Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I would nearly always ask if I saw someone in trouble.
    Helped a lad who was stranded just after Sally Gap a couple of months ago who had a puncture and he was so cold that he was shivering and couldn't get his wheel pumped up. By the time I was finished helping him I was freezing but at least the 2 of us could get back on the bikes and ride to warm up again at that stage.
    I would not have thought that he was in trouble, if he was standing beside the bike then I would have asked but to me it did not look like he was in trouble and was just taking a break.
    I probably would have saw him but not noticed the bike as they were not together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Haven't watched the video but read his spiel along with it on facebook the other day and thought he was being a bit ridiculous. What sort of 'help' did he expect to get?
    The couple of times I've had to stop on my own I've always had people offer help...probably because I was actually working on the bike at the time though rather than filming myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I find his attitude very annoying. He seems to be of the opinion that none of the people that passed him are "real" cyclists like he is. A lot of people who cycle these days might not know the first thing about maintenance and wouldn't be able to help someone. Mocking people for having carbon bikes and shoes! Called one guy a tosser before he passed him! As someone else said I've regularly stopped while driving to ask if people were ok and almost always stop when on my bike but quite a few times they have looked at me like I just **** in their helmets! I think to most of the people who passed him it would have looked like he was taking photos or something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Agree with comments on both side. But for I know him I'd be saying he was acting a bit childish. If your on your phone and your bike is 10 feet away leant up against a wall then you ain't going to get help.
    IF you back wheel is off or your wheel is in the air then FFS someone has to have the decency to ask.

There is a massive explosion and there is a big decrease in etiquette but in fairness thats because people just dont know. But common decency is another thing which is missing, you always look out for fellow riders, salute them and ask them if they need help. Its just a nice thing to do, someday it will be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

I can't listen to this lad anymore. Ring a taxi and get over it ! He used to have a few good videos in his early days with a1 coaching but his attempt at a GCN type show is pure head in your hands cringe stuff`. OK lads ye have run out of coffee ( it cant have been that good if ye are drinking it out of those buckets for mugs ) and how many more times can I curse. Certainly no durianrider as one poster said. He should stick to coaching "offline". sorry RANT over

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommyirl

Thats unbelievable. I wonder is it a cycling/triathlon club ethic, that is missed by the ordinary cyclist. I'd personally never go by a cyclist on the side of the road. In the past, I've borrowed or lent out tubes, food anything that was needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe a lot of cyclists would feel 'what can i offer someone decked out so much more professionally than i am?'

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

If I saw someone on the side of the road making a video of himself I wouldn't be especially inclined to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I dunno I've always thought that if you see someone in trouble, you stop to help. End of. Doesn't matter if you know how to fix the issue or not. There have been plenty of times where I've come across a problem I don't have the tools to fix. Snapped chain and no chain tool etc. I'll always stop though as they might also have a dead battery/no credit etc and be unable to call for a lift or something like that. Everyone passing him has a phone, the least they can do is stop and ask if there's anyway they can help.

If you can't help then no big deal it's added 30 seconds to your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Bloke is just looking for YouTube publicity and he's getting it now. I've stopped in the car and offered assistance to people, including a chap who was trying to replace a tubular tyre in a hedge. I don't have any tools with me, but I'm willing to offer a lift somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah I reckon he's thinking back on the old days.. I mean I used to know almost everyone i'd see on mountain bikes on spins in the hills, now there's just so many people on bikes...

Also, it would be wise that everyone carries the correct multitool/tubes etc and a fully charged phone..

Though no matter what i'd always say "you alright" as I passed someone at the side of the trail/road with there bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

As he looks so 'pro' I would have assumed he wouldn't have accepted help from anyone other then a team mate as to avoid getting disqualified or at least picking to a time pen! I'm quite sure everybody else was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I love Fridays :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Ah, you're right. But standing there waving the wheel?

Waving a wheel? Who does that outside a race?

The guy was stopped on a cycle path, obviously in trouble. The least I would have done was slow down and ask if there was anything I could do. His phone could be dead, he may have not money for a taxi, he could have run out of tubes etc etc.

A quick "Alright horse?" Is the least I'd expect.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

1bryan wrote: »
    exactly. Jaysus, people need to cool the jets a bit. He's having a bit of craic with this video. Watch other A1 videos (SERIOUSLY, watch them, they're excellent). Very witty, and they certainly don't take themselves too seriously.

Unlike a lot of folks here, seemingly.

