Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in flower bed

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I noticed lately that there is a load of ants in my newly planted flower bed.. Should I leave them alone or would they cause a problem to the plants?.. I noticed them all over my apple blossom tree in particular which is only about 2 1/2 foot at the moment. As on the leaves and branches.

My flower bed is about 2 ft wide x 12ft long and they seem to in it from top to bottom, not just at one end if that matters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have never had a problem because of ants in the garden. Indeed, I enjoy watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

benny79 wrote: »
    ... I noticed them all over my apple blossom tree in particular which is only about 2 1/2 foot at the moment. As on the leaves and branches...

Ants usually travel up plants to "milk" the aphids. A symbiotic relationship. Are the leaves sticky - aphids secrete honeydew.
    http://tinyurl.com/yao3v9wz

Clear the aphids and the ants will look elsewhere.

Don't think ants do damage to plants themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Cheers Guys

I leave mother nature alone so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The ants actually gather the aphids from wherever they can find them and locate them on succulent plants, or weak ones, and take the honeydew fluid from them. It's a kind of insect slavery/trafficking situation:)

Advertisement