Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Tomred13 wrote: »
    jebus...Hes a coach..For real, what a space-cadet..wouldnt be using his services with an attitude like that, would'nt be learning much from him anyway...

ha! was just thinking that as well. He doesn't come across too well.

and wasn't he cycling on the footpad there at the start too? eek.png

Also, wondered what an 'interville' is...says he was doing some 'intervilles' :P

*obviously I know how to spell 'footpath', and I know he meant 'interval' but still... shouldn't a top coach get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

He had a busted wheel. What did he expect other cyclists to do? Give him their own back wheel?
    In the half-hour or whatever that he was there he could've walked down to 360 Cycles near the Wooden Bridge where there is always a mechanic on duty.
    Realistically he needed a lift home. Phone Taxi / mum / pal with car instead of standing around doing nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jebus all ye lads are gas.

If you watch any of his other videos you can see that this is his usual style.

Fair enough it's not for most but in general he always takes the piss and over exaggerates things.

I found it quite funny myself and h does have a point to be fair a lot of road etiquette is on the way out. Lads looking to put the head down and be damned with anyone that tries to hinder my progress. I guess to some degree it could also be refereed to as common courtesy and manners another trait slowly slipping out of fashion.

If you didn't enjoy it move on and watch another but to belittle the company is just as childish.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Fair enough it's not for most but in general he always takes the piss and over exaggerates things.

I found it quite funny myself and h does have a point to be fair a lot of road etiquette is on the way out. Lads looking to put the head down and be damned with anyone that tries to hinder my progress. I guess to some degree it could also be refereed to as common courtesy and manners another trait slowly slipping out of fashion.

If you didn't enjoy it move on and watch another but to belittle the company is just as childish.

Too right. It's just a bit of banter and is typical of the stuff they do.

People need to lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ronoc wrote: »
    Too right. It's just a bit of banter and is typical of the stuff they do.

People need to lighten up.

So hold on. This guy gets to rant and complain for over 6 minutes but nobody is allowed to voice their opinion back?

You could just as easily argue that he needs to lighten up.

Sure people being against it on here are just having the banter. Lighten up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i keep hearing that cycling etiquette is on the way out - genuinely, any time i've been out on the road (usually NCD) and a cyclist has cycled past me and i'm doing anything to the bike, i've gotten an 'are ye alright?' shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i keep hearing that cycling etiquette is on the way out - genuinely, any time i've been out on the road (usually NCD) and a cyclist has cycled past me and i'm doing anything to the bike, i've gotten an 'are ye alright?' shout.

Did you reply with: "Yeah im f***in grand thanks!" :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

deandean wrote: »
    He had a busted wheel. What did he expect other cyclists to do? Give him their own back wheel?
    In the half-hour or whatever that he was there he could've walked down to 360 Cycles near the Wooden Bridge where there is always a mechanic on duty.
    Realistically he needed a lift home. Phone Taxi / mum / pal with car instead of standing around doing nothing!

Yep, I'd be struggling to do anything with that wheel at home with the full toolbox never mind on the side of the road.

I found it quite funny myself
    I tried looking back on it with that in mind, but I just don't even get what style of comedy he's aiming at. He's not taking a wry look at odd human behaviour, or being a slightly out-there character. He's just hurling abuse at passers-by and moaning.

Fair enough it's not for most
    True. Very true.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So hold on. This guy gets to rant and complain for over 6 minutes but nobody is allowed to voice their opinion back?

You could just as easily argue that he needs to lighten up.

Sure people being against it on here are just having the banter. Lighten up

We are all entitled to our opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My etiquette is to shout "Need anything?" as I go by without slowing down. I don't mind coming back if someone does need help, but it's hard enough for some of us to get the momentum up. Of course if he'd been on a steep uphill, I'd have to stop and take a minute or 5 to assess the severity of the situation :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 anthony_walsh

Enjoying the commentary above lads. I'd be happy to discuss live on the A1 Show next Monday at 5pm if you fancy nominating someone?

