Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ran out of money while on holidays abroad. What are my options? Please help.

Options
  • 22-06-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I planned a budget holiday on my own. Booked a few touristy things to do each day. All the money for that came out of my account yesterday. As of right now my current account is overdrawn and I have €50 in my wallet to last me til Monday (accommodation and transport home is all taken care of). I get paid monthly so my account was already low but I never took account of the events I booked. Can't get refunds as the money won't be back in my account til next week. I've gotten someone to wire me money but I'm not sure if the money will clear in my account by tomorrow at close of business.

Do I have any options for what I can do to get money to see me through til Monday. I'm out of ideas and desperate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the money is not in your account at around 4am Irish time tomorrow it won't be there. Get a family member or mate to send you money via Western Union, might cost circa €15 to send €50 to €100. Have a look here for locations, generally unless you are in a really off the beaten track place there will be one nearby...

https://www.westernunion.com/ie/en/agent-locator.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

I planned a budget holiday on my own. Booked a few touristy things to do each day. All the money for that came out of my account yesterday. As of right now my current account is overdrawn and I have €50 in my wallet to last me til Monday (accommodation and transport home is all taken care of). I get paid monthly so my account was already low but I never took account of the events I booked. Can't get refunds as the money won't be back in my account til next week. I've gotten someone to wire me money but I'm not sure if the money will clear in my account by tomorrow at close of business.

Do I have any options for what I can do to get money to see me through til Monday. I'm out of ideas and desperate.

Who do you Bank with?
    If you have a friend or family member with bank of Ireland and you are also then you can register for pay to mobile and they can transfer up to €300 to you
    It's instant,money goes in straight away

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/pay-to-mobile/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ask a friend or family member to go to a branch and deposit straight into your account. It will be in your account instantly and takes about 1 minute. No need for transfers or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

9or10 wrote: »
    credit card?

If that was an option the poster might already be availing of it don't you think ?
    Poster ; western union .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your holiday just turned into adventure travel. Budget adventures!

You've got E50 to last you for 5 days. That's a tenner a day. Figure out where the supermarkets are and you should be able to feed and water yourself for that easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

It's not ideal but you will survive. Are there meals provided on any of the trips you've booked? Is your accommodation room only or b&b? I was away recently and stayed in a hotel on a b&b basis and the breakfast was buffet style so we filled up every morning and weren't hungry again til about 4pm. If you're on a room only board then just go to a supermarket and find the cheapest things in it. If you're at home it's easy to stretch €50 a week just for food, better to be poor in a nicer location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

O.P: My in laws ran out of money on their honeymoon in Italy in the early 70s. They survived the rest of their honeymoon eating crisps and oranges! They still tell the tale.
    Hope you can get a family member or friend to deposit some cash in your account in the morning. In the meantime it sounds like you need to buy a loaf of bread/ cheese/ ham and stock up on the sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The 2.30 tomorrow at Royal Ascot, stick on that 50 and say a prayer........ :)

Actually, how about going round to some places and asking for a days work for cash? Explain the situation in some English speaking bar (dont know where you are) and see if they'll give you a few quid for cleaning tables/whatever.
    Worth a shot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

If the money is not in your account at around 4am Irish time tomorrow it won't be there

Why are you giving false information?

You can't make a statement like that based on the information the OP gave. I think your usual exercise of a 20 second google has let you down yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why are you giving false information?

You can't make a statement like that based on the information the OP gave. I think your usual exercise of a 20 second google has let you down yet again.

In general if the money is not in the account Friday night/saturday morning 4am it is not going to be in it over the weekend as banking pretty much freezes all weekend.

If you have some Lord Of The Rings style solution outside this please share it us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If you get them to deposit some money straight into your bank account, it'll be there pretty much right away?

Make sure they take into account that you're overdrawn as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the money is not in your account at around 4am Irish time tomorrow
    In general if the money is not in the account Friday night/saturday morning 4am it is not going to be in it over the weekend as banking pretty much freezes all weekend.

Contradicting yourself there AD. 4AM Friday and 4AM Saturday arent the same thing.

Banks COB is 4PM Friday. Normally this will mean clearing into the account around 8AM that morning but can vary significantly from bank to bank.

Are you in the US OP like your previous thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

If someone lodges straight into your account it will be there instantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

careful getting money lodged while overdrawn - you may not be able to access it. what is your overdraft limit? i know on bank of ireland 365 you can apply for overdraft, you may be able to apply to extend limit of overdraft?
    if you've been a good customer, banks can be quite accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Are you in Hong Kong or Budapest? 50e could go a long way depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

If it's ulsterbank you can apply for an overdraft online and it's done instantly from what I can remember from my experience!

But make sure to pay off the overdraft it's easy to get stuck in the rut of using the overdraft every month !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A bank transfer from one AIB account to another using internet banking takes about 30-60 seconds, any time of the day or night. Maybe up to five minutes if you have to re-enter your details.

But if you've got some cash, then you'll be grand. For a while there, I used to have to manage on 80€ a month, and have never got back in the habit of spending. Use it as a learning experience. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Login to internet banking. Request an overdraft facility. If they see you are regularly paid it will be instantly approved for half your monthly wage. I'm with AIB.

If you're with another bank and they don't have this service. They should be able to do it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Make sure they take into account that you're overdrawn as well.

If you get them to deposit some money straight into your bank account, it'll be there pretty much right away?

Thanks to everyone for the help. Got a family member to deposit money in my account (online banking). Money went through straight away (minus what was overdrawn). I have extra money now, but because I was overdrawn im still a little tight. Should see through to Monday provided I'm careful. Thanks for all the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement