Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled toilet etiquette

• 22-06-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

I'm a guy working in Dublin 1 and went to buy my lunch from a noodle place in the local shopping centre. That would be CHQ near Busaras

I made my order and it takes several minutes so I went to the shopping centre toilets next door.

The disabled toilet was free and closest and I popped in there. I wasn't going to be long, quick piss and wash hands. But Mike you could have gone to the gents. I struggle with stage fright at urinals, please don't laugh :( So I usually look for a cublicle anyway

Just as I was about to leave the door was knocked on and before I could even open the door it was knocked on again. A furious looking security guard giving me an angry look and then he peered in and scanned every part of the disabled toilets. I assume he thought I was doing drugs in there? I was in there 60 seconds max

I walked off and he roared after me "this is not the gents mate"

Have I broken some etiquette? I'm not going to use disabled toilets if I see someone who may need them behind me in the corridor. I know not all disabilities are obvious but you get my point.

Am I inconsiderate scum? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You're not disabled so don't use disabled toilets, it's quite simple.
    I'm pretty sure there's cubicles in the gents isn't there? Use one of those if you want privacy but using a disabled toilet is the same as using a disabled parking space "just for a minute" it's unfair on the people who need it.

How do you know by your "quick look" who is or isn't disabled and may need to use the toilets? Perhaps there a diabetic nearby who needs to check their blood sugar in a more private area than the ladies/gents etc.
    Or someone who suffers from another illness you can't see but is still disabled.

Next time use the public toilet and be glad you don't need the disabled one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Did the security guard ask you if you're disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smiler1955

The security guard was probably making sure you weren't using it for drugs initially. It's a big problem in the city centre where junkies sneak into shopping centre and bar/pubs to use the toilets for drugs.

Otherwise unless your in a total jam cubicle wise then steer clear less the scorn is heaped upon you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Should have started to drag your foot behind you on the way out, Caiser Sozse style. How would you have felt if there was a wheelchair user or someone with another kind of disability on the other side of the door when you opened it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I'm a guy working in Dublin 1 and went to buy my lunch from a noodle place in the local shopping centre. That would be CHQ near Busaras

I made my order and it takes several minutes so I went to the shopping centre toilets next door.

The disabled toilet was free and closest and I popped in there. I wasn't going to be long, quick piss and wash hands. But Mike you could have gone to the gents. I struggle with stage fright at urinals, please don't laugh :( So I usually look for a cublicle anyway

Just as I was about to leave the door was knocked on and before I could even open the door it was knocked on again. A furious looking security guard giving me an angry look and then he peered in and scanned every part of the disabled toilets. I assume he thought I was doing drugs in there? I was in there 60 seconds max

I walked off and he roared after me "this is not the gents mate"

Have I broken some etiquette? I'm not going to use disabled toilets if I see someone who may need them behind me in the corridor. I know not all disabilities are obvious but you get my point.

Am I inconsiderate scum? :(

Disabled toilets aren't just for people in wheelchairs, but for the ambulant disabled too, as in those who may have another disability relating to movement, or sight etc. Plus, it's not really good enough to scan the corridor if someone is behind you. What if someone needs to disabled toilet while you're in it? No matter how quick you may feel you're being, you may take longer than someone who actually needs that toilet needs you to be. For example, you scan the corridor, see no-one, start using the toilet, but an elderly man with a walking stick has now made his way into the corridor needing to use that toilet. Now he has to try stand there for even the 30 seconds longer you'll take.

You're not inconsiderate scum, but you are being inconsiderate. Use a cubicle in the gents if you're urinal-shy. There's a reason the disabled toilets are usually closer; people who they're designed for need them to be closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Also, there are people to who 60 seconds could make a big difference. For example, someone suffering from Crohn's disease can have a very urgent requirement to use the toilet. And they won't even "look" disabled when you do your check. It's kinda like parking in a disabled spot because you just have to nip into the shop for 2 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're not disabled so don't use disabled toilets, it's quite simple.
    I'm pretty sure there's cubicles in the gents isn't there? Use one of those if you want privacy but using a disabled toilet is the same as using a disabled parking space "just for a minute" it's unfair on the people who need it.

I don't think it is. I don't think disabled toilets are for the exclusive use of people with disabilities are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

He has a disability. It is known as shy bladder. Don't take sh1t from anyone mike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I was never aware that these toilets are designed be of exclusive use for people with disabilities, I always regarded them as accessible toilets that disabled patrons had priority to?

