Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some advice

• 22-06-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

i have been riding bikes on and off since i was 17. due to personal circumstances i had to sell my bike(gsxr750) a few years back.

i let my licence lapse and it went out of date in 2014.
    so my questions are:

i had a unrestricted A provisional so i could ride anything i wanted. what is the story now. i know i will have to book a test to get my licence back but:

will i still have the unrestricted A?
    will i need to do lessons etc?
    who is the best bike insurance these days?

any help greatly appreicated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once a licence is expired less than 10 years you can renew it, IIRC it's 5 years for a permit. After that you have to start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have been riding bikes on and off since i was 17. due to personal circumstances i had to sell my bike(gsxr750) a few years back.

i let my licence lapse and it went out of date in 2014.
    so my questions are:

i had a unrestricted A provisional so i could ride anything i wanted. what is the story now. i know i will have to book a test to get my licence back but:

will i still have the unrestricted A?
    will i need to do lessons etc?
    who is the best bike insurance these days?

any help greatly appreicated.

I let mine lapse, I needed to do a theory test :rolleyes: and the 500 quid "lessons" to get insured. You'll get an A provisional so you can drive anything again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

just off the phone with principal insurance and the guy told me anything with an R in the name i will struggle to get insurance. there goes my plans of an r1:o

just off the phone with principal insurance and the guy told me anything with an R in the name i will struggle to get insurance. there goes my plans of an r1:o

Carole nash insured me with an "R" in it

Steve012 wrote: »
    Carole nash insured me with an "R" in it

On what your licence and bike if you don't mind me asking

• Advertisement

Provisional "A" licence, gixer

Provisional "A" licence, gixer

O.k. thanks I will ring them tomorrow. Have my eye on a cbr 600

I think it was Principle who wouldn't insure me because I changed the cans on my bike, they won't touch anything modified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Principal don't mind mods it's carols rash who want engineers reports for exhausts i thought

Principal don't mind mods it's carols rash who want engineers reports for exhausts i thought

I'm insured with Carol Nash and declared the cans. Once they aren't performance they where fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Del2005 wrote: »
    I think it was Principle who wouldn't insure me because I changed the cans on my bike, they won't touch anything modified.
    I've a sidecar outfit insured with them no problems.

I've a sidecar outfit insured with them no problems.

Might have been AXA :o

Got a quote of carol Nash on a cbr600 of 530 which I think is very good considering principle would not quote me

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Got a quote of carol Nash on a cbr600 of 530 which I think is very good considering principle would not quote me

That's not bad to start with, expect it will start going down after the first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I let mine lapse
    How long for?

How long for?

Just over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Just over 5 years.
    And you were on provisional? That would make sense.

Advertisement