Enjoying the commentary above lads. I'd be happy to discuss live on the A1 Show next Monday at 5pm if you fancy nominating someone?

Feck off with your carbon bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Auric1973

It is bad form alright, and all these newbie cyclists who won't bother wAving back either.
    They'd have gotten a swift slap from any elder statesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Who does he think he is? You'd swear he rode as a professional or something and as for the Buggle fella, doing the RAS with no training, ****ing stupid if you ask me. Probably thrown out of Rapha because he was complaining about the Team issue Hairdryers or hair gel. Two Northside skangers, probably robbed the bikes they ride. Come to think of it, Planet X was robbed last year. He's a head like a glue sniffer, heard he hangs around with a Dutch glue importer.

Cycling etiquette my arse? They both ride around all year in the same gear, never even wash it. They never hear of a f**king washing machine? Wearing their A1 Coaching Winter Bibtights in 28 degree heat, ****ing FREDS if you ask me. Go on spins with no tubes or tools and sometimes no money, scabbing coffee and food off other Coffee shop customers. I've had to delete my e-mail account because of all the spam, setup another account and they still found me. GCN are far better, the lads on there are cool, have actually won races and know their ****. I'm staying away from the Clontarf Cycle path, don't want to bump into those pair of Freds, going on spins with broken spokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cyclists wear hair gel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cue 12 page thread on who has the best speaking voice....

Ah ain't it brilliant how the theme changes when confronted.

Excellent post greenmat ����

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Actions speak louder than words! Think I'll put on a TT skin suit, a rain "cape", a bandana and sunglasses! Then I'll jump into the club car, load up some tools, tubes and a track pump, then scour the streets looking for cyclists in distress!

Call me "Supercyclist"! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Just a second ... I think I see what is wrong here. He is living in some sort of a back to front world where no cyclist helps another.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

about 20yrs ago was out on a solo training spin to athboy in meath. On the way back to dublin i got two punctures and used up both tubes and being a bellend i had'nt seen the need for a repair kit that day..hmmm.. so stuck at the side of the road i took the shoes off, put bike on my shoulder and stuck out the tumb hoping for a generous soul to give me a lift into dublin. Third car that passed stopped and a very friendly face offered me a lift. It turned out to be ciaran power who was full of the chats, didnt regognise him at first eventhough i had raced against him as a junior, so i had a lovely drive back to dub mixed with a gentle lecture from ciaran on what to bring when out on a spin. Has stuck to me to this very day. Dropped me to my house and off he went.Legend of a man on and off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Why not discuss it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sir, pick me! Pick me, sir! Sir!

I have to say I'm a big fan of the show, Tuesdays and Thursdays are a bit of a highlight in the Dirk household, the gf ("boord") and myself grab a cup of tea and have a laugh watching it.

GCN is great and very well polished, but you can't beat the A1 show for the unscripted exchanges between the two of them. Sure, there are parts that aren't great and I'd like more advice, but they raise some important issues.

Is the etiquette one in this particular situation important? No, and he admits that in his video, but there is a wider problem that you can see at the weekends, and not just between cyclists. Look at guys throwing wrappers as they ride or running red lights. That kind of behaviour impacts negatively on all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Ah ain't it brilliant how the theme changes when confronted.

Excellent post greenmat ����

Well it's only been 50 minutes on a Friday night since he posted.

I had never heard of him, but the vibe I got off the video was one of superiority to all. Now, I don't know him, it might be totally out of character. Perhaps he was playing a "character". Comparisons were made to GCN videos, it is obvious from watching those immediately that the lads are joking/bantering. Maybe it's the fact that there's usually more than 1 person in the video, or the tone of voice used.

