Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options
  • 22-06-2017 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Don't know whether to laugh or cry,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Change the link from shortened to full:

https://youtu.be/Cy2QrdXn0Iw ->>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2QrdXn0Iw

Otherwise the embed fails.

EDIT: Sorted.

First 10 seconds, fancies himself a tuber then uses that music? Lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,770 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does he not have his bike blocking the northbound cycle lane, then he's complaining about courtesy, pure tool. I'd have not stopped if I had all the tools he needed with an attitude like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Does he not have his bike blocking the northbound cycle lane, then he's complaining about courtesy, pure tool. I'd have not stopped if I had all the tools he needed with an attitude like that.

Not really blocking it at all. Though does illustrate how laughably narrow it is.

Clontarf cycle path though, so I would expect it to be people who are more hobbyists than himself. He does seem to have a weird sense of self importance over it all.

I normally ask myself and have offered tubes and such in the past and was asked when stopped near Sally Gap recently but I was thankfully only answering a call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does he fancy himself as durianrider with the language?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'i'm standing beside my bike and people don't stop to help'; is simlpy standing beside a bike supposedly meant to telegraph that he's in trouble?

'people aren't stopping to help me with a problem they won't be able to assist with!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

He looks like he's takin a selfie holding the camera up?????

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bending down struggling with a tyre and standing admiring yourself are very different signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Hmm… I'll slow down and say "Are you ok? Do you need help? I have tools…" if someone actually has the bike turned up; wouldn't occur to me if he was wheeling it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jesus! What does he want? Someone to stop and give him a wheel? 5 broken spokes? Of course, he could just ASK someone for assistance!!!

Would have been better served phoning for Team Car wife/mammy for pick up / wheel instead of taking selfies :pac:

Think we've all had those days but didn't make youtube videos about them ... bloody tool :D

EDIT: Oh no I made the mistake of checking youtube comments, bring a bucket folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I'm taking a video of myself while my bike leans against a wall across the way on a busy cyclepath. Why hasn't someone noticed my plight?????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Jesus! What does he want? Someone to stop and give him a wheel? 5 broken spokes? Of course, he could just ASK someone for assistance!!!
    Did you spot our two club mates at 42 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In keeping with the tone of the video....yes I f**kin did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe it's one of those things - the more people there are around, the less likely anyone is to stop. I'm new to this whole lark and I was well impressed one time I was out for a spin on very quiet roads in Meath, and I stopped to admire the scenery. Two bikes passed me and both asked was I alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Three, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

If he was working on the bike I would be inclined to stop and see if he was ok. But from a distance it would have looked to me like he was taking a break, taking photos/video, making a call. At the point he's standing I'm more likely to be watching out for the bollards and to make sure nobody was going to swing in off the road.

Holding up the wheel I'd be likely to stop alright but if you were stop for every cyclist who wasn't cycling along that path you wouldn't get anywhere. How many do you see sitting on the benches along the Sutton side of St Annes Park and sitting on the grass on the city side.

Calling the guy a tosser before giving him the chance to stop was fairly out of order, and honestly, if I saw him now in need of a hand I would probably keep going. Harsh on the other A1 Coaching clad members who are now associated with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've stopped for cyclists in mechanical trouble in the car on the Dublin city to Howth stretch. But not on the bike, I'd be useless to them on my short commute with no spare gear. Nobodies ever taken me up on a lift though. They've always rang someone to pick them up and some of them were a bit perplexed at me stopping to offer help.

I guess he's harking back to a pre-mobile phone time when people stopped to help each other out if one was in trouble. The vlog is a a bit misjudged but I can sort of see where he's coming from. Unfortunately it does hint of "the newbies" not towing the line a bit.

There's not much conviviality on that stretch to be honest. I used to nod or wave, even chat at stops. But I gave up with the serious cyclists. They're obviously training very hard on very expensive bikes and can't chat or acknowledge other cyclists, your average Joe or Josephine on regular BSO's will chat away.

I'd imagine if he was on a lonely road in the Dublin Mountains he'd have people stopping to check if he was ok.

Three, no?
    I was kinda thinking that alright but wasn't sure.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ...I guess he's harking back to a pre-mobile phone time when people stopped to help each other out if one was in trouble. The vlog is a a bit misjudged but I can sort of see where he's coming from. Unfortunately it does hint of "the newbies" not towing the line a bit....
    He looks to me to be perhaps early to mid 30's so I doubt he'd remember the pre mobile phone era. The way he continually refers to being a 'roadman', you'd swear he rode with Coppi and Bartali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

He looks to me to be perhaps early to mid 30's so I doubt he'd remember the pre mobile phone era. The way he continually refers to being a 'roadman', you'd swear he rode with Coppi and Bartali.

He's Anthony Walsh the owner of A1 coaching?

Pretty decent rider in fairness.

Given the explosion in cycling numbers, and all the good and bad that has come with it you have to expect some comments like that from some guys who grew up in the sport. I've seen similar in other sports

Something to put on his YouTube channel more than anything. He has had similar stuff before about the Sunday spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I always find when cycling in the city very few cyclists will even return a wave never mind stop to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What a moron, If you need help then ask for help. I don't get why I should ask you if you need help. If it was me in that situation I would be clever enough to know it's not a side of the road repair and would ring for lift, If no phone ask someone for a lend and ring a taxi but what exactly did he expect, maybe one of the guys passing had a few spare wheels.

I was caught out before when I had multiple punctures so I stood at the side of the road and asked cyclist as they passed and you know what, I got sorted very quickly by asking. Video makes me angry it's so stupid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

ford2600 wrote: »
    He's Anthony Walsh the owner of A1 coaching?

Pretty decent rider in fairness.

Given the explosion in cycling numbers, and all the good and bad that has come with it you have to expect some comments like that from some guys who grew up in the sport. I've seen similar in other sports

Something to put on his YouTube channel more than anything. He has had similar stuff before about the Sunday spin.

exactly. Jaysus, people need to cool the jets a bit. He's having a bit of craic with this video. Watch other A1 videos (SERIOUSLY, watch them, they're excellent). Very witty, and they certainly don't take themselves too seriously.

Unlike a lot of folks here, seemingly.

ford2600 wrote: »
    .........Pretty decent rider in fairness.....
    I'd give him a lot more than 'pretty decent'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Doesn't matter if the guy is a complete dickhead or the soundest fella ever, people should have stopped to ask if he was alright. It's the right thing to do.

With the new wave of participants in cycling a lot of the old etiquette is being lost. It's a real shame.

Stop if someone is obviously in trouble. Wave to cyclists going the other way. If you pass someone who's clearly struggling, offer them a wheel and a brief respite from the wind.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Is there any such thing like schwalbe for thin tyres so as not to get punctured?. Haven't got a puncture since I've used these on my hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In work, so can't see the video, but it would want to be pretty obvious on an urban cycle path for me to stop. Rural, I'd always ask.
    Brian? wrote:
    With the new wave of participants in cycling a lot of the old etiquette is being lost. It's a real shame.
    Not sure it really is, and if it is, it's just reflective of the etiquette decline in general I'd suggest.

califano wrote: »
    Is there any such thing like schwalbe for thin tyres so as not to get punctured?. Haven't got a puncture since I've used these on my hybrid.
    You can get Marathon Plus in 25mm which would fit most road bikes. Very heavy compared to the other options.

Brian? wrote: »
    Stop if someone is obviously in trouble. Wave to cyclists going the other way. If you pass someone who's clearly struggling, offer them a wheel and a brief respite from the wind.

All yes, but obviously in trouble is the key here. I wouldn't have thought he was in trouble.

I've stopped to help people - usually with something simple like a chain that's come off - and sometimes they seem scared at first; Ireland has changed, I think, a lot of people don't automatically talk to and trust strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

From looking at the video the back wheel is off the bike, surely to me that indicates he's in trouble?

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    From looking at the video the back wheel is off the bike, surely to me that indicates he's in trouble?

Ah, you're right. But standing there waving the wheel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement