Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trying to Brake in my Car Failure To produce Driving Licence

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Got pulled over few weeks ago , showed all the disks , and the garda drove off without further discussions.
    few days ago I got 4 summons for court , failure to produce driving licence , driving without driving lincence , failure to produce insurance and no insurance.
    I have Nct , tax and insurance up to date
    the only problem is that i have a brazilian driving licence
    what could i be facing?

would be better to not to go to court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long do you plan to be living in Ireland for?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The garda was trying to break in to your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long have you been driving in Ireland and is your insurer aware you are using a Brazilian licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Speak to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

How long have you been in Ireland? You are only allowed to drive on a non-EU licence for a year, and then need to get an Irish licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

A Brazilian licence is only recognised here on a short stay, less than 12 months. ie tourist. Any longer than that, you must go through the process of obtaining an Irish licence.

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-driving-licences-from-other-countries

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

I often hear the 12 month tourist rule but does anyone know where it's set out in law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Kevin3 wrote: »
    I often hear the 12 month tourist rule but does anyone know where it's set out in law?
    https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-driving-licences-from-other-countries
    If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example The United States), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first pass a driver theory test , apply for a learner permit, complete a course of Essential Driver Training(EDT) and pass your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you can then apply for a full Irish driving licence.

Please click here for information on how to apply for a first time Learner Permit.

There is actually no 12 month rule set out in law, there is just a "temporary stay" rule for a "visitor" written into law, the timeframe is not specufied. NDLS would appear to have pulled the 12 month rule from thin air.

For most countries around the world (and certainly in Ireland/all the EU) the law is someone is a visitor on a temporary visit for the first 184 days that they are here, 185+ days and you are no longer a visitor, but considered a normal resident and then require an Irish or EU/EEA licence. The exception is the non EU/EEA "recognised licences", these are valid beyond the 184 days for 12 months before you need to exchange for an Irish licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Luizp9 wrote: »

Always better to go to court. It will catch up with you and be worse if you just ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Luizp9 wrote: »
    Got pulled over few weeks ago , showed all the disks , and the garda drove off without further discussions.
    few days ago I got 4 summons for court , failure to produce driving licence , driving without driving lincence , failure to produce insurance and no insurance.
    I have Nct , tax and insurance up to date
    the only problem is that i have a brazilian driving licence
    what could i be facing?

a few weeks is an extraordinary short time between being stopped and getting the summons. are you sure its the same incident ?

also if your here more than 12 months you need a eu licence

also the title of your thread is missleading and suggests you have an axe to grind

c ya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The garda was trying to break in to your car?

They were trying the brakes in his car.

Advertisement