Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed bin company, old company not collecting their bins

Options
  • 22-06-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I moved from one bin company to another and the first were meant to collect their bins within two weeks of contract cancellation.

We're past 6 weeks at this point and no amount of phone calls can get any movement out of them. Their "logistics" department never seems to be free to get transferred to, and i get no callbacks.

So, at what point do i own them, or at what point can i simply dump them on the street?
    Surely there must be some sort of reasonable limit after which i am no longer responsible for their property?

I'm not seeking to appropriate these things, i just want them gone...

Cheers for any info, and please ask away if you need clarification on anything.

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Stop the lorry on collection day and insist they take them away, you won't want to but at least you could get the driver to call the depo and get them to come out and take them. Or hand them in as lost property at the garda station.

If you are in Dublin could you take them up to a recycling center, Oxygen run a few in Dublin if they are your old bin company then they would have to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

one can make great things out of extra bins - perfect storage places once cleaned well.:-).I'd love to have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

fill them with water and turn them into paddling pools for the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

the_syco wrote: »

This would constitute theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Send a letter to the company telling them you are going to start charging them storage from X date. Also mention that lack of reply constitutes an acceptance of the agreement.

Let the clock tick and send them an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Fian wrote: »

That's the crux of my question.

At what point does that cease to be the case? I can't be expected to look after them forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I remember back in the day, my bin company wanted to charge me 40 euro to collect bins. I asked girl on phone whats charge for, she said they collect and clean them. I said not to worry, ill clean them and Ive a van and will drop them off..

Next day I came home and they were gone! No charge followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I changed Bin companies and had to get new bins. After several calls to the original company I was told to leave them outside, a few days later they where gone
    to my parents house where they are being used for storage

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fian wrote: »
    Because they gave them to the OP, or because they wouldn't take them back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd hazard a guess at which highly esteemed and professionally run company's bins they are and say 'Pity about them'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

the_syco wrote: »
    Because they gave them to the OP, or because they wouldn't take them back?

Because the bins are the property of the company, not the resident.

Get onto them on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭newo

I rang a few times and gave up. Still have them 8 years later will be getting rid of them next time I get a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

newo wrote: »
    I rang a few times and gave up. Still have them 8 years later will be getting rid of them next time I get a skip.

Had two of them for three years out of contract Took the account stickers with my name on them of the bins and left the bins at the road
    Two weeks later they were gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I have found this with many companies that 'loan' you their equipment for the length of the contract. I had UPC internet 7 years ago in Ireland and there was a contract clause requiring the return of the wireless router at the end of the contract. Ended the contract and asked when they'd pick up the router and had no response. I think it's still in a storage box in my parent's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many months after I bought my house, AES turned up to collect the bins left from the previous owner. Who was dead over a year and had been in a nursing home for at least another before. Seems to be about how quick they bother.

I've never seen anyone getting second hand bins on a new contract so I don't know what's done to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

L1011 wrote: »
    Many months after I bought my house, AES turned up to collect the bins left from the previous owner. Who was dead over a year and had been in a nursing home for at least another before. Seems to be about how quick they bother.

I've never seen anyone getting second hand bins on a new contract so I don't know what's done to them

I'd hope they know how to recycle them. :pac:

Advertisement