Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Jam.

Options
  • 22-06-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

I'm snowed under with Raspberries. Berried under them, ha ha.
    I've eaten them, mashed them, frozen them, and still they keep ripening. So it looks as if I may have to make jam.

I don't fancy it as a task, bit of a chore and a bore. All that sterilising jars and stuff. And the sticky saucer with the spoonful to test, all that.
    I've made simple jams and jellies before, using either dead-simple things like Damson or Apple, or else using Jam-Sugar. I claim no expertise and don't want to, either.

Has anyone got a dead-cert successful, sure-fire, easy-peasy, no- fuss-no-mess modern recipe for raspberry jam?

Hints, advice, or recommendations? I wait in hope! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Well, there's reasons for all the steps you hate, so maybe raspberry jam is not for you. Mind, buy a sugar thermometer and avoid the saucer testing; buy a breadmaker and use that to make jam :) .

Buy vodka and make raspberry vodka (recommended :) ) .

Make fruit leather. I've only tried with damsons: it was good, but you need rice flour to stop deliquescence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ooh - running off to try Raspberry Vodka! Thank you!

The raspberries threaten to take over my life, my world...still picking by the ganseyload...ok, jam it is.

Another question for you that has expertise: I've searched extensively in books and by google for a really simple idiot-proof recipe.
    Basically, raspberries and sugar.

Some say, half-and-half by weight...(a lb or a kilo of each)

and some say, half-and-half by Volume (eg, a cup or a litre of each)

This wouldn't be the same, though, would it? So which is it?

If it is Volume, do they mean whole berries or crushed?

PS Anybody want some raspberry canes? (South Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Raspberry jam is pretty much the easiest to make.
    Equal weights raspberries and sugar, boil for a bit then start doing teaspoon tests. I've only ever used normal sugar and it boils up so quickly that two or three teaspoon tests is likely to do it. It's almost impossible to go wrong. You can always do a small batch as practice first.

Thank you - equal weights it is, then. I shall try it today!

• Advertisement
Advertisement