Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PolarRoscoe

Typical ****ing dinasour bollox about cycling. You haven't been there when this happened blah blah bollox blah. This video simply highlights that the numbers in cycling has grown exponentially and looking after each other is a dying art. Pre mobile phone era doesn't really come into the equation. Common courtesy is essential but I presume the cycling archaic mantra have their own ideas. I'm delighted to not be mouldy into that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Just read page one. So much wrong with this! Expecting help without looking for it?
    The music and narrative ...eeek! 5 spokes and you are always walking! Reminds me of Durian right!
    Jus goin fore mee struktured ridee on de kcufin longest day of de year with me A1 homies. Gonna were longe sleve top , Gile and long strides and Karbin Jimmy choos. But to save wait Im leavin my wheel jig and spere spoaks beehinde n bringin me fussin action cam and selfie stik to ge mee outa a jammy sit bros. Sum one will dig my stressed vibes if I stand around filmin me self. Jobs oxo! Dont forghet to subzcrib to me chanel vlog and rembember major respect to the etiquettee. Anthhing less is pants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He needs to do this again in different scenarios to see if things have really changed that much or if Dollymount is just an anomaly given the numbers that cycle that route.

He's done Scenario 1. Full Kit Pro in need of help in busy cycle area. eg. Clontarf. Result. No help offered.
    Scenario 2. Full Kit Pro in need of help on a country lane. eg. Valleymount.
    Scenario 3. Obvious Newbie/Fred in need of help in busy cycle area. eg. Clontarf.
    Scenario 4. Obvious Newbie/Fred in need of help on a country lane. eg. Vallymount.

Like others have said, he probably appeared to many of the passing cyclists as not being in need of assistance. No doubt some just simply blanked him but his tone was a bit disparaging notwithstanding the style of his Youtube content. I'd like to see him run the other scenario's above (and give me the credit;)). He could dress up as a Newbie/Fred himself and try again at that exact spot and at the same day/time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I just watched this again and I noticed that he says "I'm gonna take this opportunity to prove that cycling etiquette is dead". I also noticed that the volume of his speech drops noticeably whenever any "tossers" come close to him. He doesn't actually WANT any help he just wants to prove that he is a real cyclist and everyone else is just a person on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not that I'd be in need of a coach as I just cycle for leisure but if I was I wouldn't be using his company after watching that video. Calling strangers "tossers" for not stopping while he's posing for a video. What a bad advertisement for the company. The only tosser was him. He could have walked to 360 cycles in the time he was there or he could have called for help. Even flag down a taxi on the busy road beside him! Don't expect people to be able to read your mind while you are taking a video! If I passed him taking a video of himself while the wheel was off the bike, I'd assume that he is just waiting for a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one might also wonder whether anyone did actually stop but was left on the cutting room floor as it didn't fit into the narrative.

And what's with the reversed footage?

Up in Cruagh or elsewhere thats remote and away main roads, he would get help – not that it would get him home of he mangled 5 spokes! I did not see him the "pro" taking out the spoke key to try and get home on two wheels. I'd give him more kudos if he attempted to rebalance the wheel by moving spokes about if necessary. It would be better than moaning about his situation. And what happened to the taxi he had called to pick him up? Bad for ratings to get rescued from hell too soon in the movie!

Arse fell out of one of my shopping bags coming out of tesco earlier as I was heading back to the bike , 10 people must have walked by as I was collecting my items off the ground and head back in to get a new bag before one lady stopped and gave me one of her reusable bags :)

By this fools logic I should have just stood there filming myself calling passers tossers under my breath saying shoppers have lost their etiquette :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh I also got a wave on the way home from 2 young lads in "pro" gear after I gave them one in passing on Donore Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sham58107 wrote: »
    ....and the OP should realise, there is a great feature on the phone apart from camera, it is a CALL button, to CALL someone....
    I don't think the OP was stranded! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

And how'd he manage to mangle five spokes anyway?

Fupping eejit, looks like his rear derrier was badly adjusted and it went into the spokes. If he can't keep his bike adjusted and roadworthy he should bring it back to the shop and get his money back, and not be hanging around like a mugger hoping to trap someone else to fix his problems.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Really pissed off by this guy.
    I cycle this route several times a week, just an ordinary bloke wearing jeans putting up miles trying to keep fit.
    I don't carry anything that would help myself if something breaks, bar a mobile phone, let alone anything that would help anybody else.
    However, if I see somebody in trouble with simple stuff like chains falling off I will stop and try and assist.
    I will completely ignore somebody in full racing regalia waving a wheel around his head with broken spokes hanging loose as there is nothing I can do.
    This is a suburban cycle route with all manners of users just going about their business, so for this guy to term us "twats" is crap.
    Since he can't cope with a breakdown in an area with taxi's, 2 great bike shops within a couple of miles, a bus stop within 50 metres of his accident I'd strongly recommend him not cycling too far out of Dublin, he might not survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

ah walshy look what you have started!!!

I suppose its a generational thing that we did back in the old days. Tbh i dont think some people just think of it. I have to say if you are in jeans or full kit i will always just ask if you are ok. I wont have a tig welder or or carbon fibre repair kit but just maybe a chain is stuck and i could possibly help with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dip?

He's obviously a professional cyclist with the matching everything, I'd say he knows best and we could all learn from him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Chuchote wrote: »
    Hmm… I'll slow down and say "Are you ok? Do you need help? I have tools…" if someone actually has the bike turned up; wouldn't occur to me if he was wheeling it along.

If i was passing and saw someone with their bike turned upside down id stop too , only to tell them theyre an idiot for having their bike that way as theyre destroying their hoods and saddle :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

He was obviously tired and frustrated. He comes across to me as a decent sort, who would stop and help anyone out, and was vexed that others wouldn't.
    I don't know the lad, but I know others like him. Just a salt of the earth type.
    I've been helped before, and given co2 canisters by complete strangers. It's a nice thing to at least ask. That was his point, and he's right.
    I wouldn't stop unless someone was pretty clearly having a mechanical issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Cycling on a footpath?
    Walking in a cycling lane?

Etiquette?

''Let he who is without sin.....''

Maybe he is the coolest guy in Carbon shoes...but I would not make a video about like this and put it in the public domain. It classic case from "How to make videos and alienate people"

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Funny how he hasn't reappeared on this thread to give his side of things.

Come on, at least have the balls to come on here and explain why you feel you can post a video of yourself calling people tosser just because they chose not to stop for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Come on, at least have the balls to come on here and explain why you feel you can post a video of yourself calling people tosser just because they chose not to stop for you.

Was he on this thread already? I don't think he was the op publicising the video here.
    Perhaps he contributed during the thread, perhaps not. Does anyone really care? Watch the video if you want, ignore it otherwise.
    Cyclists always helped each other out over the years but perhaps that has changed or depends on what kit one is wearing.
    Never stuck along that particular stretch as the taxis usually tout for business in the neighbouring segregated cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ragazzo wrote: »

Was he on this thread already? I don't think he was the op publicising the video here.
    Post 72.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Clontarf cycle path? Sure you could get your hole shot off down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

flatty wrote: »
    He was obviously tired and frustrated. He comes across to me as a decent sort, who would stop and help anyone out, and was vexed that others wouldn't.
    I don't know the lad, but I know others like him. Just a salt of the earth type.
    I've been helped before, and given co2 canisters by complete strangers. It's a nice thing to at least ask. That was his point, and he's right.
    I wouldn't stop unless someone was pretty clearly having a mechanical issue though.
    He may or may not have had a point however he went about it completely arse ways. All he has done with this video is ensure that the next time he's in trouble even more people will sail past him. And they will be absolutely right to!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Clontarf cycle path? Sure you could get your hole shot off down there.

Never got shot in my hole on the clontarf cycle path. The shelters were popular back in the day.

Post 72 is the answer to your questions. Who is most put out and affronted by the video? 15 seconds of fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

No, all he did was invite people to come on to his 'show' to discuss. The thing is it's being discussed here so why not front up is all I'm wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

He is totally "baiting" for publicity with this video. However he is not promoting A1 in any way with this video or himself. I know the two boys don't take themselves seriously on the A1 show but at 40minutes long spielberg would be needed to keep the attention and content interesting. The first 5 minutes of the show is total muck as the two boys trade 6th class humour with each other. Though the younger lad on left is actually funny this etiquitte jock should stick to slagging his mates on the wall outside the petrol station.

They need a real producer & probably writer who will keep their show "real" and reign in the "Ah jaysus" banter. Though that's for another thread probably.

He should be so embarrased about his wheel disintegrating from his 1500watt output that any other lad would phone home and lick his wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

out today myself. had no issues well none that stopped me anyway. but most dont say hello or even a simple wave. knobheads. Except the lads outside swords Fire Brigade station who were dead on!

i remember a few years ago i was going round howth malahide and spotted a lad in front of me. Caught him at the red light pulled up beside him. "hi are you doing a big spin today" nothing. Ah he must be foreigni thought. I sat on him and he tried to drop me...he couldnt. he was irish as he started cursing at me to get off his wheel or come around him. I wouldnt. he was mad i felt bad (no not really)!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

morana wrote: »
    but most dont say hello or even a simple wave. knobheads.
    most people on that cycle path don't self-identify as cyclists, i'll bet. they don't see you and think, 'ah, a fellow cyclist' in the same way you probably don't wave at every person you pass while walking with an 'ah, a fellow pedestrian' attitude. it's not a failing on their part.

most people on that cycle path don't self-identify as cyclists, i'll bet. they don't see you and think, 'ah, a fellow cyclist' in the same way you probably don't wave at every person you pass while walking with an 'ah, a fellow pedestrian' attitude. it's not a failing on their part.

Nail on the head there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not just that. That path is so busy that your arm would be hanging off with tiredness at the end of it.

It's funny that motorcyclists also complain about not getting waves.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone doesn't wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Had a flat two weeks ago and while changing tubes a fellow cyclist stopped to offer assistance, I was ok and he continued on his way. Was nice of him to stop.

I was out today on a spin going through Tallaght and saw a cyclist trying to fix his bike so stoped to assist. Rear derailer cable looked like it was gone on a down tube shifter and I had no tools so couldn't help unfortunately but I tried to do what I could. Also waved at or nodded at every cyclist I passed and got a few back so no not dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement