Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 deaths this year , will we get the facts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a simple solution to this. instead of using the threat of camera footage to report a motorist, use the actuality of camera footage to report a motorist.
    otherwise the 'i'll send the footage in to the gardai' threat will possibly become the cycling equivalent of telling someone in a callcentre 'i'm going to ring joe duffy about this'.

There's no simple way to submit footage for reporting road-traffic incidents, though. You have to ring Traffic Watch, give lots of tedious details over the phone and hope that a Garda eventually rings back.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

https://instagram.com/p/BV4eYmlHGzT/

Look at this absolute guff from the RSA. I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Does it matter? If it makes the driver think of other consequences (as obviously nearly killing someone just isn't enough), who cares on the motivation?
    Just curious if there's any reaction that the poster would have been happy with, was he looking for a genuine discussion on it, some sort of compensation, wanted to see the driver upset? It's a genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Miklos wrote: »
    https://instagram.com/p/BV4eYmlHGzT/

Look at this absolute guff from the RSA. I despair.

This video should be changed to:

"Before you or your passengers exit your vehicle into a carriageway, be sure to check your mirror and blind spot before opening a door."

It reminds me of this RSA gem, with doctored footage to make blind spots appear larger than they are:

It's especially annoying because both videos do contain some valid information. Yes, as a cyclist you should keep distance from car doors, but the video should put the onus on motorists to do the necessary checks before exiting. And again with the truck, yes of course you should not be on the inside of a truck when it is turning (or ever really...), but they doctored the footage to exaggerate it all. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There's no simple way to submit footage for reporting road-traffic incidents, though. You have to ring Traffic Watch, give lots of tedious details over the phone and hope that a Garda eventually rings back.

I burned my video to DVD, went up to the Gardai station and filed a report.

They acted on it and it went all the way to the courts.

I've never used Traffic Watch, I always file a report directly. In fact the Gardai on the case said he wished more people did this as it made it clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mrcheez wrote: »

I've never used Traffic Watch, I always file a report directly. In fact the Gardai on the case said he wished more people did this as it made it clear cut.

How does going directly make it any more (or less) clear cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Re: the RSA blind-spot video

I think what happened is that they were trying to recreate a British short film that made the point about blind spots very concisely and clearly, but unfortunately the RSA picked a Scania truck, and those trucks have very small blind spots, so they ended up faking the reveal at the end (getting the cyclists to start off-camera and then to move into shot beside the truck) because they just couldn't find the real blind spots: no matter where they put them beside the truck, the cyclists were visible in the truck wing mirrors.

How does going directly make it any more (or less) clear cut?

Perhaps he was referring to the way I provided the evidence.

Rather than giving a description over the phone, I gave them a video which showed the incident immediately after it happened. No delay (read paperwork) in pursuing the culprit after the incident.

I also added still photos and a .txt copy of the account on the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Before you or your passengers exit your vehicle into a carriageway, be sure to check your mirror and blind spot before opening a door."
    +1, usually in these type of ads the person doing dangerous stuff like that suddenly has a big OTT shocked reaction, knowing they were in the wrong. Yer one gets out of the car and sees the cyclist and not even the slightest reaction from her of surprise. She was a crazy auld one driving though, you can tell by the lack of helmet.

It is a snippet from this ad from 2013,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What are you hoping to achieve by that? Just give the driver a little scare? Or looking for an apology?
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just curious if there's any reaction that the poster would have been happy with, was he looking for a genuine discussion on it, some sort of compensation, wanted to see the driver upset? It's a genuine question

You seem to be quite eh, restricted, in your scenarios.

"Give the driver a scare? Wanted to see the driver upset?" Really?

Maybe, just maybe, it might make the driver think a tad about the situation, and maybe they'd learn something, possibly leading them to be more careful in the future. Or just think that every cyclist might have a camera on them so "better safe than sorry AKA caught on camera"

Either works for me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This video should be changed to:

It reminds me of this RSA gem, with doctored footage to make blind spots appear larger than they are:

It's especially annoying because both videos do contain some valid information. Yes, as a cyclist you should keep distance from car doors, but the video should put the onus on motorists to do the necessary checks before exiting. And again with the truck, yes of course you should not be on the inside of a truck when it is turning (or ever really...), but they doctored the footage to exaggerate it all. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

To be fair, the rsa do have a video which does ask drivers to look out for cyclists when opening doors.

https://youtu.be/r368KLyaWDM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

rubadub wrote: »

It is a snippet from this ad from 2013,

That 2013 Ad - in fairness to RSA I can't fault it. Good ad, contains good advice. Wish it were running again now.

Fian wrote: »
    That 2013 Ad - in fairness to RSA I can't fault it.

Apart from the daft old bint getting out of her car without a care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I reported a driver to the guards , they were not interested, until I showed them the video, I was offered a range of actions, settled for a call around and an apology.

I reported a driver via Traffic Watch and did eventually go in to give a statement and the video evidence. I haven't heard anything since, though I understand that it can take some time. I just think that there should be a way to submit footage and incident details directly to the Gardaí online, so that there is an electronic paper trail the whole way. Ringing up, hoping for a call back and bringing in a DVD is cumbersome and I feel as though you can be easily forgotten about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tedious details are important though I would suggest. If you take the time to ring, and give detailed information and said tedious details then hopefully something is done.

An easy upload and submit system would see eejits like Cycle dub clog it with endless amount of footage

It's not the tedious details that I mind, it's giving it over the phone and hoping that everything it taken down properly.

I don't really mind the system that's in place that much - at least it's something. I just think it could be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Weepsie wrote: »
    Tedious details are important though I would suggest. If you take the time to ring, and give detailed information and said tedious details then hopefully something is done.

An easy upload and submit system would see eejits like Cycle dub clog it with endless amount of footage

It would clog it up but it would also highlight the amount of times it occurs to them and might make drivers less likely to do it if they knew they could be reported like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »

I would love an easy upload system if there was someone there at the other end to sift through it. It really strikes me as a job for a trained civilian team who can filter through actionable data and pass on the relevant info to an assigned team or station. It may get clogged but it has to be better than the mess of having to meet the Garda on duty, at the right time, if they have time with confusion over what is and what is not acceptable proof.

• Advertisement

I reported a driver via Traffic Watch and did eventually go in to give a statement and the video evidence. I haven't heard anything since, though I understand that it can take some time. I just think that there should be a way to submit footage and incident details directly to the Gardaí online, so that there is an electronic paper trail the whole way. Ringing up, hoping for a call back and bringing in a DVD is cumbersome and I feel as though you can be easily forgotten about.

Were you not given the name of a Gardai assigned to the case?

I was given the name of the Gardai and rang up on occasion to get an update on the progress (which I'm sure moved it back to the top of the queue).

He then regularly called me with updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

An easy upload system would also give the authorities of the true picture of the roads. FAQ's and a properly constructed form should get most details.

Obviously, it should also be applicable to other camera footage - dashcams, buscams (for bus lane infringements?) - and I'd include cycling offences such as RLJ as being appropriate footage as well as vehicles.

If the uploader identified location and/or reg then repeat offenders and problematic locations could also be tackled (road design, loads of RLJ etc)

Disproportionate uploaders could also be addressed, if they're suprious or putting themselves in harms way. Could actually reduce conflict/ road rage, if rather than get in a row, stuff was just submitted for action. Can't see how it's not a win for all road users. The only problem would be getting it properly resourced.

The only problem would be getting it properly resourced.

... and properly used.

The Gardai would require "training" or some other delay before it was used properly.

The only way to really get the Gardai to act on anything is the old-fashioned approach of going directly and keep at them to get updates on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

An easy upload system would also give the authorities of the true picture of the roads. FAQ's and a properly constructed form should get most details.

Keep dreaming! :pac: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0707/888417-recruitment-website-government/
    Two years after the Department of Social Protection awarded a €3.4 million contract to two companies to build a new version of JobsIreland.ie, the Restaurants Association of Ireland says the website is not fit for purpose.

Also, €3.4m for a website!?

buffalo wrote: »

Insanity

buffalo wrote: »
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Insanity

It reminds me of the CI portal when it was talked about at the AGM. I could have gotten some CS students I used to work with to construct better, with less bugs, in less time for a fraction of the cost and still have them well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mrcheez wrote: »
    ... and properly used.

The Gardai would require "training" or some other delay before it was used properly.

The only way to really get the Gardai to act on anything is the old-fashioned approach of going directly and keep at them to get updates on progress.
    I was going with it being civilian in the first instance. All the general trend reporting doesn't have to be Gardai, even if final decision maker on prosecution may have to be? I'm not really sure how it works for the private speed cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We already have a civilian force taking reports, its called Traffic Watch. All they need is to move a couple of call takers to processing web reports and build an app/website.

It would be easy to do, even for a state institution. The only problem is it would make work for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I stay off primary roads because they are dangerous.
    The other day I came upon a group of six cyclists two abreast on a long reasonably tight bend. If I was even doing the speed limit of 100 km there might have been a problem.

I'm just bringing this up because there are a lot of cyclists out there giving everybody a bad name.

Personally I'm of the opinion that primary routes should be avoided. They are all 100km limit roads and you are going to have situations where there is very little room on the road with trucks and vans and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

eagle eye wrote: »
    I stay off primary roads because they are dangerous.
    The other day I came upon a group of six cyclists two abreast on a long reasonably tight bend. If I was even doing the speed limit of 100 km there might have been a problem.

I'm just bringing this up because there are a lot of cyclists out there giving everybody a bad name.

Personally I'm of the opinion that primary routes should be avoided. They are all 100km limit roads and you are going to have situations where there is very little room on the road with trucks and vans and the likes.

Really? What's this problem your talking about?

Advertisement