Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much for shopping around in Ireland

• 22-06-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i'm looking for car insurance quotes.

i tried 5 different companies today and all within approx 50 euros of each other.

it's a pretty lame attempt at free market competition in this country when multiple players in a market are all the same price for the same service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I shopped around and reduced my renewal from ?980 to ?549, a few were in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi,

i tried 5 different companies today and all within approx 50 euros of each other.

it's a pretty lame attempt at free market competition in this country when multiple players in a market are all the same price for the same service.

Motoring and Transport forum is that way >>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

To be fair, motor insurance is a rip off in this country.

We could debate whether the root cause of the ripoff is government levies, government policy in the area, insurance company performance, insurance company profiteering, insurance fraud, uninsured drivers, high claim rates, or reduced investment returns on international markets.

I think most people will see widely different quotes from different companies though. It's hard to know whether your €50 is significant (e.g. €50 of a €300 quote is variance of 17%). Or maybe the companies you contacted share an insurer (e.g. I think a number of companies use RSA)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi,

Need to try more than that, mine ranged from €700 up to over €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Yeah having a similar issue. Tried a few yesterday and all were within €100 of eachother.

What's worse is one of them wouldn't insure my car at all...its 2003 and deemed to old apparently. Its in great shape. I have had it since 2009 and have barely put any money into it. Has never failed an NCT but wont even give me a quote. Its disgraceful! Not everyone can afford to buy a new car every couple of years, or want to for that matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Who did you get quotes with? What were the prices, the car and your driving details etc?

My insurance has never went up once in the last few years and everyone i know seems to be getting a hike in theirs and i dont know why because there is more reason for mine to be higher as i have endorsements

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PBWXFORD wrote: »
    Who did you get quotes with? What were the prices, the car and your driving details etc?

My insurance has never went up once in the last few years and everyone i know seems to be getting a hike in theirs and i dont know why because there is more reason for mine to be higher as i have endorsements

Mine is gone up by 33-35% in each of the last 2 years - No explanation from Insurance co, despite no claims, and value decreasing on the car. Can't get it any cheaper anywhere else, but there is a big difference in quotes.

Now trying to put my 20 your old on as a learner, and one of the insurance companies are putting up the quote by €200 because I have 3 points on my licence, which is nothing to do with getting the 20 year old insured.
    I'm ringing the insurance ombudsman next week to see if they can get away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Got quotes from a broker, Zurich, an post insurance, blue insurance, credit union insurance. All within €50, quote was €700-750.

Car is 8yrs old, no claims ever, I'm mid forties, no penalty points. Drive approx 12000km a year.

Every year for the last 3 years my policy price has gone up, in those 3 years I would estimate the total increase is approx 100%.

Another thing I notice is the price between 3rd party and fully comprehensive is very little. That wasn't always the case historically.

This is not how a free market works. For one, the price seems upwards only.

Did you try Liberty? Thats who im with since i started driving and they always give me the best price of all the companies every year thats why i havnt moved from them!

Currently im insured on a 2012 Insignia VX-Line 2liter 160 and its costing €574 fully comp with protected NCB, (i can get 3rd party on it for just over €300. I also have a 2007 207 GTI and they quoted me €352 fully comp on that which is extremely cheap as its classed as a high performance car

Im 34, with 8 years NCB but have 9 endorsements on my licence which they know of and were actually the only company who would insure me when i got my licence back!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 missvicky

I got serveral quotes ranging from 650-1500, 6 years NCB, no penalty points etc, eventually tried 123.ie and got it for 500 fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Did you try Liberty? Thats who im with since i started driving and they always give me the best price of all the companies every year thats why i havnt moved from them!

Currently im insured on a 2012 Insignia VX-Line 2liter 160 and its costing €574 fully comp with protected NCB, (i can get 3rd party on it for just over €300. I also have a 2007 207 GTI and they quoted me €352 fully comp on that which is extremely cheap as its classed as a high performance car

Im 34, with 8 years NCB but have 9 endorsements on my licence which they know of and were actually the only company who would insure me when i got my licence back!
    123.ie = €767
    Liberty = €1457

Both fully comprehensive

I think 2 things are loading the premium.

1. Car has the word 'sport' in its title. It's a Mazda 6 1.8 petrol.
    2. I live in Limerick. Which has a 'high claims' culture or so we're told.

Jesus! Still seem far too expensive, especially with your age and clean licence!

For instance the 207 is a sports hatch, 1.6 turbo and one person came to buy it from me last week but he couldnt get insurance and every company told him the same thing, they wouldnt insure him on that car until he was over 30 because it classed as high performance yet i can insure it for €352 so i should think that your insurance on the Mazda would be around the same if not cheaper counting your age... unless the area is making a massive difference? I live in Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Got quotes from a broker, Zurich, an post insurance, blue insurance, credit union insurance. All within €50, quote was €700-750.

Car is 8yrs old, no claims ever, I'm mid forties, no penalty points. Drive approx 12000km a year.

Every year for the last 3 years my policy price has gone up, in those 3 years I would estimate the total increase is approx 100%.

Another thing I notice is the price between 3rd party and fully comprehensive is very little. That wasn't always the case historically.

This is not how a free market works. For one, the price seems upwards only.
    Try aig xlnt driver and add your partner to the policy.

I drive 70k km a year, class 2, fully comp, 35k value, €675 cost up from 640 last year and just under 600 year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Try aig xlnt driver and add your partner to the policy.

I drive 70k km a year, class 2, fully comp, 35k value, €675 cost up from 640 last year and just under 600 year before.

xlnt driver is a joke, saved a few quid last year, policy increased by over 10% on renewal and they would not budge, my average on the app was over 85, it did slow me down and i found it a good app in regards to monitoring your driving, speed, braking etc.
    But what is the point if they still up your policy?????? fffking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

xlnt driver is a joke, saved a few quid last year, policy increased by over 10% on renewal and they would not budge, my average on the app was over 85, it did slow me down and i found it a good app in regards to monitoring your driving, speed, braking etc.
    But what is the point if they still up your policy?????? fffking joke.

I don't see where it says that it guarantees the cost to come down - plenty fo other factors increasing insurance. As with anything, if you don't like it, pick another company

I'm a mature driver, 30 years no claims, drive 60-70,000km a year, (class 2 driving) good car, insurance is just over €500 with aig, quoted up to €800 with some others.

I shop around every year - if someone else offers a bewtter quote with similar policy, I move. But currently AIG are best for me by about €200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I don't see where it says that it guarantees the cost to come down - plenty fo other factors increasing insurance. As with anything, if you don't like it, pick another company

I'm a mature driver, 30 years no claims, drive 60-70,000km a year, (class 2 driving) good car, insurance is just over €500 with aig, quoted up to €800 with some others.

I shop around every year - if someone else offers a bewtter quote with similar policy, I move. But currently AIG are best for me by about €200

That's exactly what i do every year, this year I have all my policies with AXA as they have rewarded my loyalty. My point is that AIG ask you to use an APP which I think is a very good idea in regards to monitoring and regulating driving behaviour, but you do not get any loyalty from them, so what is the point of it anyway?

Advertisement