Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nex Machina (PC + PS4)

Options
  • 22-06-2017 11:32pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Housemarque have teamed up with arcade veteran Eugene Jarvis for this follow-up to Resogun, and it plays like a dream. A twin stick shooter and a completely pure example of the form - modern sensibilities mixed with old-school thrills.

At first, mere survival will be the main instinct. But as you progress through the levels you'll discover they're actually very dense things - full of secrets to help you survive and more importantly boost that high score. It becomes a thrilling balancing act as you attempt to clear the screen while also attempting to find the hidden bonuses (including secret areas of the level) before you're booted to the next wave of enemies. All the while trying to ensure you don't pick up one of the crappy power-ups by mistake :p

The intensity, predictably, is continuously ratcheted up as you progress through the five levels. The game is a little longer than your old arcade effort - and a couple of levels could likely be shortened for a punchier experience TBH - but it also benefits from being a ceaselessly demanding slice of artful twitch gameplay. It is a joy to play, and Housemarque again prove themselves some of the only developers outside Japan to really be able to tap into the simple pleasures of popcorn enemies, elaborate scoring systems, and a ****load of pink bullets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just bought this tonight and was about to start a thread. :)

An absolute cracker of a game - pure adrenaline. I look forward to getting good at it! It's pretty damn hard.

I have to mention the soundtrack too. Incredible music. The soundtrack is on Spotify if anybody wants a listen.

https://open.spotify.com/album/35BhmUHXtU6ouuNDHsgR79

If you buy on Steam, there is an extra 10% off if you have Outland in your library (Housemarque gave away Outland for free a few weeks ago).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    It's pretty damn hard.

Yeah started on medium difficulty, but boosted down to rookie for a playthrough this evening. They're actually right to explicitly recommend a few whirls of rookie first, as it'll give you more time to learn what the levels are about and where things are hidden. Then it's time to up the difficulty for the hellish onslaught :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've only been able to play through one round of Arcade on experienced. I was doing relatively fine until the final boss which took about 30 continues off me.

I just love how housemarque games seem absolutely impossible but the mor you keep playing, learning the mechanics and understanding the levels and enemies, you just get so much further than you'd think.

Also I love that they just throw you into it, no explanation of anything. You do something and that's how you learn.

Never forget to dash before jumping to the next area :)

Advertisement