Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Car Trade-In Deals in Sligo

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Considering updating my car (prob worth €13k-15k at a guess) and wondering where the best trader in value can be gotten within a decent radius of Sligo - don't mind driving an hour or so if there's better value to be got.

My own car is Audi, but might consider Audi/BMW/VW/Mercedes for new car if that matters!

Anybody have any experience of getting large variations in trade in quotes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sometimes going to the same main dealer as your car when buying a new model from that dealer can be best. If it was me I'd visit 4 or 5 dealers with my car and ask them for total price to change, calling over the phone will usually get you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've dealt with Currids in Grange a few times. Always found him good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Thanks,
    That's pretty much what I intend to do - Bought my car at a main dealer but am aware that they may not be the very best in terms of trade-in quotes. Just figure I might be able to make a shortlist of places to try and places not to bother with based on others experiences - I could try 20 places within an hours drive so trying to narrow it down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Depends on a lot of variables.
    Are looking for a new or s/h car?
    Condition/mileage/desirability of your car including the colour.
    Future maintenance necessary on your car eg. timing belt repacement etc.
    Some makes/models sell better in some dealerships than in others.
    Spend a bit of time and/or money and have the car in a condition you'd like to buy.

You need to get out there and shop around. Until you do it's really a "how long is a piece of string" type question.
    People will give you reviews based on their experiences which may be no way related to yours.
    Also some people tend to bad mouth a particular garage but only give their side of the story!
    Everybody will have good or bad things to say about every dealer and likewise for makes/models they like or dislike!

Best of luck!

red sean wrote: »
    Depends on a lot of variables.
    Are looking for a new or s/h car?
    Condition/mileage/desirability of your car including the colour.
    Future maintenance necessary on your car eg. timing belt repacement etc.
    Some makes/models sell better in some dealerships than in others.
    Spend a bit of time and/or money and have the car in a condition you'd like to buy.

You need to get out there and shop around. Until you do it's really a "how long is a piece of string" type question.
    People will give you reviews based on their experiences which may be no way related to yours.
    Also some people tend to bad mouth a particular garage but only give their side of the story!
    Everybody will have good or bad things to say about every dealer and likewise for makes/models they like or dislike!

Best of luck!

Thanks Sean,
    Haven't neglected to consider the stuff you mention, and as I mentioned my own car is an Audi.
    However, it's exactly that experience of other people that I'm looking for - I know of one case where a friend got 2 quotes from main dealers with €3k difference.

I know I need to get out there and shop around, but this ISN'T a "how long is a piece of string" question - I'm interested in hearing people's experiences of varying quotes, rather than getting advice on how to maximise the value of my own car.

Thanks again for the post, but definitely still want to where people have got good and bad trade-in valuations so as I can make a shortlist of plces to try and to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

s&r motors in donegal town are excellent

I got 3k more for my trade in thaN skoda were offering (incl 1000 deposit contribution). the car i traded in was a ford btw.

wolfe wrote: »
    s&r motors in donegal town are excellent

I got 3k more for my trade in thaN skoda were offering (incl 1000 deposit contribution). the car i traded in was a ford btw.

Great, Thanks.... just the kind of thing I'm after!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Basically what I was saying is, the advice you get on an internet forum can be tainted a bit!
    No two deals are ever the same so advice will vary.
    Sometimes a dealer will have an instant buyer for your car and want it immediately, so giving a great price to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. Definitely try Colin. He's an absolute gent and will definitely look after you. His after sales service is second to none.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    I've dealt with Currids in Grange a few times. Always found him good to deal with.

johnire wrote: »
    I agree. Definitely try Colin. He's an absolute gent and will definitely look after you. His after sales service is second to none.

Thanks, might be worth a call, tho website not showing any of the makes I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

No worries...you should st least give him a ring and tell him what you are looking for. If he can help he will. It's well worth a shot.
    Good luck!
    Thanks, might be worth a call, tho website not showing any of the makes I'm after.

johnire wrote: »
    No worries...you should st least give him a ring and tell him what you are looking for. If he can help he will. It's well worth a shot.
    Good luck!

Will do, Thank You!

Love to hear any other recommendations on this.

Advertisement