Cycling etiquette may be on the way out but do you not think that that it as a result of the uptake of cycling? If you commute in and out of the city do you wave to everyone you meet, I know I don't. But once you head outside maybe 10km of the city centre you'll find a lot more wave. People from the country wave/signal to everyone as they drive down boreens, they give up doing that as they hit main roads. Same thing.

Had you been standing beside the bike working on it, or calling out to get someones attention you'd have had a better chance of someone stopping. But, as I said before, from the video it would have looked to me like you were taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

brianomc wrote: »
    Cycling etiquette may be on the way out but do you not think that that it as a result of the uptake of cycling? If you commute in and out of the city do you wave to everyone you meet, I know I don't. But once you head outside maybe 10km of the city centre you'll find a lot more wave. People from the country wave/signal to everyone as they drive down boreens, they give up doing that as they hit main roads.

Ha... I was just about to post the same thing.

Cycling is ubiquitous now and no longer a niche thing that "you know everyone you meet doing it".

I find it shocking that people are shocked the vlogger didn't get attention. I don't tend to stop at every driver that's pulled over when I'm in my car, so why any different when I'm on another mode of transport? (unless they were obviously flagging me down to assist them)

brianomc wrote: »

Had you been standing beside the bike working on it, or calling out to get someones attention you'd have had a better chance of someone stopping. But, as I said before, from the video it would have looked to me like you were taking a break.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Ha... I was just about to post the same thing.

Cycling is ubiquitous now and no longer a niche thing that "you know everyone you meet doing it".

I find it shocking that people are shocked the vlogger didn't get attention. I don't tend to stop at every driver that's pulled over when I'm in my car, so why any different when I'm on another mode of transport? (unless they were obviously flagging me down to assist them)

To be fair he said he was walking with the bike for 20 mins if I saw anyone walking with their bike I'd ask if they were alright. I pulled in to a lad doing that very thing yesterday I had the bike a spares in the van so swapped out his tube and he was away again in no time at all chuffed with himself. I did the same for a woman walking her bike not long ago also. I had no spares so threw the bike in the back of the jeep and dropped her home. I'm probably just sound like that :cool: but seriously I'd like to think the majority that passed didn't realise he had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Ah people lighten up, it is only a sport/pastime for most people.

Have noticed myself nobody even nods or waves anymore, all trying to break Strava times???

I would always slow and ask if anybody needed help, but then I always carry a phone, and the OP should realise, there is a great feature on the phone apart from camera, it is a CALL button, to CALL someone to come get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I'm sorry but he comes across as a total a**hole in that vid. Yes, I can see he is trying to be funny but fails miserably. Haven't seen any or heard any of his other stuff and after watching that I certainly won't be. Maybe he should stick to the day job.

As for cycling etiquette, I think he's completely wrong. I've often seen people asking others if the needed help. Maybe they just all recognised him and chose not to ask!

I'm sorry but he comes across as a total a**hole in that vid. Yes, I can see he is trying to be funny but fails miserably. Haven't seen any or heard any of his other stuff and after watching that I certainly won't be. Maybe he should stick to the day job.

As for cycling etiquette, I think he's completely wrong. I've often seen people asking others if the needed help. Maybe they just all recognised him and chose not to ask!

No need for apologies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

To be fair he said he was walking with the bike for 20 mins if I saw anyone walking with their bike I'd ask if they were alright.

I'd find that incredibly irritating if people stopped to ask if I was alright if I was walking my bike. I frequently walk my bike if bringing it to the bike shop etc... but each to their own :D

If someone's clearly signalling they need help I help. If they appear to be handling things well themselves I assume they are happy tackling the task independently

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'd find that incredibly irritating if people stopped to ask if I was alright if I was walking my bike. I frequently walk my bike if bringing it to the bike shop etc... but each to their own :D

If someone's clearly signalling they need help I help. If they appear to be handling things well themselves I assume they are happy tackling the task independently

Well if you're walking to a bike shop in Clontarf you should be alright :D:pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement