Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 deaths this year , will we get the facts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It's not a question for the county councils. You need to accept that the roads you describe are public roads. These roads can be used by anyone..cyclists, joggers, walkers, motorists, farmers in tractors etc.

If you are nervous driving on roads, that's something you need to deal with. You need to drive at a speed that you are comfortable with and allows you to anticipate any potential hazards.

Not a nervous driver! You're putting words in my mouth dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ella23 wrote: »
    How so? Unless you're going too quickly for the road.

Hairpin turns... Give them a shot! 10kmph even will give you a fair hop when there's a few bikes in front of you. As i said before, it is not the cyclists fault in my experiences (Obviously both can be at fault i'm guessing in cities and other instances), I'm literally only talking about why I am nervous and I seem to be dragged in to and attacked on discussions about speeding issues with motorists. Ye're a very odd bunch on the cycling forum. I didn't realise you needed a Phd in cycling to participate in this discussion. Can ye not take a post or give advice to a layman?

Excuse me while i leave.

Nobody is attacking you. This is a discussion forum ( with a lot of experienced cyclists who are also motorists) and we are simply discussing the issue with you.

Not a nervous driver! You're putting words in my mouth dude!

?? You said "I am nervous on the road" ???

?? You said "I am nervous on the road" ???

Nervous cycling on the road, not driving. Read back on my posts!

Nervous cycling on the road, not driving. Read back on my posts!

Ok, do you cycle on your own or with others?

• Advertisement

When i do it here it would be a mixture. But at the moment I will only cycle on designated lanes as long as it is not on a road.
    The reasoning behind that is i'm a bit chicken as I had the misfortune of having two pretty bad accidents on bikes in the past which would make me nervous to begin with. Chain broke once, I panicked and went over the handle bars, front teeth broken and a concussion. Went back on the bike again soon afterwards and i was unfortunate enough to have a dog run in front of me. I've a lovely scar on my elbow after it! I still go on them though. But i'm a little nervous of it.

When i do it here it would be a mixture. But at the moment I will only cycle on designated lanes as long as it is not on a road.
    The reasoning behind that is i'm a bit chicken as I had the misfortune of having two pretty bad accidents on bikes in the past which would make me nervous to begin with. Chain broke once, I panicked and went over the handle bars, front teeth broken and a concussion. Went back on the bike again soon afterwards and i was unfortunate enough to have a dog run in front of me. I've a lovely scar on my elbow after it! I still go on them though. But i'm a little nervous of it.

Sorry to hear that. Kerry is a beautiful place to cycle and it's a real shame that you are nervous while cycling.

A broken chain and a dog....both of these could have happened on a cycle path. And there I was thinking it was cars passing at speed that was making you nervous.

Sorry to hear that. Kerry is a beautiful place to cycle and it's a real shame that you are nervous while cycling.

A broken chain and a dog....both of these could have happened on a cycle path. And there I was thinking it was cars passing at speed that was making you nervous.

Nah, it's just that i'm more likely than the average person of toppling in front of said cars and cause myself a lot more damage than broken front teeth and a few scars! :eek: Whereas if I am on a cycle path, a least I can limit the damage to some extent, it's more of a control thing!

Deedsie wrote: »
    You need to get out with an experienced group of cyclists. That will build up your confidence

+1 ...... and cycle two abreast!

Deedsie wrote: »
    You need to get out with an experienced group of cyclists. That will build up your confidence

God i'd feel like a shaky ape with them! :) could be a great idea though. I'm well able to cycle, but its the nervousness I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would like to disagree with you on that. I'm from north Kerry, most roads in this part of the country are small side roads, no matter what speed you are going, and i can tell you, I don't take those roads too fast, they are treacherous, and two people cycling abreast can be hazardous on those roads, not that I mentioned cycling two abreast at any point in my first post. That is neither here nor there, I didn't come on here to give out about that. I have the patience to wait until they can pull in or i can pass out safely. Most people do down here. But try one of those roads in a car going the speed that is adequate for said road and see what I'm talking about. Neither the cyclist or the motorist are given much of a chance.

Well I would agree that some roads are dangerous.

But I'd also say we've become used to driving recklessly. Its probably always been the case on Rural roads.

Both of those situations can happen if you were cycling on a separated cycle path also. Just unlucky with those. But I can see why you a little nervous.

God i'd feel like a shaky ape with them! :) could be a great idea though. I'm well able to cycle, but its the nervousness I guess!

So, do you still disagree with me?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103898505&postcount=173

I'll get back to you on that if i ever work up the nerve to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The only way to prevent accidents and ultimately fatalities is to limit the interaction between cars and bikes. As long as cars/bikes interact, there will always be incidents. I've done a lot of cycling in Vancouver over the last few years. Most of my cycling is on traffic calmed roads or physically separated bike lanes. The traffic calming is achieved by having bollards every couple of blocks that only bikes can pass through which limits the roads to local traffic only e.g.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2776695,-123.074263,3a,75y,122.52h,88.82t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_o50g7lZ6VxIH0ydCd4CVw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_o50g7lZ6VxIH0ydCd4CVw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D136.99713%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I'm not sure Dublin has the infrastructure to allow for this kind of design. I can't find any recent stats but between 2010 and 2014 there were 4 cyclist fatalities in Vancouver, with probably more cyclists and journeys than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I'm not sure Dublin has the infrastructure to allow for this kind of design. I can't find any recent stats but between 2010 and 2014 there were 4 cyclist fatalities in Vancouver, with probably more cyclists and journeys than Dublin.

Surely if Manchester can do it…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think a key difference in Canada is they had data to analyse and a desire to improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

The only roads designed specifically for motorised vehicles are motorways.
    I respectfully disagree. Roads are for the use of all, sure, but in this country the designing is done with motorised transport very much at the forefront of the thinking used.

This has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭plodder

beauf wrote: »
    I think a key difference in Canada is they had data to analyse and a desire to improve things.
    Another difference I think, is directly elected mayors. When they see that cycling is good for a city, they tend to pull out the stops and make it happen. Our system tends to produce lots of talk, but much less action.

plodder wrote: »
    Another difference I think, is directly elected mayors. When they see that cycling is good for a city, they tend to pull out the stops and make it happen. Our system tends to produce lots of talk, but much less action.
    With our current Dublin mayor, I'd support much less talk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I respectfully disagree. Roads are for the use of all, sure, but in this country the designing is done with motorised transport very much at the forefront of the thinking used.

This has to change.
    Where there is designing, I agree (like the general standard of cycle paths/ lanes). However, the vast majority of roads in the state pre-date motorised vehicles (and the bicycle). Something the "I pay my road tax" brigade should remember more often.

• Advertisement

This has to change.

Yes your right. Most regional roads that have been "upgraded" have been done without any consideration for cyclists.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/wj2maFRXPHG2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Chuchote wrote: »
    Delivery drivers are under disgraceful pressure. Some of their working conditions are inhuman:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/amazon-drivers-defecate-in-vans-to-save-time/news-story/a77b4fcd79dfc6615f697974683298c5

Here's a defensive driving course in Dublin - I don't know anything about this course so obviously can't recommend it or not - it's €99

https://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/index.php/learn-to-drive-dublin-lessons/advanced-driving/onroad

The best driver I ever sat with was an RTE cameraman who drove a big van with heavy equipment all over the country. I was amazed as he failed to respond to people cutting in, wavering around the road, etc. "Why aren't you swearing and yelling and battering the horn?" I asked him, and he said that all RTE's drivers at that time were required to take a defensive driving course that taught them to remain calm and controlled on the road.

Interesting.

On the way in to work, I saw a Van Driver overtake a car he was impatient with. This was on a residential street, 30km speed limit - he overtook into oncoming traffic, car coming opposite direction had to slow down. Real quick swerve out and back in again, in a van.

I shook my head at him; he gave me the middle finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I shook my head at him; he gave me the middle finger.

Said this on a postal thread, some posters weren't so happy, but you dont get MENSA members driving white panel vans but often the worst possible characters.

Theres a fastway driver in the D2 area that fancies himself as the hardest man alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the real problem that need to be solved is why are the cars, vans, trucks etc on the road
    at the moment it is through necessity mostly. you will always have selfish people that use the car to drive a few hundred yards instead of walking

we need a proper public transport system that is cheap enough that every body that can use it will. it needs to reach every part of the towns and cities .
    we need to reduce the no of trucks and in our towns
    we need to bypass all towns so that vehicles can go around built up area instead of through them.

when the roads are freed up then we can look at adding proper cycle lanes and pedestrian areas
    we need to get the cyclist that is out for the fun or exercise only onto dedicated paths and trails that are safe .
    same goes for pedestrians that are out for leisure not going anywhere

I was down in Waterford a while ago and they have a cycle path and footpath along the main road, it is great for everybody. that should be done everywhere possible. there is no point having a good road with no hard shoulder but 15 feet of overgrown waste land all along the road. widen it out, make places for slower vehicle to pull in, and lanes for cyclists and pedestrians to use

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

plodder wrote: »
    Another difference I think, is directly elected mayors. When they see that cycling is good for a city, they tend to pull out the stops and make it happen.

OTOH, Rob Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

when the roads are freed up then we can look at adding proper cycle lanes and pedestrian areas

Wrong way around, dear. Half of all driven journeys in Ireland are under two kilometres - a distance you could traverse in ten minutes on a bike.

Bikeways first, and then there'll be room for public transport to move.

The main reason people don't cycle is that they're scared of the drivers. Get separated cycleways in place and a lot of people won't bother to drive for shorter journeys - and there'll be a momentum that means more people will take up the bike as it's easier to use than a car.

One of the reasons I'm really hoping BleeperBikes or one of the other stationless bike share companies succeeds in establishing in the cities - the more people cycling, the fewer driving.

Wrong way around, dear. Half of all driven journeys in Ireland are under two kilometres - a distance you could traverse in ten minutes on a bike.

The main reason people don't cycle is that they're scared of the drivers. Get separated cycleways in place and a lot of people won't bother to drive for shorter journeys - and there'll be a momentum that means more people will take up the bike as it's easier to use than a car.

One of the reasons I'm really hoping BleeperBikes or one of the other stationless bike share companies succeeds in establishing in the cities - the more people cycling, the fewer driving.

+1 And look at the new bike lane along the coast at Clontarf. The New section of bike lane is separated from cars. The road is now so narrow, that cycling on the road with cars is no longer a viable option. Cyclists have to use the bike lane and thankfully, the bike lane is pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ANother factor worth noting.....

Whatever about adults - city roads are 100% not safe for kids to cycle on.

Better bike paths would mean more children cycling to school, which means more parents cycling and more young adults cycling as the kids get older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ANother factor worth noting.....

Whatever about adults - city roads are 100% not safe for kids to cycle on.

Better bike paths would mean more children cycling to school, which means more parents cycling and more young adults cycling as the kids get older.

Yeah, this is my main issue with this whole thing. I've said it before that I'm around long enough to have seen and experienced pretty much most things on the road, but I have serious issues with this mentality, driven in part by trolls like Hook, when it comes to my kids on their bikes. And you can bet that idiot drivers don't give a second thought on how their actions mirrored by someone else endanger their own kids had they any. That would have them think twice.

• Advertisement

Cyclists have to use the bike lane and thankfully, the bike lane is pretty good!
    There was a death reported on it recently though. A death of etiquette.

Advertisement