only - all of the sudden the typical ' male' talk is kind of censored cause you have to behave, she might take offense.

So you never heard of a women discussing sex before? I find that hard to believe...

This post honestly reads straight out of 1963 Catholic Ireland ie men are all crude, only want sex and women need to appear innocent.

OP if you are reading posts female only, I imagine it is not coming from a landlord. I have been into hundreds of rental properties and women are the dirtiest by far. There is nothing like scrubbing 12 months of fake tan and foundation off a white wall when women move out (It has happened several times). Female tenants not always(but often) gang up on each other. It is more common for female tenants to move out mid-tenancy than with males over name calling and general pettiness. Mixed tenancies generally have less issues tenants tend to be more conscious about cleanliness, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I blame the fodginers, if we didn't have such a massive influx, there wouldn't be such a mad pissyness about supply.

Then the Queers, the norms, the guys and the girls could roam free in shared accommodation with towels and we'd all have a very merry Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Definitely, my mother never taught me how to fill the dishwasher correctly and so the cycle continues, I plead with my wife regularly not to let this happen to our children

Ok, I'll be the one to put my hand up and ask what's the correct way to fill the dishwasher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

It's blatantly sexist, and discriminatory.

but women get away with it because they're girls and they need to be "protected" .

They justify is for the fear of being raped, or brutalised by a man (men aren't all animals)

There's nothing you can do about it really. But let me put it to you this way would you like to live surrounded by catty bullplop like that?

To be honest I don't see what the problem is? Some women just prefer to live with other women , yes safety may be a consideration but for the most part it's wanting a certain household dynamic.I know I've lived in rental properties where we have looked for other females purely due to the fact that we might have more I common with them. For what it's worth from experience I agree with one of the other posters that a mixed house is a happier, better behaved one but at the end of the day it comes down to an individual's personality not their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Ok, I'll be the one to put my hand up and ask what's the correct way to fill the dishwasher...

Not with every piece of cutlery in the one place of the cutlery container, things not stacked on top of each other so the water from below can actually wash things etc. No sharp knives or frying pans in the dishwasher...

Seems simple but 4/5 people I have lived with can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

BabySlam wrote: »
    I think the reason is more likely to be the shortage of men who CLEAN after they use kitchen/bathroom/sitting room. While they may clean superficially, e.g. wash their cup and plate, few will follow up removing crumbs, sweeping floor and drying and putting away their stuff. I blame their mothers.

That's said a lot without being challenged.

You have female 'dirt birds' with hideous hygiene habits, being slovenly isn't just a male attribute, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Well, think of it this way: If you're a female, sharing with 2 females, would you want a guy in between? I won't? For the simple reason it breaks the routine. All of the sudden, female products need to be hidden ( female shame hasn't subsided there) you can't walk around with a towel only anymore (god forbid he would see that and think something) etc. Same for a man, sharing with other guys only - all of the sudden the typical ' male' talk is kind of censored cause you have to behave, she might take offense. I think in a house share situation it's just easier to share with same sex. It's very rare to see a balance 2 on 2 share situation and there's complications in that as well. Some might end up in a couple situation forming a front against the other 2. But,Ll should not have a preference.

Did you just arrive here from 1955?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always lived in mixed households but perhaps if my first houseshare was girls only I would have preferred to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Surely if you're not filling the dishwasher the cycle cannot continue :)

I do fill the dishwasher, just can't do it properly, but apparently I'm very good at emptying it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I'm not sure what part of my direction that this topic be taken elsewhere, was misunderstood.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement