Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever tried weaning themselves off cigarettes

Options
  • 22-06-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Buddy of mine says this worked for him. Over the course of a month or so he gradually decreased his usage from 20 a day, down to 15, 10 and so on. He started this in January this year and was off them entirely by early Feb.

At this stage I'll try anything, I started up again recently after 7 months free. I'd just like to hear if anyone else has ever gone about quitting in this manner and if so was it successful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Initially I quit smoking during the day during working hours & just smoked a few in the evening & then at weekends if I was out socializing. After a few weeks I quit from Monday to Friday entirely and then a few weeks later I quit entirely. It worked for me but I know everyone is different.

I literally sat out each craving at a time by thinking to myself that it will only last a few minutes. Every time I craved one I thought this to myself until the craving passed. I suppose it was like Mindful Cigarette quitting :).

The main thing was not to get overwhelmed about it. Just go from one moment to the next. And if you can manage this it will be days, weeks, months, years since your last one. Good luck. It is hard but once you don't let it rule you and you decide that you want this you can do it!!

Allen Carrs book helped me a lot. There were a few little lines that really resonated with me. I think the main one was each craving only lasts a short while..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've tried so many ways, the only sure fire way is champix as will power not required just the ability to follow a prescription to the letter. I've don't it 3 times now with champix (had to stop and restart the last time on doctors orders hence it was 3 times). I hate those f'n tablets so much now and know there the only thing that work I won't smoke as know I'll have to go back on them, stopped last day of January and have had 3 smokes since, all when I was beered up, really regretted it in the morning but the last thing on my mind was going getting a box I was more concernded or getting the old carpet licking ashtray taste out of my mouth.

Your mates plan might work, champix works kinda the same way forces you to cut down every day until you eventually stop, only difference is no effort required for champix.

I didn't finish last prescription, doctor told me just stop the tablets as already had stopped smoking and that was that.

Advertisement