Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmw bike with roof

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

They are. I saw a lad riding one wearing a bicycle helmet a while back as well.

The good weather brings out some awful road rash cases waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

They'll be lucky if all they get is road rash with no lid on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The BMW C1 was brought in with the idea of not having to use a helmet at all in it . For some reason you have to wear one when driving it in Ireland but not in Germany and other EU states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think I read that helmets weren't required for these on mainland Europe, which was the primary market they were targetting.

I guess the left hand drive version is safer.

Lumen wrote: »

I guess the left hand drive version is safer.

They do a conversion kit for it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

zubair wrote: »
    They'll be lucky if all they get is road rash with no lid on!

be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I though it was mad not to have a helmet

He was very tanned so maybe he was from the mainland and didnt know :pac:

gctest50 wrote: »
    be grand
    Yeah, try it again at 90 degrees and see how that works out. :D
    Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I though it was mad not to have a helmet

He was very tanned so maybe he was from the mainland and didnt know :pac:
    Must try that when pulled over.

"Ai come from Barthelowna! Meester Fawlty make me run errand!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

helmet required in EU, not in the US. There's no derogation for it here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    helmet required in EU, not in the US. There's no derogation for it here.

Are you sure about that?

UK coverage from 2004...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1461288/Bike-with-roof-rider-must-wear-helmet.html
    Torygraph wrote:
    As well as having a roof, the two-wheeled vehicle has a roll-bar, a windscreen and windshield wipers.

This led magistrates to decide that he had been "driving" the C1, rather than riding it. The court's decision was in line with the position in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Austria and Switzerland, all of which treat the C1 as a two-wheeled car.

Before launching the C1, BMW had consulted the European Commission and believed that it had fulfilled the safety requirements that made the wearing of helmets unnecessary. However, while other areas of Europe accepted the Brussels position, the Department of Transport did not and several people have been stopped by police and prosecuted.

• Advertisement

I think another very valid point about the C1 is that it has a 4 point seat belt which when worn holds the rider inside the safety bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another important point is that Pat Kenny drives (or drove) one. So possibly the least cool bike in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

D3V!L wrote: »
    I think another very valid point about the C1 is that it has a 4 point seat belt which when worn holds the rider inside the safety bubble.

BMW's argument was that since one is restrained by the seatbelts inside the safety cage, not wearing a helmet is actually safer. The extra weight of the helmet increases the risk of whiplash type injuries to the neck.

I commuted to work for almost five years on my C1 and wore a relatively lightweight and 100% non-street legal hang gliding helmet to avoid attracting attention from the guards. (Still have the C1 in my shed but haven't ridden it for a few years as I'm not doing that commute any more.)
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Another important point is that Pat Kenny drives (or drove) one. So possibly the least cool bike in the country

Without a doubt the safest one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With seatbelt system can it be bypassed by not wearing and riding on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

GBX wrote: »
    With seatbelt system can it be bypassed by not wearing and riding on ?

You can sort of bypass it by fastening the belts before you sit in - so the belts are behind you, against the seat back. Not a very sensible thing to do though!

Advertisement