Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Zanussi Oven?

Options
  • 22-06-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I changed the thermostat on my Zanussi ZCV662MWC recently and when I opened it up there were a few things I was concerned about. The first pic shows the mains earth wire connected to the N on the oven. To me that suggests the oven is not earthed which is very dangerous!! Is there any reason why it would be wired than this, other than by mistake?

The second pic shows a loose wire which looks like it has been disconnected (by accident?) from its socket (which I think is to the element in the main overn) and the third pic shows another socket with no wire connected to it (element in grill I think).

The wire fits both sockets. The oven seems to be working fine.

Any advice? I didn't want to change anything in case I make it more dangerous but am quite worried.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

1. The earth is indeed wired to a neutral connection terminal. That could still have power as the neutral and earth are normally bonded at the meter, but it is not safe.

2. did someone have a go at a DIY repair in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭starstreamer8

Thanks a mill. So do you think I should wire the earth to the correct terminal?

The oven was here when we moved in so not sure has it been repaired before, DIY or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I'd actually suggest calling out Zanussi / Electrolux repair agent. It looks like someone's really messed around with it.

You *should* be ok moving that earth to the correct terminal, but the internal wiring looks odd.

My advice would be don't use it and call Zanussi out to take a proper look at what's going on inside.

It looks to me like someone replaced something and perhaps bent the terminals out of shape so they fell off.

Definitely DO NOT use it as it stands and keep the isolator switch off as you could get a fairly bad shock from an unearthed cooker. There would normally be no RCD on those circuits, so you would not have any shock protection at all.

Advertisement