Their show has great potential. I wish they'd edit it down a bit, can't be watching 40 + minutes.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think everyone's missing the main issue here, and I can't believe the discussion has gotten this far without someone mentioning it.

This is not a question of etiquette, it's one of manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's a delicate balance.

On the one hand, we should all be ready to help our fellow cyclist in time of need...

On the other, it's prudent to avoid eye-contact with mad people. And if you're filming yourself talking to yourself, waving at strangers for help with a problem that you know for a fact they will not be able to help you with, then you might be a mad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hmmmm, he doesn't exactly come across well in that vid. However, I do agree that few people ever ask if you need help.

If I ever see someone that looks like they are in trouble I always stop and ask if they are ok or if they need anything, despite only posessing limited mechanical skills myself. Sometimes all they might need is the lend of a phone to call the broomwagon. I've often given away tubes, patch kits and CO2 cannisters, loaned levers, pump, allen keys, etc. My first aid skills were also employed on more than one occasion. I've often been late for work (or my dinner!) as I've stopped to help a cyclist in need. I always carry a Saris Solo rack in the boot of the car in case I come across a stranded cyclist that might be in need of a lift. My theory is that it may be me some day needing that help - pay it forward and all of that! :)

The most annoying thing about that video though is not his rant, it's the fact that the footage is reversed. What's that about?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Rider out in the wilds - always stop and check.

Rider in the 'burbs on a commute - I'm on the way to work, might stop if they looks like they are struggling and I'm not late.

Anto Walsh hanging about in a bike lane - defo stop to help, if only to learn the secret of unsubscribing from various A1 mailing lists :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

buffalo wrote: »
    I think everyone's missing the main issue here, and I can't believe the discussion has gotten this far without someone mentioning it.

This is not a question of etiquette, it's one of manners.

Waving a camera in people's face when on the bike is pretty bad manners. Giving the fingers to someone too is pretty bad manners (i know it was in jest from one of his fellow "road men" or "men of the road".

He also assumes that all cyclists are men too, even calling one who was clearly a woman a man.

He could do with a bit of brushing up on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

As others pointed out, the location is probably key to it. Out in the countryside passing cyclists usually greet you or ask if you alright even if you are on a break and I have never encountered somebody not asking if you are alright when you are standing on the roadside fumbling about on your bike.

But in town, nah not really. I also would be to busy looking for traffic, bollards, glass and the usual shenanigans you can encounter on cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I've often given away tubes, patch kits and CO2 cannisters, loaned levers, pump, allen keys, etc.
    I always carry a Saris Solo rack in the boot of the car in case I come across a stranded cyclist that might be in need of a lift. My theory is that it may be me some day needing that help - pay it forward and all of that! :)

Geez, Rogue, that GI backpack is a great yoke.

"Bagman, dispense spoke wrench!"

164?cb=20150525163616

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

check_six wrote: »
    Geez, Rogue, that GI backpack is a great yoke.

"Bagman, dispense spoke wrench!"

164?cb=20150525163616

Ha ha! Brilliant! You're giving away your vintage! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Last weekend i saw two cyclists stopped outside my house. At first I wasn't sure if they were lost or had a mechanical problem.

So I went over and asked if they were ok? Did they need a pump or directions or something?

One of them answered : "ah thanks but were just stopped so we can play a game on our phones!" ......

The youth of today eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

@4:52
    "Look at this tosser, see does he even glance"

So he has decided before someone even gets near him that they are a tosser, he's a feckin twat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've had people stop and offer me help and even pass me a tube. Likewise I've done the same for other people, I've even changed a few tyres (bikes and cars) for other people and not just pretty girls.

Maybe his wheel looked beyond repair and he was on a route with public transport, bike shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

what a nobjockey...selfpromoting fool thinks hes better than other cyclist..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

Not a great advertisement for A1. Slagging off the general cycling public and thereby your potential customers isn't very clever.

To his main point about stopping for assistance; it's a split second decision in most cases. You see a guy with his wheel out and changing the tube and figure that he's pretty sorted. My experience has been that assistance has always been provided when I've asked for it. Phones have been lent to me, drivers (yes drivers) have stopped and offered assistance when I've crashed.

He's being a bit of a drama queen TBH. Dubs are still pretty sound in general when you're in obvious trouble, cyclist or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

jebus...Hes a coach..For real, what a space-cadet..wouldnt be using his services with an attitude like that, would'nt be learning much from him anyway...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement