Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would nationalisation mean for Radio Nova?

• 22-06-2017 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

If Radio Nova does go national, do you think there will be major changes to the station? Let me know you're thoughts below!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A separate thread? Really?

If you meant "nationalisation" in the correct sense of the word, now that might be an interesting question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Less good Dublin travel alerts on traffic and either more bogger alerts or no alerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

+1

but seeing as you ask....more ads for "rural" products tractorpartsorus.com. etc .. even more AC/DC, traffic reports from all places and farming forecasts meaning 30% less music.....they've just scraped into the 1 in10 category, might slip back to half in 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien is not happy with the BAI.Sounds like he doesn't want competition!
    Billionaire is a monopolist? Surely not!

But ... in a way I agree with him - there are arguably too many licences out there already. The BAI is almost behaving in a way like the county councils were during the boom - if the market wants to finance more stations then we should facilitate the market in doing so. All the while raking in the broadcasting levies to keep the gravy train going.

In fact, Newstalk is doing so badly financially that Dinny recently wanted to move it from one of his stables (Communicorp) to another (INM), for a price in excess of what it was worth.

Not that they will, but the Government/BAI should call his bluff and say - "we agree with you, Dinny. There are too many licences. So we're not going to renew the Newstalk/Today FM licence when it comes up".

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The Newstalk and TodayFM licences are completely different though. It's argued that if you take one out then RTÉ will have a monopoly of those particular markets.

The broadcasting levy is a joke though. Commercial stations have to pay it while RTÉ has to pay **** all as well has being able to claim advertising and the licence fee.

As if that's not enough, RTE can also claim the sound and vision funding. The commercial sector really is in a dire situation and the outdated BAI laws are killing radio as a whole.

Long gone are the days where a DJ can pick the music they play. In most cases they're given a set playlist so the station can ensure its meeting its obligations. The calls for 20% Irish music to be upped to 40 is only going to make that worse as well if it was to come to fruition.

What Communicorp are saying is absolutely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

If you meant "nationalisation" in the correct sense of the word, now that might be an interesting question.

To be fair, the other thread was about licensed Nova's sixth birthday last September.

I think it's almost certain that there will be at least one new presenter on Nova this autumn whether they go national or not. It's possible Nikki Hayes might be made Dee Woods' permanent replacement on MG, and the article about her moving back to evenings does suggest that CI is an interim replacement for her. Colm Hayes hasn't ruled out doing more presenting work on the station either. I also think it would be nice to hear more Phantom TX names on Nova, and Jack Hyland is working in Limerick at the moment so maybe if they go national/multi city they could let him broadcast from there. The playlist ought to improve, be updated every week or two. Less 4FM-friendly pop like "come up and see me", more actual rock like Iron Maiden. Maybe aim for a hybrid of TX and Planet Rock, with a policy perhaps that 30% of the playlist should be newer bands like the Temperance Movement. I know these changes are unlikely but I think for rock music to stay alive, we need to support the younger, promising bands.

I think it's almost certain that there will be at least one new presenter on Nova this autumn whether they go national or not. It's possible Nikki Hayes might be made Dee Woods' permanent replacement on MG, and the article about her moving back to evenings does suggest that CI is an interim replacement for her. Colm Hayes hasn't ruled out doing more presenting work on the station either. I also think it would be nice to hear more Phantom TX names on Nova, and Jack Hyland is working in Limerick at the moment so maybe if they go national/multi city they could let him broadcast from there. The playlist ought to improve, be updated every week or two. Less 4FM-friendly pop like "come up and see me", more actual rock like Iron Maiden. Maybe aim for a hybrid of TX and Planet Rock, with a policy perhaps that 30% of the playlist should be newer bands like the Temperance Movement. I know these changes are unlikely but I think for rock music to stay alive, we need to support the younger, promising bands.

Never happen Mikey......irish listeners would never go for that...which is why we have Nova and not TX...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

CI? Conor Irwin I presume?

Yes, it would be great to hear more Phantom / TXFM names. Fiona Scully, who does the gig guide, is ex-Phantom. Earlier this year Dee Reddy (Phantom and TXFM) was doing news and sports. Is she still there? Last but not least, when you mentioned Jack Hyland (ex-Phantom), I checked out what he was doing now. I did not realise that he is Commercial Production Manager with Limerick's Live 95FM. Hint: look for Moss Breathnach on Linkedin! The question is has he moved on from Nova at this stage? But there are plenty of other names that would be very happy to have some slots on Nova if it were to go national.

• Advertisement

CI? Conor Irwin I presume?

Yes, it would be great to hear more Phantom / TXFM names. Fiona Scully, who does the gig guide, is ex-Phantom. Earlier this year Dee Reddy (Phantom and TXFM) was doing news and sports. Is she still there? Last but not least, when you mentioned Jack Hyland (ex-Phantom), I checked out what he was doing now. I did not realise that he is Commercial Production Manager with Limerick's Live 95FM. Hint: look for Moss Breathnach on Linkedin! The question is has he moved on from Nova at this stage? But there are plenty of other names that would be very happy to have some slots on Nova if it were to go national.

CI Conor Irwin? Yup.

And Fiona's surname is SCALLY, easy mistake to make!

CI Conor Irwin? Yup.

And Fiona's surname is SCALLY, easy mistake to make!

Tomato- potato..........:p

They just played the Courteeners! albeit Pat Courtenay mispronounced them as the cor-te-NEERS instead of the cor-TEE-ners.

Did'nt hear it ..listening to 6Music all day...it was like a head massage ....:)
    Enjoying Ghostpoet "Freakshow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Did'nt hear it ..listening to 6Music all day...it was like a head massage ....:)
    Enjoying Ghostpoet "Freakshow"

I've had the opportunity of listening to BBC 6 Music most days so far this summer. Fantastic station. I've got my music mojo back ... great enjoyment listening to all the great new music out there.

I've had the opportunity of listening to BBC 6 Music most days so far this summer. Fantastic station. I've got my music mojo back ... great enjoyment listening to all the great new music out there.

Lucky ba$tard............:D

Anyone who thinks Nova is a great station is a fool imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FM738

The BAI shouldn't allow Nova to go national. Here's why. 

After 7 years on air they have never once hit over a 5% share of listening in Dublin and currently stand at 3.7% in the market. They have a reach of about 52000 according to the latest JNLR figures and not one of their shows has ever appeared in the Dublin Top 20. A pretty poor performance for a radio station on air that length of time.

Nova have spent big with expansive outdoor advertising campaigns, but yet they remain stagnant and unable to break into the kind of reach or share where they would be able to compete with the big stations in Dublin. That indicates that there is a glass ceiling or people simply don't like the station as much as its owners think. It takes a quick look at the comments on the "listener-led" campaign to go national on Facebook and you'll see that not everybody shares the stations appetite for nationalisation.

FM738 wrote: »

After 7 years on air they have never once hit over a 5% share of listening in Dublin and currently stand at 3.7% in the market. They have a reach of about 52000 according to the latest JNLR figures and not one of their shows has ever appeared in the Dublin Top 20. A pretty poor performance for a radio station on air that length of time.

Nova have spent big with expansive outdoor advertising campaigns, but yet they remain stagnant and unable to break into the kind of reach or share where they would be able to compete with the big stations in Dublin. That indicates that there is a glass ceiling or people simply don't like the station as much as its owners think. It takes a quick look at the comments on the "listener-led" campaign to go national on Facebook and you'll see that not everybody shares the stations appetite for nationalisation.

Nicely put.............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Superb station for people who like quality music and not the cardboard tripe being played to the masses on every other station in Ireland currently.

I'm very sure they'd be a hit nationwide and should be allowed to broadcast if they go for the licence.

Schwanz wrote: »
    Superb station for people who like quality music and not the cardboard tripe being played to the masses on every other station in Ireland currently.

I'm very sure they'd be a hit nationwide and should be allowed to broadcast if they go for the licence.

Yikes...:eek:.....i would argue, with the exception of JC and PJ , the exact opposite........

• Advertisement

Yikes...:eek:.....i would argue, with the exception of JC and PJ , the exact opposite........

And Gavin Glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

But all the playlist is 'safe' music... If I have the radio on in the car, getting more and more rare, I will listen to Nova.. it is okay. I will know all the music that they play but will never hear a song or band I don't already know.

The presenters tho.. ugh. Not a likeable one among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Comparing to other stations in Ireland is setting the bar fairly low in terms of music choice. Nova is different to Spin or i, but 'quality music' ... not in my opinion. There are fantastic options nowadays, whether it's Spotify or foreign radio stations that are easily accessible on smart phones, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'd be happier if they stayed the way they are.
    If they go national then they will eventually turn into another 2fm clone... Playing the latest shyte from rhianna etc

52,000? So that's one in 34, not the one in 10 they had been claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

For a niche radio station their market share is very good - I would not expect any of their shows to appear in the Dublin Top 20 - which is after all dominated by RTE Radio 1.......

The BAI would be very happy if a niche could get 3.7% to 5% nationally

Infoanon wrote: »
    For a niche radio station their market share is very good - I would not expect any of their shows to appear in the Dublin Top 20 - which is after all dominated by RTE Radio 1.......

The BAI would be very happy if a niche could get 3.7% to 5% nationally

He means the Dublin-specific stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Comparing to other stations in Ireland is setting the bar fairly low in terms of music choice. Nova is different to Spin or i, but 'quality music' ... not in my opinion. There are fantastic options nowadays, whether it's Spotify or foreign radio stations that are easily accessible on smart phones, etc.

Each to their own and all that jazz.

Would agree that Spotify is pretty amazing though

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

The BAI shouldn't really be basing their license application on the fact they haven't been able to get a huge share in Dublin. It's a niche station, making it national would open up a whole new market to grow the station surely.

The BAI have asked people to apply for licenses, if they can provide enough stats and what not they should be allowed to take a national license, it's on the station to provide the service and not the BAI.

Plenty of people here would love to have heard TXFM go national or even mutli-city, because they would be able to target more people from different regions who also have an interest in that music, and they had a poor listener ship for it's run.

I don't understand why people get upset about the possibility of NOVA going national, it's a private company, it's not like we pay for it! How could it going national really be a bad thing?

• Advertisement

A little bit off topic but does anyone in the Midlands listen to Billy Mac on Midlands 103, Sunday evenings? He plays a great mix of classic rock music, some of which Nova never play. On Sunday he played Neil Young's "Four Strong Winds" and dedicated it to John Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wireless11

KReid wrote: »
    The BAI shouldn't really be basing their license application on the fact they haven't been able to get a huge share in Dublin. It's a niche station, making it national would open up a whole new market to grow the station surely.

The BAI have asked people to apply for licenses, if they can provide enough stats and what not they should be allowed to take a national license, it's on the station to provide the service and not the BAI.

Plenty of people here would love to have heard TXFM go national or even mutli-city, because they would be able to target more people from different regions who also have an interest in that music, and they had a poor listener ship for it's run.

I don't understand why people get upset about the possibility of NOVA going national, it's a private company, it's not like we pay for it! How could it going national really be a bad thing?

In terms of expressions of interest by BAI , it's my view that they've just put out feelers as to what might be desirable should they agree to grant additional national licences . To be fair to Nova they've been up front in saying they'd apply . That Communicorp are set against licences is the best reason to grant one or more

But a couple of things to ponder

1. BAI has only put out feelers
    2. They've never said it would be rock licence
    3. Nova seems more interested in multicity than national - could go against them
    4 there'd likely be more than one applicant , so it could well end up as a "beauty contest"

In nova or anyone else's favour , I've had reason to do a lot of weekend driving around Ireland of late and the lack of anything close to rock on most stations is extremely depressing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wireless11

In terms of expressions of interest by BAI , it's my view that they've just put out feelers as to what might be desirable should they agree to grant additional national licences . To be fair to Nova they've been up front in saying they'd apply . That Communicorp are set against licences is the best reason to grant one or more

But a couple of things to ponder

1. BAI has only put out feelers
    2. They've never said it would be rock licence
    3. Nova seems more interested in multicity than national - could go against them
    4 there'd likely be more than one applicant , so it could well end up as a "beauty contest"

In nova or anyone else's favour , I've had reason to do a lot of weekend driving around Ireland of late and the lack of anything close to rock on most stations is extremely depressing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

Country Fm are also interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

With Martin Block on board who has a good record of winning bids - Capital/Lite/4FM

Hopefully the expressions of interest lead to new services

Infoanon wrote: »
    With Martin Block on board who has a good record of winning bids - Capital/Lite/4FM

Hopefully the expressions of interest lead to new services

I wonder will Mr Block try to win back the 4fm licence when it comes up for renewal soon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

So potentially we could get two national stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Notwithstanding the expense of building a national transmitter network or the commercial viability of any particular format, from a technical point of view is it possible? How many more fully national stations could be fitted in on the FM band?

So potentially we could get two national stations.

I don't know about Country fms plans but Nova are only planning Multi city, they have left out the northwest and south east afaik

Advertisement