Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport Clips Copyright

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

To settle an argument... My mate runs Facebook page where he uploads recorded video clips of TV coverage. Who owns the copyright on these videos? Is it the TV company or the sporting organisation in question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's quite complex. The sporting authority, e.g. Pro 12, normally license one or several TV companies (broadcasters), e.g. TG4, the rights to broadcast the game live and often highlights and re-runs, and for pay-per-view, sometimes usage of moving footage in news reports.

The broadcaster may have used their own staff or hired someone like Aperture Media to shoot the event, e.g. I think they might do all televised Leinster RDS matches for Sky and TG4.

I would guess that copyright ownership is probably held by the sporting authority, but licence to use given to the broadcaster, assuming that whoever actually shoots it is hired on a "work for hire" basis - otherwise they might own the copyright by default.

And that's not counting the interesting world of performer image rights.

I'm not a lawyer nor would I want to be :)

Advertisement