Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 deaths this year , will we get the facts?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eagle eye wrote: »
    I stay off primary roads because they are dangerous.
    The other day I came upon a group of six cyclists two abreast on a long reasonably tight bend. If I was even doing the speed limit of 100 km there might have been a problem.

I'm just bringing this up because there are a lot of cyclists out there giving everybody a bad name.

Personally I'm of the opinion that primary routes should be avoided. They are all 100km limit roads and you are going to have situations where there is very little room on the road with trucks and vans and the likes.

So your saying the driver, not driving for the conditions is somehow causing a small group of cyclists to give all cyclists a bad name. But not the driver.

If you were doing anything close to 100 on a tight bend, the problem is not the cyclists. Just saying. 100 is a limit, not a target, legally you should be driving below the limit at a speed that is suitable for the conditions and the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

Stop breaking red lights and you stand a better chance of living!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

bikerjohn wrote: »

How many of the cyclists killed ran red lights?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bikerjohn wrote: »

MOD VOICE: Stop Trolling and you will stand a better chance of not getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

buffalo wrote: »
    Also, €3.4m for a website!?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Insanity

Not as insane as you might think. The devil is in the detail. I worked for several years on the nhs website. It's an iceberg. What you see is only the tip. It all just depends on what the scope of the redesign was. If it was a "lets slap some social media tags on it and make it mobile-friendly" then yes, that amount is scandalous in the extreme. If they're a redesign of a jobs search site from the ground up then it's not necessarily as bat-sh1t a figure as you might think. But again it all depends on just what they think €3.4m is going to deliver.

Apologies for the off-topic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The other day I came upon a group of six cyclists two abreast on a long reasonably tight bend. If I was even doing the speed limit of 100 km there might have been a problem.

I'm just bringing this up because there are a lot of cyclists out there giving everybody a bad name.

Personally I'm of the opinion that primary routes should be avoided. They are all 100km limit roads and you are going to have situations where there is very little room on the road with trucks and vans and the likes.
    Not sure where to start with this...
    On the fact you're only supposed to drive at a speed that allows you to stop as far as you can see?
    Or what singling out would've done on a tight bend, and how that would be safe to overtake?
    Or if it was a tight left hand bend you'd see the group quick 2 a breast than singled out
    Or the proposal that cyclists should stay off the roads to stop making trucks and vans do unsafe passes

It's another great example about how poor road education is in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You just never know whats around the next bend...

https://drivetribe.com/p/that-was-close-here-is-why-you-X1tMmlwhTQOHH3kdwAyX7w?iid=QxLo6vg2Rk6ip-6v0hNvpw&utm_campaign=main+&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Others have dealt with your driving, so I'll just deal with the social issue.

Do the drivers who killed 3 or 4 people on the road this week give everybody a bad name, or does collective responsibility only apply to cyclists for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

It's lovely the way human life has been so devalued in the eyes of some that they can't wait a few minutes to make a safe pass or be expected to drive with reasonable caution. Their time > another persons safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

You'll have to give some more details about how these 6 people, behaving in a perfectly legal manner, were giving anyone a bad name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not counted in our tally, but a tragic loss nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40576123?utm_content=bufferc7225&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    A cyclist in his 40s has died after being involved in a collision with a car in Newtownards, County Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Heart breaking image from twitter this afternoon.

DEyEYzTXoAEpJwX.jpg

RIP Gavin Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd stay off primary roads mainly because they're often boring roads to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Reply from Minister Ross
    I am very aware of the increase in cyclist fatalities to date this year. I met with representatives of cycling organisations, relatives of victims, as well as with the Road Safety Authority and senior members of An Garda Síochána very recently to address the tragic number of people cycling who have died on our roads.

I understand from the Road Safety Authority that the deaths of people cycling in recent years including 2017 have been spread across urban and rural locations and on every type of road (National, Regional, Local). The Road Safety Authority are continuing to examine the circumstances of these deaths to see what learnings can be taken from them and that will of course feed into their communications and promotional campaigns.

The creation of a safer cycling environment is a priority for me. Hence, in 2017, funding of just under €30 million has been allocated by the National Transport Authority under the Sustainable Transport Management grant scheme for the Greater Dublin Area and for the Regional Cities. This funding will be allocated to Cycling and Walking projects and Bus Priority measures, enabling better segregation of users. In 2016 the funding for the GDA was €21.22m and over 80% of this was spent on Cycling and Walking projects, with similar expected for 2017. I am very aware of the need for more and better cycling infrastructure and I am seeking additional funding for it as part of the mid-term review of the Capital Investment Plan.

Infrastructure is part of the solution only - how all road users behave is also important. The RSA has highlighted the dangers of distracted driving and the importance of passing cyclists at a reasonable distance.
    I intend, with the RSA, to further highlight the need for all road users to take account of the vulnerability of cyclists in the coming weeks, as I am conscious that the numbers of people cycling generally peaks at this time of year.

With best wishes,

Shane Ross

Minister for Transport Tourism and Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

jon1981 wrote: »
    Reply from Minister Ross

Got the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

papu wrote: »
    Got the same

It had the look of a cookie cutter response alright

Advertisement