Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is upgrading from an SSHD to an SSD worth it

Options
  • 22-06-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At the moment I have a laptop which came with a 1TB SSHD. I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a 512GB SSD. The reason I want to upgrade is because the laptop has an i7 4700mq processor, 8GB of RAM, and the bottleneck always seems to be the SSHD whenever the laptop slows down, when I'm doing a lot at the same time (according to task manager).

The SSD I was looking at buying is the Samsung 850 EVO.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The GF has a Toshiba 1TB SSHD based system. Pile of junk. Expensive gaming rig (for light CAD) that feels like a E200 netbook. Replacing it is on my todo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes a SSD is far better than those SSHD's. They are only slightly faster than HD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hi,

At the moment I have a laptop which came with a 1TB SSHD. I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a 512GB SSD. The reason I want to upgrade is because the laptop has an i7 4700mq processor, 8GB of RAM, and the bottleneck always seems to be the SSHD whenever the laptop slows down, when I'm doing a lot at the same time (according to task manager).

The SSD I was looking at buying is the Samsung 850 EVO.

Thanks.

If you wouldn't miss the space I'd imagine the SSD would be much better, is it a Lenovo by any chance? The specs look exactly the same as my Lenovo. I was thinking about doing the same as you but it never shows any bottleneck problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

jca wrote: »
    If you wouldn't miss the space I'd imagine the SSD would be much better, is it a Lenovo by any chance? The specs look exactly the same as my Lenovo. I was thinking about doing the same as you but it never shows any bottleneck problems.

Ya it is a Lenovo it was on bargain alerts here a few years ago, great laptop! I get some issues the odd time where disk usage becomes quite high and the whole OS slows down as a result. Think I could probably do with a clean install of Windows as well as the SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Aspiring wrote: »
    Ya it is a Lenovo it was on bargain alerts here a few years ago, great laptop! I get some issues the odd time where disk usage becomes quite high and the whole OS slows down as a result. Think I could probably do with a clean install of Windows as well as the SSD.

Mine does that especially after Windows updates I went back to 8.1 as win 10 was a disaster. When it happens now I just leave it and use simple timer to shut it down after 30 mins, all is fine until the second Tuesday rolls around again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hard drives are useless for windows and multi tasking especially 2.5 inch ones in laptops.

Replace it and use the 1TB SSHD as an external storage drive. It will literally be hundreds of times faster.

Advertisement