Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol question

Options
  • 22-06-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi gents

New here first post. Looking for info off some wise men about what .22lr pistol i should buy. I am a member of a range and have took part in some training days. Dont want to go too expensive like hammerli etc. Seasoned shotgun man looking to expand the aul pastime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I got my first pistol last year and like yourself had no idea what to buy. I tried a.couple of members guns at my local range and I tried a good few when I was in America on holidays last year. I decided on a couple I liked but the problem was there is a very limited stock in dealers so in reality your limited to what RFDS have in stock unless you want to get in to the whole cycle of waiting until your RFD can source what your looking for. I'm not trying to put you off this was just my experience. On top of that the license side of it can be slower because it's a pistol. I was waiting 6 months on my license where as my 22lr rifle license came in 10 days !!! I have a beretta 87T and absolutely love it, can't recommend it highly enough. Any other questions feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I got my first pistol last year and like yourself had no idea what to buy. I tried a.couple of members guns at my local range and I tried a good few when I was in America on holidays last year. I decided on a couple I liked but the problem was there is a very limited stock in dealers so in reality your limited to what RFDS have in stock unless you want to get in to the whole cycle of waiting until your RFD can source what your looking for. I'm not trying to put you off this was just my experience. On top of that the license side of it can be slower because it's a pistol. I was waiting 6 months on my license where as my 22lr rifle license came in 10 days !!! I have a beretta 87T and absolutely love it, can't recommend it highly enough. Any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks very much for the advice. I was looking at a sig mosquito?? Dont want to go for an all out target pistol as i might be ****e at it. Yeah i was afraid of the licence bit because of the taboo of a pistol that seems to float about but said feck it no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Short answer.
    Take a day off,and visit every gun dealer that stocks .22 pistols that you can get to and try out everything until you find something you like.Do the same at any range you are at too.Asking and reading stuff is fine,but in the end it's like finding a wife.Find something that fits your criteria and expectations in real life.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Short answer.
    Take a day off,and visit every gun dealer that stocks .22 pistols that you can get to and try out everything until you find something you like.Do the same at any range you are at too.Asking and reading stuff is fine,but in the end it's like finding a wife.Find something that fits your criteria and expectations in real life.:)

Thanks grizzly. Tried a hammerli beretta the sig mosquito and a model 41 so far and i liked the sig but it gets bad reviews on feeding and jamming

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Short answer.

RUN AWAY from SIG Mosquietos and Walther P22 things.There are some horror stories abounding of them here.They are liscensed copies not original guns made by either company.The company that makes the parts for them is called UMAREX in Germany.Thy also make blank firers and airsoft copies of the same gun,and it is rumoured some of the components are interchangeable,and made of the same pot metal!! Not a biggie where it can be fixed within a few days with replacement parts on the continent.An utter PITFH over here with export and import liscenses to ship the gun back and forwards for repair.
    Spend a few extra bucks and buy a brand like Ruger,S&W ,Hammerli,Beretta,CZ Colt[if you luck into a nice Woodsman or Ace]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Short answer.

RUN AWAY from SIG Mosquietos and Walther P22 things.There are some horror stories abounding of them here.They are liscensed copies not original guns made by either company.The company that makes the parts for them is called UMAREX in Germany.Thy also make blank firers and airsoft copies of the same gun,and it is rumoured some of the components are interchangeable,and made of the same pot metal!! Not a biggie where it can be fixed within a few days with replacement parts on the continent.An utter PITFH over here with export and import liscenses to ship the gun back and forwards for repair.
    Spend a few extra bucks and buy a brand like Ruger,S&W ,Hammerli,Beretta,CZ Colt[if you luck into a nice Woodsman or Ace]

Same as everything you pay for what you get and quality is not cheap. Thanks

I'm open to correction on this but you can join a range, buy a pistol and as long as you store it at the range your good to go while waiting on your license to come through. You might want to have a chat with your local FO and see what security requirements he will be looking for. For example my FO wanted me to get a separate safe from my rifle safe and keep the two safes in different parts of the house. There was a guy on here recently with two sigs for sale

Im going to licence it to my local rfd shop id say. Id have no need to bring it home as it has no other use than target shooting. Let him keep it safely stored in his gun room.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I'm open to correction on this but you can join a range, buy a pistol and as long as you store it at the range your good to go while waiting on your license to come through. You might want to have a chat with your local FO and see what security requirements he will be looking for. For example my FO wanted me to get a separate safe from my rifle safe and keep the two safes in different parts of the house. There was a guy on here recently with two sigs for sale

How many ranges in Ireland have facilities to store pistols ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Try Ruger MKII/III and Browning Buck Mark or Smith and Wessen 41. 3 good pistols I see a lot at the range or if you are willing to give up accuracy some people like the 1911 in 22LR. Stay away from the SIG

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »

Harbour house does. Have lockers you can rent

Edit could just be for licence holders though not sure

Hack12 wrote: »
    Try Ruger MKII/III and Browning Buck Mark or Smith and Wessen 41. 3 good pistols I see a lot at the range or if you are willing to give up accuracy some people like the 1911 in 22LR. Stay away from the SIG

Thank you the sig is out the window now. The buckmark is a fine bit of kit thanks for that

Wadi14 wrote: »

The range I shoot at has storage facilities. I left my rifle and pistol with them for 3 weeks whilst I was on holidays. I know courtlough has storage as well although not sure if it's just rifle and shotgun only or if pistols are allowed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a beretta 87T and absolutely love it, can't recommend it highly enough.

I used to have one. The main issue with this pistol for me is that the grip is very small. If you have small hands that won't matter. The trigger is a little heavy for my liking but nice and crisp. Other than that it is very reliable, accurate and looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

Hi mate, not sure whereabouts you are but the wife and I went to a RFD in the North and he had loads of pistols in stock that we could handle. And was willing to let us see and handle revolvers even though he knew we wouldn't be ale to buy one. And it really is a matter of how the pistol feels in your hand, lifting it ect.

At one stage we had 8/10 different pistols on the counter and it was then a matter of elimination after that!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

Thank you the sig is out the window now. The buckmark is a fine bit of kit thanks for that

I had all 3.

Buckmark
    Ruger MKIII
    S&W 41

I don't have the Buckmark or the MKIII.

Buckmark - great action and easy to maintain; grip too small
    Ruger MKIII - complicated action and required constant cleaning
    S&W 41 - simple reliability; I met the designer at the S&W Museum. He was in his 80's. He was still sharp as his tackdriver.

The new Ruger avoids many of the pitfalls of the MKIII. Therefore, I would suggest do not buy a MKIII. There will be less resale value.

n1ey wrote: »
    I had all 3.

Buckmark
    Ruger MKIII
    S&W 41

I don't have the Buckmark or the MKIII.

Buckmark - great action and easy to maintain; grip too small
    Ruger MKIII - complicated action and required constant cleaning
    S&W 41 - simple reliability; I met the designer at the S&W Museum. He was in his 80's. He was still sharp as his tackdriver.

The new Ruger avoids many of the pitfalls of the MKIII. Therefore, I would suggest do not buy a MKIII. There will be less resale value.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Just be weary of Ruger MK IV as they have been recalled by Ruger if decide to go that route. Make sure the recall work has been done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Hack12 wrote: »
    Just be weary of Ruger MK IV as they have been recalled by Ruger if decide to go that route. Make sure the recall work has been done

What problems did they have, they had to be recalled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

gunny123 wrote: »
    What problems did they have, they had to be recalled ?

It wasnt all of them, it was a safety issue, However companies like volquartsen tried to replicate the issue and failed and issued a statement saying they couldn't but to send it off for the new part anyway to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement