Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential career change

Options
  • 22-06-2017 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

So I've been teaching for a couple of years now and I'm sick of the lack of responses and the lack of jobs. I'm worn out of the constant struggle to find work. Every 4 to 6 months I'm filling out applications again. "It gets easier," "it'll be worth it," etc. I want to be a positive person but realistically I'm not. My subject combination is common and I'm obviously not seen as a good teacher. So I'm thinking about giving up. Can anyone here suggest areas for a career change? I'm relocating to galway for personal reasons although I had taught up and down the country to gain experience. No major commitments but I want to end up in galway so making the change now. What areas would anyone recommmend?

Also I have been in the UK and I will not be returning. So I have tried many things.

Thanks,

Sad and frustrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

cmegzc wrote: »
    So I've been teaching for a couple of years now and I'm sick of the lack of responses and the lack of jobs. I'm worn out of the constant struggle to find work. Every 4 to 6 months I'm filling out applications again. "It gets easier," "it'll be worth it," etc. I want to be a positive person but realistically I'm not. My subject combination is common and I'm obviously not seen as a good teacher. So I'm thinking about giving up. Can anyone here suggest areas for a career change? I'm relocating to galway for personal reasons although I had taught up and down the country to gain experience. No major commitments but I want to end up in galway so making the change now. What areas would anyone recommmend?

Also I have been in the UK and I will not be returning. So I have tried many things.

Thanks,

Sad and frustrated.

It's important to keep confidence in yourself - you are not a bad teacher - you just haven't found your ideal school/job yet - it will happen. I've a substantial CV from all the schools I've worked in - it has also seemed to be a positive as people ask me how other schools do certain things i.e. you bring a wealth of experience with you. There are many schools in the Galway/Clare/Mayo areas. Drop CVs into whatever schools you would like to work in. It's only June - don't give up until at least the end of October. Put your name and details on subteacher.ie. It will happen for you - keep travelling the road you're travelling - if nothing, it will show that you are determined to be a teacher. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry to hear that. What are you subjects? That would help if you're looking for suggestions for the new career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭cmegzc

dory wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. What are you subjects? That would help if you're looking for suggestions for the new career.

English and history

Advertisement