I rarely use them myself, only if I can't find the ladies and I'm in a hurry, very occasionally, but I honestly didn't know that so many people consider these toilets exclusively for disabled folk.

I've seen a few mother and baby toilet's that double up as disabled toilets - what are the rules for those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

bee06 wrote: »
    Also, there are people to who 60 seconds could make a big difference. For example, someone suffering from Crohn's disease can have a very urgent requirement to use the toilet. And they won't even "look" disabled when you do your check. It's kinda like parking in a disabled spot because you just have to nip into the shop for 2 mins.

And how did the security guard know mike didn't have chrons?

It was a quick swifty - no harm done except for an over exuberant security guard - 60 seconds is enough to look behind you to make sure no disabled person is heading in the direction of the toilets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think it is. I don't think disabled toilets are for the exclusive use of people with disabilities are they?

Aren't they? Isn't it fairly obvious not to use something that's been put aside for people less fortunate than you?

Whatever the rules are he is perfectly capable of using normal toilets but just doesn't want to, that's pretty selfish. Him using it means someone who really needs it isn't able to and could leave them in a horrible situation.

The fact people are arguing about the "rules" around disabled toilets is quite sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

begbysback wrote: »
    And how did the security guard know mike didn't have chrons

I never said he did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I don't have an official disability, however I have severe IBS and will absolutely use the Disabled toilets when I really need to, if it means avoiding an incident of explosive diahorrea everywhere. Sorry to be graphic, but it's how it is! I only use them when I absolutely need to, but it is definitely a NEED in those incidents, rather than an issue of comfort/convenience.

I don't see how urinal shyness could ever count as a disability, and OP I do think you're selfish for taking up the (usually limited) facilities, when you could've just used a cubicle in the regular gents loos. You mightn't have seen anyone "disabled" in the vicinity, but how do you know if someone how Chrons/IBS/etc just by looking at them? They need the toilet, with serious time urgency, much more than you do!

By all means, use the cubicle rather than the urinal, but it won't hurt you to wait a minute for it. Other people unfortunately don't have the luxury of being able to wait that minute; be nice and leave the disabled loo free for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smiler1955

OP would have amazing bad luck if someone with a disability rocked up in the 60 or so seconds it takes him to take a leak and then leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Same with the parking spots. You should park in them too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Smiler1955 wrote: »
    The security guard was probably making sure you weren't using it for drugs initially. It's a big problem in the city centre where junkies sneak into shopping centre and bar/pubs to use the toilets for drugs.

What I was thinking alright. A telling off from a security guard I understand but he also looked top to bottom, side to side all over the disabled toilet as if searching for something. Maybe it gets used by drug users around the Dublin 1 area

Ok thanks for all the replies folks

Aren't they? Isn't it fairly obvious not to use something that's been put aside for people less fortunate than you?

Whatever the rules are he is perfectly capable of using normal toilets but just doesn't want to, that's pretty selfish. Him using it means someone who really needs it isn't able to and could leave them in a horrible situation.

The fact people are arguing about the "rules" around disabled toilets is quite sad really.

As I and others have said it's not exclusive use and many double up for child changing facilities. I still use them when with my kids and don't want to see rolled eyes or tut tutting from misguided people.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    Same with the parking spots. You should park in them too.....

No, it's not. I already said so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Smiler1955 wrote: »
    OP would have amazing bad luck if someone with a disability rocked up in the 60 or so seconds it takes him to take a leak and then leave.

Yes but think about it, if disabled toilets are a free for all, imagine a busy concert. They would be constantly full with pissing women whilst someone could be struggling to stand up long enough to get to them.

pilly wrote: »
    Yes but think about it, if disabled toilets are a free for all, imagine a busy concert. They would be constantly full with pissing women whilst someone could be struggling to stand up long enough to get to them.

They usually are free for alls at concerts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

They usually are free for alls at concerts!

Don't know what concerts you go to. :D But seriously I wouldn't use them at a concert, purely for the fact that I'd die with shame if I came out and someone on a walking frame or stick or whatever was there.

Or even worse still someone who had soiled themselves.

I've had some experience of this as my mother had a bag for a period of a year and she did have a couple of accidents that were embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Well it's been a while, but I would always see it at The Point/O2. Maybe not so much now since it's been renovated, but you'd see it regularly at busy music venues, pubs and clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Not a PI thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement