Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets - Portlaoise branch.

Options
  • 22-06-2017 10:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in food, but it's not about the entire franchise as much as about this specific branch. It's not so much a rant as a review with a question of, do people find the standards or takeaway franchises in Portlaoise to be less than in other pats of the country?

I'll explain.

Decided to spoil myself and the family as i have not had anything from Eddie Rockets in a while and always enjoyed it when i got it in Dublin. So i set off on the 58 mile round trip to Portlaoise to get it. Rang the order in so it'd be ready. I arrived, paid, and collected it in minutes and set off home. Got home, opened the bag, and here is where the "fun" starts.

The order was incomplete. An item missing. With a long drive i wasn't going back for it and as it was late enough it'd be after 9 before i got back.

When i opened the containers of the food i did get the hot dog looked worse than what i make at home. Dry hot dog, onions on only half of it and the "roll" was a normal bread roll you'd make a sandwich with and not a hot dog bun.

The chilli chips were a disaster. Soggy chips, with three times as much cheese as chilli so soggy and essentially chilli-less.

The "pièce de résistance" came in the form of what they call a southern fried chicken burger. The underside was burnt to the extent it had to be cut off the burger so it could be eaten without running the risk of breaking a tooth.

I rang the store. I got speaking to a "regular worker" (as he described himself) then to the manager. The manager had very poor broken English. Now this is not a shot at foreigners or the likes, but it's important that when someone has to speak to a manager of any company that the manager can parley in a coherent manner. I found myself not understanding some things, and having to repeat and ask for a repeat of the conversation.

The end result was a promise of a "free" item next time i'm in. Free. I asked what free item. I paid for one already and did not get it so it's not free, but simply me getting what i paid for. I was promised the staff would be "spoken to".

Wasn't expecting anymore to be honest because nowadays customer service is a fancy name for "we'll store your complaint in the trash pile" and "how dare you question us" all coupled with a hefty dose of "who gives a crap".

Now Eddie Rockets is not cheap compared to most other food outlets, but i knew this going in. I am utterly disappointed in the service, but especially the food.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Both the Limerick city branches have been renamed rockin Joe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm just surprised that someone would drive 60 miles for a burger and chips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mutant z wrote: »
    Both the Limerick city branches have been renamed rockin Joe's.
    Any reason?
    I'm just surprised that someone would drive 60 miles for a burger and chips.
    I live in the sticks, way, way in the sticks. It's 7 miles to the main road alone and delivery service doesn't exist. So it's either drive myself or go without.

The family wanted something different, so here we are.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Cass wrote: »
    I live in the sticks, way, way in the sticks. It's 7 miles to the main road alone and delivery service doesn't exist. So it's either drive myself or go without.

The family wanted something different, so here we are.

That kind of food just doesn't travel well though. Burgers and chips need to be eaten straight away in my opinion, not 45 minutes later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The food was slightly cooler than if i ate in the store, but it's the not temperature i'm annoyed at. I've outlined the reasons above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've eaten there twice and wasn't particularly impressed on either occasion.
    I thought the staff were slow to take orders, clean up etc...
    The majority seemed young and I put it down to it having only opened recently, but don't think that's a good enough excuse really.
    I felt the food was average at best, and we used to be big fans of Eddie Rockets years ago.

It's a pity as it's in a prime location.

Advertisement