Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiba U18 Womens European Championship in Dublin

Options
  • 22-06-2017 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Anybody going? It is in August 4-13th, 2017 at the National Basketball Arena in Tallaght and the National Indoor Arena, Abbotstown. I do not have any friends who like basketball. I might be able to force/blackmail my sister to attend one of the games, but that's it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

14 days left...
    I am the event ticket holder and I am going to watch as many games possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's a sad state of affairs and a very poor reflection on the association that I (and I assume many/most others) was completely unaware this was being held here.

I agree that the event is only advertised on Basketball Ireland FB, Twitter which is hardly enough if you do not follow them.

When I emailed them to get the tournament pass, within a week I got the ticket. But when I emailed them asking details whether Irish basketball jerseys will be available for purchase during the event - I got zero response.
    It is like they got my money, and they were done with me. There was no more need for communication. No respect, not the way to treat the basketball fans. The National Basketball Arena in Tallaght has no website of their own. I understand this is not a very popular sport in Ireland, but it will never get better if there is no promotion of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I would expect no less from Basketball Ireland it is one of the worst run organisations in the country. They have failed miserably at every possible level and it needs to be gutted completely for the game to have any chance to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

el_bandita wrote: »
    It is like they got my money, and they were done with me. There was no more need for communication. No respect, not the way to treat the basketball fans.

That is BI encapsulated. They will also now find a way to squander your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does anyone else find Basketball Ireland's social media maddening? Oh look, here goes an Irish team to play someone, #greenshoots. How did the team get on? What was the result? Most of the time there's no follow up.

No structure, no ability to form actual narratives around these teams and what they're doing to build interest and support.

Yep, never any follow up.
    I also noticed, when they advertise the local game, there is never any information if you pay at the door, online, with cash or card only, etc. I had to write them and ask which is silly.

Hasn't changed a bit from my days then, actually sounds like it might have gone worse. :(:mad:

The debacles over the Senior Mens and Womens Teams disbandments were particularly embarrassing and shameful.

Fair play to the women's u-18 team, they're 4-0 in their and beat Britain by 14 last night to ensure they're in the quarter finals with 1 pool game to play.

yep, they are doing great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5 - 0 now and into the Quarter Finals against Israel tomorrow.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u18bwomen/2017

All the info and games above.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    5 - 0 now and into the Quarter Finals against Israel tomorrow.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u18bwomen/2017

All the info and games above.

6-0 after beating Israel 60:55

Play Poland in the semi-final tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well done to the girls. Brilliant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Excellent performance by these ladies. Some of the passing and defence is quality stuff and a credit to the coaches. They're doing a wonderful job of putting basketball in Ireland on the map. Its on every media site out there. I hope basketball Ireland do everything they can to help these ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Final tonight against Germany?
    Offically an A nation now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Yeah on at 8.30

Is this the first time Ireland will be an A country ?? Fantastic achievement

Yeah on at 8.30

Is this the first time Ireland will be an A country ?? Fantastic achievement

Down 15 at HT

Stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jaG-2MM4_Y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Silver and up to A

Well Done Tommy, Niall and all the team :)

Great to see Claire getting on the FIBA All Star Team

Really nice event. Would be better if tickets were sold per game, rather than the day events on the particular arena. Not everybody stayed for more than one game, and they took the seat from another fan who wanted to see a next game. A lot of people were very disappointed when could not get a ticket to see their own country play.

Really nice event. Would be better if tickets were sold per game, rather than the day events on the particular arena. Not everybody stayed for more than one game, and they took the seat from another fan who wanted to see a next game. A lot of people were very disappointed when could not get a ticket to see their own country play.

Classic IBA organising!

• Advertisement

Classic IBA organising!

Sorry to hear that El Bandita, sounds like it was a mess

Buttersuki, who or what is IBA???????

Sorry to hear that El Bandita, sounds like it was a mess

Buttersuki, who or what is IBA???????

Irish Basketball Association; formerly the IBBA (when the ball got a capital B); now Basketball Ireland. Those of us of a certain vintage will always know it as the IBBA though.

Irish Basketball Association; formerly the IBBA (when the ball got a capital B); now Basketball Ireland. Those of us of a certain vintage will always know it as the IBBA though.

Yep IBBA and BOCI, those were the days :cool:

Advertisement