Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike cleaning

• 22-06-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a bike with a fair bit of chrome. I haven't really ever let it get wet, and was planning on buying a winter bike, but was wondering, as I've seen a local service for a full clean and polish for 150 euros, whether if I ran the bike through the winter, and then got a full clean (it seems to cover just about everything, hot clean, polish etc), would it come up like new every year, or would I be better getting a winter bike?
    A second bike would cost more tax, insurance, etc, but I'm not overly bothered,it's more an irritant than anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I rode my bike almost everyday this winter. and just took it to this guy: https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclevaletingDublin/

and it looked brand new after he was done.

He had been working on a few harleys when I dropped back and they were gleaming.

He applies an ACF treatment, so I would suggest doing it before winter and some light maintenance throughout will keep it in good nick. ACF lasts a good few months afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I rode my bike almost everyday this winter. and just took it to this guy: https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclevaletingDublin/

I'll second that. He did a great job on mine. I was very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really cant justify the price of it TBH, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Really cant justify the price of it TBH, but each to their own.
    How much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

more than a can of acf 50 I guess

• Advertisement

Anywhere from €100-150 afaik depending on the work.

I dont knock the guys work but I can clean my bike within an inch of its life and coat it with ACF50 and it takes a solid hour....labour intensive it is but its not rocket science. Now if the bike is in rag order or you just bought a bike in a terrible state maybe a once off total clean by this guy is a good way to go and then keep on top of it yourself.

Or if you are really flush and nothing else to do with your De Niros €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I use the cleaning process to keep check on everything, done it for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Or if you are really flush and nothing else to do with your De Niros €€€€€

or if you have rented house with a deep gravel driveway and it's a pain in the hole to get to hard to reach spaces without much room to maneuver.

100 quid twice a year isn't a lot.

As I said each to their own, I aint knocking the guys service I am sure he is the "Mr Sheen" of his generation.

Hope he cleans up......

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I can clean my bike within an inch of its life and coat it with ACF50 and it takes a solid hour....labour intensive it is but its not rocket science.
    The_Chap wrote: »
    I use the cleaning process to keep check on everything, done it for years

Have to agree with this. Its not that hard to clean the bike very well (15-30 shmackeroos spent in halfrods will last you 6 months) and it's the one time when I really check the bike over properly, and unfortunately/ fortunately I have discovered issues when cleaning it in the past. That said, I haven't cleaned it in months. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement