Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Not just that. That path is so busy that your arm would be hanging off with tiredness at the end of it.

It's funny that motorcyclists also complain about not getting waves.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone doesn't wave.

No its not lads and ladies on the path or the ones going to work on sat they will almost always give a nod or whatever. Its the lads on the pinarellos and cervelos who don't identify as being cyclist and despite a howya nothing. Too cool. Knobheads

And who doesn't say hello to other pEDs??? Knobheads on expensive bikes pretending to be pros perhaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone not waving doesn't make them a knobhead. Thinking someone is a knobhead for not waving is more a sign that you might be a knobheab.

100s of reasons people don't wave, and often you get a wave so late it's hard to acknowledge it. It's also very easy to get lost in your own work when out cycling, which is the best thing about it to be honest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    Its the lads on the pinarellos and cervelos ....

....Knobheads on expensive bikes
    Mental note - stay off morana's radar

:)

Weepsie wrote: »
    Someone not waving doesn't make them a knobhead. Thinking someone is a knobhead for not waving is more a sign that you might be a knobheab.

100s of reasons people don't wave, and often you get a wave so late it's hard to acknowledge it. It's also very easy to get lost in your own work when out cycling, which is the best thing about it to be honest.

Stop will ya for gods sake. PS I am sure loads think I am but at least I am a say hello and will stop to help you knobhead ( who rides a cervelo)

morana wrote: »
    Stop will ya for gods sake. PS I am sure loads think I am but at least I am a say hello and will stop to help you knobhead ( who rides a cervelo)

I won't and why should I. If people are going to go around calling people tossers, twats and knobheads for daring to not abide by their standards then they damned well better be prepared to take the same when it's tossed at them.

I don't know you so I wouldn't call you that, plus you're a regular poster with good insights so no.

Just don't go painting people in such a way for small reasons. It's pretty. Edit - it's petty

Hoping onto someone's wheel without announcing yourself is another matter however....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

I won't and why should I. If people are going to go around calling people tossers, twats and knobheads for daring to not abide by their standards then they damned well better be prepared to take the same when it's tossed at them.

I don't know you so I wouldn't call you that, plus you're a regular poster with good insights so no.

Just don't go painting people in such a way for small reasons. It's pretty.

Hoping onto someone's wheel without announcing yourself is another matter however....

Is it pretty or petty?

I don't understand people getting upset over others sitting on them. You have to get to where you are going regardless of somebody taking a bit of shelter behind you. It's not a race, no prizes, no team selection, just a spin from A to B and people throwing the head because someone sits on them and gains an advantage and doesn't do a turn. Seriously? Could the annoyed hero be a bit of a knobhead perhaps? Just a thought...

ragazzo wrote: »
    Is it pretty or petty?

I don't understand people getting upset over others sitting on them. You have to get to where you are going regardless of somebody taking a bit of shelter behind you. It's not a race, no prizes, no team selection, just a spin from A to B and people throwing the head because someone sits on them and gains an advantage and doesn't do a turn. Seriously? Could the annoyed hero be a bit of a knobhead perhaps? Just a thought...

Exactly it's not a race.

I don't know how competent the person is behind me out in the wild nor they I.

It's not that I've a problem with people getting on my wheel, but announce it at the very least. There's times when people have to brake hard, change their line etc. Someone unexpected behind you can possibly make those potential events more hazardous. Announcing it at least gives the person in front a chance to help.

I've never thrown the head, I just think it's bad form.

If you want to start calling names however, I'd suggest you grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Over the course of an average week the normal users of this cycle path would outnumber the Saturday/Sunday racer guys by a factor of god knows what, 1000 to 1 or maybe more
    As in my last post, I use this path maybe 5 or 6 times a week, no winks, arm waves, head rises or any of the other crap that seems to be part of the "cycling fraternity". It's a cycle path for fcuks sake, keeps us off the road.
    Get a life guys, you're all sounding like knobheads, it's a bicycle you're on, same as little children ride except you go a bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Exactly it's not a race.

I don't know how competent the person is behind me out in the wild nor they I.

It's not that I've a problem with people getting on my wheel, but announce it at the very least. There's times when people have to brake hard, change their line etc. Someone unexpected behind you can possibly make those potential events more hazardous. Announcing it at least gives the person in front a chance to help.

I've never thrown the head, I just think it's bad form.

If you want to start calling names however, I'd suggest you grow up.

I am not sure where I started to call people names but sure work away there on whatever spiel you're practicing and I am, of course, most grateful for your suggestion.
    You are probably much more experienced than me and I perhaps don't know my place in the hierarchy of cycling gods. Is it a pyramid based on speed, age, experience? I'm baffled!
    The cyclist sitting on your wheel is possibly capable of paying attention and avoiding any hazards you may cause when braking hard and swerving off your line. It sounds to me like you need to calm down a bit. Is pedalling furiously and erratic riding not an offence of sorts. Educate me.

I am not sure where I started to call people names but sure work away there on whatever spiel you're practicing and I am, of course, most grateful for your suggestion.
    You are probably much more experienced than me and I perhaps don't know my place in the hierarchy of cycling gods. Is it a pyramid based on speed, age, experience? I'm baffled!
    The cyclist sitting on your wheel is possibly capable of paying attention and avoiding any hazards you may cause when braking hard and swerving off your line. It sounds to me like you need to calm down a bit. Is pedalling furiously and erratic riding not an offence of sorts. Educate me.

There's an obvious insinuation in your post. They are of course very possibly capable, but they are also possibly incapable.

It's a bit of common courtesy and no more. Not asking for a full profile of people. Anyway, off to bed I go ready to cycle in the morning.

This has turned into a clust3rfkk of people just being obtuse or worse still wilfully ignorant.

Safe cycling to all

• Advertisement

Ah look I started the name calling i am happy to take the rap for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dusty207 wrote: »
    Over the course of an average week the normal users of this cycle path would outnumber the Saturday/Sunday racer guys by a factor of god knows what, 1000 to 1 or maybe more
    As in my last post, I use this path maybe 5 or 6 times a week, no winks, arm waves, head rises or any of the other crap that seems to be part of the "cycling fraternity". It's a cycle path for fcuks sake, keeps us off the road.
    Get a life guys, you're all sounding like knobheads, it's a bicycle you're on, same as little children ride except you go a bit faster.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

The cyclist sitting on your wheel is possibly capable of paying attention and avoiding any hazards you may cause when braking hard and swerving off your line.
    That's quite a dangerous assumption.
    Is pedalling furiously and erratic riding not an offence of sorts.
    Who was "pedaling furiously and riding erratically"? :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think the offence includes "driving furiously" in its definition and was established as much to deal with bygone days when horses were the main resource for travelling long distances

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I finally went for a swim today. Pool was packed. Not one person in there knew the proper pool etiquette and how to conduct themselves in a pool/lane with competent swimmers.

Probably cause they were all just swimming minding their own business and I was the only one that knew what they were doing wrong. YouTube video to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tunney wrote: »
    I finally went for a swim today. Pool was packed. Not one person in there knew the proper pool etiquette and how to conduct themselves in a pool/lane with competent swimmers.

Probably cause they were all just swimming minding their own business and I was the only one that knew what they were doing wrong. YouTube video to follow

Did you go for a cycle and a run afterwards ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tunney wrote: »
    failig to indicate before changing lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Anto didn't hold back tonight! Still can't get a mention on the A1 show, even when I'm in faceless internet troll mode.

I would like to add that being a faceless virgin living with my mother at 50 is only a half-truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I get the feeling he is not the type to listen to alternative voices on his own channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The A1 cycling etiquette video: 5,359 views.

This crappy thread on a dying website with random contributions from a bunch of 50 year old internet virgin losers living in their mam's basement: 12,243 views.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    The A1 cycling etiquette video: 5,359 views.

This crappy thread on a dying website with random contributions from a bunch of 50 year old internet virgin losers living in their mam's basement: 12,243 views.

:pac:

Most of that is a bunch of nerds like me hitting F5 in the hopes that Anthony reappears.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I get the feeling he is not the type to listen to alternative voices on his own channel!

It's a very "safe space" bring a bucket if you venture to the comments section of the videos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    I think the offence includes "driving furiously" in its definition and was established as much to deal with bygone days when horses were the main resource for travelling long distances

Like back in your day when you were a lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Anyone got a link? I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

And the irony is, that's the best conversation about the women's nationals I've heard.

Have to say, I unsubscribed from A1 in the early days because it was non-stop spamming, but I'm warming to them again....

And the irony is, that's the best conversation about the women's nationals I've heard.

Have to say, I unsubscribed from A1 in the early days because it was non-stop spamming, but I'm warming to them again....

Yep I have to say I have more sympathy for the organisers after listening to A1s take on it.

I do actually like the show, it's new and a bit rough around the edges but it's good to hear a bit more about the domestic scene.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It was a parody video? :confused:

This thread has turned into a discussion of a now site-banned user. I've deleted the podcast - anyone can search for it if they wish but the poster warrants no more publicity here

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement